Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

IMPACT MANUAL

Posted by Nokta Detectors 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
IMPACT MANUAL
March 20, 2017 03:19PM
Dear Members,
Below is the link to the manual as promised.
I am sorry it took long but we went thru several edits.
Thank you all who helped us with the manual.

[noktadetectors.com]
Re: IMPACT MANUAL
March 20, 2017 04:22PM
Most comprehensive user manual I have read. Half the fun is reading the specs.
March 20, 2017 04:58PM
Thank you.
Mike
March 20, 2017 05:19PM
Nice job to all that contributed to the manual.

Lots of interesting bits in there, both explaining details on various topics and features, and lots of interesting settings to tackle the field conditions at hand.
March 20, 2017 06:02PM
FANTASTIC JOB!!!!
March 20, 2017 07:32PM
That was an interesting read. And very good English,( well, U.S English). I spotted the word 'ploughed' in there, do you U.S guys use that spelling? I assumed you all used 'plowed'.

It's interesting that the sensitivity falls off then recovers as discrimination is increased from 00, obviously the same technique is used that Fisher/Teknetics implement in the F75 / T2. But it's good that Nokta actually point out this odd feature in the manual, as it's not at all obvious to the typical user. Maybe adding some chart detailing the changes would also help the explanation.

There's quite a list of Euro/UK/US coins tabled there (maybe too many) , but it would be a good idea to give a rough guide to some non-coin targets, both wanted and unwanted. Such as pulltabs of various types; finger rings, gold and silver; Minie-ball bullets; airgun pellets; foil etc, etc. No doubt many purchasers of the Impact will be skilled enough to work out these things, but it may help those less experienced.

It would be nice if more mechanical dimensions were included. For example the length when fully collapsed. And distance from handgrip to elbow cup, and its range of adjustment. Though I've not had one in my hand, I can't help wonder if the elbow-cup could have more 'layback' (ie. it's further back, using the same fixing holes), it wouldn't increase the overall length of the machine, as the 'battery-box' is the longest part.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 11:16PM by Pimento.
March 20, 2017 10:48PM
March 20, 2017 11:21PM
The Impact User Manual, like those for their other models, is an excellent example of how ALL manufacturers ought to put in the time and effort to convey useful, informative details. I only noted one key error and e-mailed Dilek right away about it, but that would have been about 8:45 PM 'Turkey Time' or within an hour of that since we're on that nutty Daylight Savings Time here in Oregon.

This should help those who are curious about the Impact get the direct answers to their questions w/o posting them on Forums.

An excellent job done by Dilek and the Nokta Detector's group!

Monte
March 21, 2017 12:19AM
Dilek,

It appears the ID scale chart is reversed. The 00-40 and the 00-15 are reversed. Other field-testers....... please verify/validate.
March 21, 2017 12:33AM
I just want to point out that Nokta's (and Makro's) policy of being as open as possible to
users when they develop new products extends to their User Manual also.

I bought a Racer when they first came out two years ago. I love it. When the Racer 2 came
out a year ago, I was interested and read the User Manual as soon as it was posted.
I'm one of those annoying people who sees typos and confusing wording in whatever
he reads, so I decided to write up a list of suggested corrections and improvements.
After all, English is not the native language of the people who put it together, so there
were bound to be some problems. The problems were pretty minor, but a few were there.

I emailed the list to Dilek and she updated the Racer 2 User Manual immediately.
Within a day, I think, the revised manual with my suggestions was online.

I never bought the Racer 2, but I've watched for the Impact for the past year.
I wanted to read all the details, so I emailed Dilek again and offered to copy edit the
Impact's User Manual when she had a draft available. She responded favorably and I
got the first draft at the same time the testers did. I sent in updates, as I assume
most of the testers did, although they were concentrating on the content that explained
how the machine worked. My focus was on clarity and understandability to native
English speakers.

Then last Friday, March 17, I received from Dilek the updated manual in PDF form.
I went through it and emailed more suggestions and corrections late Friday night
(my time, in California). She had promised on one forum that she would be editing
the manual on Monday (today), so I wanted to get her the edits quickly.

She didn't accept all my suggestions (and we would all be worse off if Nokta
accepted ALL suggestions from users), but she quickly updated the manual and
now it's online. Amazing responsiveness. I'm very impressed with how quickly
Nokta gets things done and how good the final Impact User Manual is.

Congratulations to Nokta and to Dilek! You're doing it right!
March 21, 2017 12:41AM
Your manuals have always been of the highest standard, just like the products they are written for -

A level of professionalism only others can dream of -

Thank you Dilek & Team Nokta/Makro

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 21, 2017 12:47AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dilek,
>
> It appears the ID scale chart is reversed. The
> 00-40 and the 00-15 are reversed. Other field-test
> ers....... please verify/validate.

I think you're right. I should have seen that myself.
Just exchange the parenthetical phrase in the two headers
and it will be right. Correct?
March 21, 2017 12:59AM
Very nice, saved it to my desktop

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 21, 2017 01:06AM
TallTom, that was the way to share information. In testing I submitted what things I could see, and with the manual published for us today I quickly noted one main error and e-mailed Dilek directly about it, just as you contacted her with things you noticed. I think that is the more professional way to handle such an observation of a freshly produced User Manual rather than post comments about it on an open Forum. Give the manufacturer the alert to allow them to make any corrections they feel are necessary.

Just my personal thoughts in such a topic.
March 21, 2017 07:47AM
Nokta has updated the Impact User Manual to correct the error that NASA-Tom
spotted. If you download it again, the headers in Table 1 are now correct.
March 21, 2017 12:31PM
Thank you all guys...really...I sometimes feel like some of you are part of my team here:-)

HUGE THANKS AGAIN!!!
March 21, 2017 01:29PM
N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 04:55PM by Mike Hillis.