Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 - Brass/bronze masked by iron problem

Posted by damiano 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 - Brass/bronze masked by iron problem
April 19, 2009 04:46PM
Hello,
After today's saerch i'm very angry about my incompetence (detector i'snt guilty).
When I search WWI fuses like this ----> [www.passioncompassion1418.com]
I loose many of them beacuse iron masked bronze/brass.I figure out about that by accident - strange singal about VID 20-22 (usually VID above 60) I check and I'm round-eyed.After I get fuse off the ground signal was on iron VID 16 (bouncing).

I walked with settings:
sens 98
motion AM mode
treshold -1
ground about 80

I try 1F or 1 and disc 6 but VID still doesn't show brass/bronze (show's about VID 6-9)

Can anyone tell me how set F75 to don't have that situation again ?? Or this is simple - impossible ....

PS.Sorry about my english winking smiley
Re: F75 - Brass/bronze masked by iron problem
April 20, 2009 08:59AM
Sounds like severe masking. In your unique situation, you are going to have to experiment with your detector..... to find out what/how your specific site requires. Maybe a Disc '5' setting.
April 20, 2009 10:45AM
NASA-Tom
What you mean experiment ??
In AMM or only in Disc mode ??
A few questions
April 20, 2009 02:57PM
Damiano,

What depth are the fuses that you are detecting? How much iron shrapnel is in the ground around the fuses? Is there any iron still attached to the fuses? What does the FE3 O4 meter on the right side of the display read? Is there anything underground (such as iron re-enforced bunkers, pipelines, old dumps) that could be masking the fuses? Do you get a lot of "chatter" and jumping around of the VID while detecting? Do the fuses usually "lock" in above 60 or do they jump around a lot before settling above 60? What is the size of the fuses and how deep? What size coil are you using? This may seem like a silly question but have you switched your hunting shoes lately? I have found that the number and size of the metal lacing eyelets can cause a lot of problems. And of course steel toed shoes will drive the detector crazy.

Cuniagau

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
Re: A few questions
April 20, 2009 09:35PM
Do these 'copper' fuses stick to a magnet?
Do they lock on to a solid VDI in an air-test?

Experiment by.... trying different Disc settings, , , then Sens settings.
April 20, 2009 09:46PM
Cuniagau
Dept about 5"; no shrapnel around fuses; Yes, iron attached to bronze (like on photo from first post); Fe3O4 meter gives high indication; No any other iron except this attached to fuse; No chatter; Fuses gives signal 68, 72,78; Standard DD coil; My boots does'nt interference detector...

NASA-Tom
Bronze fuse attached to iron part
In air tests it lock on iron range 6,7,8 usually when iron is in front of coil

I'll try with defferent settings as sooon as possible and post results.

April 20, 2009 11:50PM
Sounds like these fuses primary component is iron. Not much can be done about this.
April 21, 2009 05:36AM
NASA-Tom
No, primary component is bronze/brass (in proportion 2/1) but fuses lay in ground iron part up in many cases i think.

Thanks for advices.

iron or "nickel type" metals have been with the ID Edge. Simply dig everything that bounces iron/non-ferrous or gives a semi-repeatable non-ferrous reading. The 6" concentric coil works very well but, the stock 8" coil should not be ignored.

I have never used the F75 but have used the T2 and while the DD coil is very good at unmasking "co-located" targets a bit better and deeper, when it comes to mixed iron/non-ferrous signatures the ID Edge somehow does it better. Just another feather in Dimitar's cap!

90% of my detecting time is spent hunting low conductive gold jewelry in iron infested fresh water lakes.

Tom Z
Yes, the orientation of these fuses..... especially if the iron component is closest/upward facing, they will be more readily ID'able as iron.