Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can a Tesoro CleanSweep coil be tuned to work on a Fisher F75?

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can a Tesoro CleanSweep coil be tuned to work on a Fisher F75?
April 12, 2017 01:27PM
Tesoro makes a Cleansweep coil that works with their 10 kHz and 12 kHz detectors. Can this same coil be tuned to work with the F75's 13 kHz?

I keep waiting for the after market folks to make something like it but they are all busy copying each other copy the OEM.

Some of you guys have the know how...Sandman, Treasure747, SVEN1, Pimento....

What do you think...would it be hard to do?

HH
Mike
Re: Can a Tesoro CleanSweep coil be tuned to work on a Fisher F75?
April 12, 2017 01:58PM
It doesn't look particularly promising.
From what I can find, the Tesoro coil spec is: TX = 950 microHenry, 4.3 Ohms; RX = 15.8 mH, 63 Ohms
Whereas the F75 spec. I measured as: TX = 690 microHenry, 1.9 Ohms; RX = 6.95 mH, 37 Ohms.

So you've got too much inductance on the TX, which is not good - if it was too little, you could do something about it. The resistance is too high as well, in my opinion. The RX side is perhaps acceptable.

I could find out the pinout details if you want to give it a go and make an adaptor etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 02:44PM by Pimento.
April 12, 2017 02:12PM
There's your answer. But in layman's terms, no. The first thing to consider is the pin arrangement. They are, for the most part, different between manufactures(however that can be overcome by rewiring and soldering). The next thing is the frequency has to match exactly for optimum performance and if it off quite a bit, any performance.
April 12, 2017 02:22PM
Its very rare that a coil that was designed for a specific model or detecting brand works on another different brand,it is possible the classic example that comes too mind is that all Minelab Mono GPX/GP/SD coil will work very well on the Whites TDI range of detectors and allied models in the the TDI range but they wont work the other way round ie Whites on the Minelab Pulse range.Which is of course great news for Whites Pulse owners as this then offers a massive coil range,currently use 4 Minelab coils on my TDI Pro.
April 12, 2017 03:35PM
It's worse than that. I had a Cleansweep 4-pin for a 14 kHz Vaquero once; never should have sold that coil! I went so far as to mail it to coil guru Dan Geyer at White's to see if he could convert it to run on a 14 kHz MXT. Yeah, I know they make the Bigfoot for MXT, I have one. But this lack of coils has been bugging me for a long time and I figured since I could not get Whites to make BigFoot coils (they claim the crossover design is too labor intensive) then perhaps an elongated DD would be easier for them.

OK, I am not a tech guy, but Dan could not do it even though the coil was already the right frequency. The problem if I have this right is most coils are independent of the detector circuit and tuned in and of themselves. The Tesoro coils are different, actually part of the complete whole of the detector and tuned as part of the detector? I am sorry, I don't know exactly how to put that in words, hopefully a tech type understands what I am trying to say and can translate. Bottom line could not be done.

Frankly I did not care about that I just wanted Whites to see the coil to get them to do something similar. No go as usual. I tried hard to get Nok/Mak on it, and thought surely they would be game. Cleansweep on Racer 2 would be killer! But no joy there so far either

I kind of get why the BigFoot design is not something people want to tackle, but the Cleansweep looks to be an easy build. Why won't NEL or DeTech do it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 03:46PM by Steve Herschbach.
April 12, 2017 05:01PM
I couldn't talk 1st Texas Products into it either, Steve. They'll happily make the 'triangulated' coils but not a long rectangular DD. It was labeled as a 'specialty' coil which they had no interest in.

HH
Mike
April 13, 2017 10:09PM
I remember Jim Pugh I think it was getting a Troy X5 5x10 DD to work on the Gold Bug a few years back with a connector swap and maybe a added resistor ??

Both 19khz units..

You may contact him and see what he says ..I think he goes by The Mayor on forums..He used to own Anchor Electronics..Barracuda fame..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 10:11PM by Keith Southern.
April 13, 2017 10:58PM
Beyonder-Pa
The first thing to consider is the pin arrangement.
They are, for the most part, different between manufactures(however that can be overcome by rewiring and soldering).

Please excuse me. The pin arrangement is the last thing you consider.

Beyonder-Pa
The next thing is the frequency has to match exactly for optimum performance and if it off quite a bit, any performance.

Please excuse me, but that is not correct.

I have more experience in this subject than you can throw a piano at.

Now what Pimento said.......

It doesn't look particularly promising.
From what I can find, the Tesoro coil spec is: TX = 950 microHenry, 4.3 Ohms; RX = 15.8 mH, 63 Ohms
Whereas the F75 spec. I measured as: TX = 690 microHenry, 1.9 Ohms; RX = 6.95 mH, 37 Ohms.

So you've got too much inductance on the TX, which is not good - if it was too little, you could do something about it. The resistance is too high as well, in my opinion. The RX side is perhaps acceptable.

That is pretty darn spot on.

I have one friend that has over 60 years for experience in electronics.
If you guys saw his machines you would think someone is pulling some kind of prank on you.
It looks like a dam zoo, with all the animal parts switched around.

Garrett Deepseeker 5.5Khz machine ... wearing a current production Fisher Gold Bug 19Khz coil.
So hot, it sees hack saw gold and sounds off like it was a house key!

"Many, many, more, take my word for it".
I wrote up a big post on the Compass forum of what that guy taught me about pulling off swaps like that.
All of it is gone, and it's "way" too much to do all over again.

I'll say this, you guys pick the best you can in the way of coil experts, the guy I'm talking about will take them to school.
No brag, just flat out fact.

There is phase and mathematics involved, and yes, some Kentucky Windage.
But for the most part it's knowing a couple of things you have to find out the hard way.
Time, tons and tons of time.
Then comes when you "break the code".
From that point you're on your way to doing some amazing things, things that others think isn't at all possible.

Dam, I love this hobby.

It's the only one that pays off in money and jewelry.

Can I hear an "Amen"?
April 14, 2017 12:07AM
I am almost inspired to try building a clean sweep type coil for a Tesoro.
It's in the back of my mind.......... a few other projects need to be finished first.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 14, 2017 12:29AM
Sven
I am almost inspired to try building a clean sweep type coil for a Tesoro.
It's in the back of my mind.......... a few other projects need to be finished first.

It's a good bet you could do it Sven.
But, you can just buy one.
With your talent and skill, why not break some new ground?
(no pun intended)

How about........... Let's see....

Ok, how about one of those probes like Garrett and D-tex made for the Deepseekers and Groundhogs?

Can't buy one of those for a Tesoro.

Great for poking around where other coils can't reach.
Down around the roots of trees, under bushes, crack and crevices.

Good medicine.