Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

REQUEST FOR ALL WHO WISH TO HELP

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
REQUEST FOR ALL WHO WISH TO HELP
February 27, 2011 01:12AM
After recent event, I have come to the conclusion that even the same detectors are not equal (New Production Models). Because of this, I am requesting that Nasa Tom or anyone else who cares to help,
post a standard test with settings and procedures to determine if our detectors are performing up to specifications. Because soil conditions vary so much, I feel this needs to be an air test using the same targets, settings and enviroments. Please be very specific with your conditions. maybe even list the last four digits of your units serial numbers. This may help identify a faulty lot or run of detectors.
Please be honest with your test results. It would be better to be on the low side and give resonable results that to upset a lot of people who could not meet those standards.

1. air test only
2. same settings
3. no metal objects other than targets within 4 feet of detector ( this includes watches, rings , etc...)
4. test performed away from any electrical devices
5. video test if possible
6. list model, manufacturer, and last four digits of serial number
7. If any mods have been made to the unit please make these known also

FISHER
GARRETT
MINELAB
TEKNETICS
BOUNTY HUNTER
WHITES

This may take some time to complete but I feel it will be helpful to us all and can be a standard of testing units to ensure we get what we pay for. The more results per detector type will give more validity to the results.

Thanks
Tom in SC
Re: REQUEST FOR ALL WHO WISH TO HELP
February 27, 2011 01:53AM
i HIGHLY encourage this; yet, I have one recommendation:

Test a T2 or F75.......and document the results (for yourself). THEN......do the EXACT same test a couple of days later. Then do it again! You will learn that results differ.....from day-to-day. Just because EMI may not be "audibly" detectable........does not mean that it is not there.....and at differing levels...each time you perform your testing.

The one good thing about CZ's......is........for the most part........ Zero EMI...all the way up to a moderate amount of EMI......hardly affects it's performance. But.......once again.......you can reach a certain level of EMI where the CZ still does NOT audibly indicate any EMI; yet, it'll be operating at a reduced performance level (unknowingly/unsuspectingly)......which is the worst kind of interference........because you would NEVER suspect that you are operating at a reduced performance level.

If you are running the F75 or T2 wide-open.......it hides nothing. You will instantly know if EMI is present.
February 27, 2011 01:59AM
great idea!!!! a standard for test targets, testing methods is needed.
February 27, 2011 02:09AM
Great point, maybe 3 complete test, same location different days. post each result. this will prove that there are outside sources that vary and also show consistency of testing.

Tom in SC
T-Manly or Tom D. or Others
February 27, 2011 02:22AM
I would recommend a seperate post first for people to sign up. Ya know, kinda publicly obligate & commit. Then if enough sign-ups, take the time to create the testing criteria, as I think each model may have slightly different testing parameters. Create the testing criteria - post it - and let's see where it goes.
I'll volunteer my time for a standard T2 test. I already kind of did the 5" coil here for the Disc mode.
(see post Teknetics T2 / A Gain Measurement Chart). Will do a All Metal also. And then both modes for the stock 11" DD coil.

BTW....Tom is absolutely correct on testing results varying on different days......I replicated my 5" coil air test 3 days after I posted it.....guess what....the test results varied........Considerably
Mind you, the testing both times was done in the same location indoors, so the fluctuations in results were due to house related EMI emanations.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 11:38AM by TerraDigger.
Good idea Tmanly but I believe there will be alot of people
February 27, 2011 02:42AM
become discouraged when the comparison's start...

I have owned/borrowed well over 100 detector's in my life and it is an eye opener to see the differences from one unit to the next on the same model Vs Model....

the bad thing about a lot of them is that's all they are going to ever do even by sending them in for repair....I mean mostly depth wise....there's no fix for them...some are just plain hotter than other's..

this is especially true on analog machine's..

the newer digital class seem to be in better unison from model vs model....

but it is a great idea for people wanting to see what there machine is truly capable of..

I know I have a white's Blue & Gray with the volume control and it's my 5th one....and I would not want the other 4 I have had now that I have this one..
Sad we have to go through so much trouble some times to get an accurate machine....Also sad that people will accept a machine not running right as normal for the sake of not knowing no better...

I have borrowed hunting partner's machine's before or played with them briefly and found problem's with them just from my limited experience and I did not have the heart to tell them there is a problem...Heck there having fun....Heck I cant even tell some one when they dig a target up there excited about that it is not civil war....they are happy and have limited knowledge of relic's and I for one am not going to destroy there fun...

Good idea for sure and if you are past the hobby stage it's a must to know the full potential...and also know how to use it to the best of your ability...Some guy's have great perfect running machine's then use them in the wrong manner ...

Keith
February 27, 2011 03:04AM
I think this whole idea is a good one, and I will participate, and I can't wait to see how machines compare.

I think Keith's statement "sad that people will accept a machine not running right as normal for the sake of not knowing no better..." is a big part of why this needs to be done -- to EDUCATE!

Steve
wjs
February 27, 2011 03:09AM
Where do you set the ground balance for an air test on machines with adjustable GB?
February 27, 2011 11:29AM
1 Swing speed , I see some test were the coin go passed the coil so fast its a blurr.Most machine will gain depth with speed.
2 Move target toward the coil. From my test i notice that if target is close to coil and drawn
away it will streach the gap of the detection depth.
3 With a metered machine are we using sound only or sound and a solid VID
4 Ground Balance
5 Were to test , For starter i think it must to be outside. maybe using 2 plastic trash barrels for a stand or large cardboard box. Picnic table a no go, many nails.

All this and more for a air test. No wonder why in ground result and so different.
February 27, 2011 01:22PM
Whilst still defining testing-parameters (a spectacular preparatory idea)...........given time...........and collective thinking; I recommend the following test-standards for specific reasons:

1. A clad dime
2. A new nickel (It would be ideal if everyone had a Type-1 U.S. $1.00 Gold coin (1849-1854)
3. A lead air-rifle BB, (.177 Cal). And it MUST be lead
February 28, 2011 10:42PM
From what I remember reading the E-trac and other Minelabs do not air test all that great. BUT, they do get down and get the silver, especially dimes.. Correct me if I am wrong ,but that is what I think I have read in the past......
March 01, 2011 01:57PM
sonny(IN) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I remember reading the E-trac and other
> Minelabs do not air test all that great. BUT,
> they do get down and get the silver, especially
> dimes.. Correct me if I am wrong ,but that is what
> I think I have read in the past......

SONNY You are correct the Etrac does not air test very well. but this is to set standards for performance of each machine. Even if the test do not give results that compare to each other, it will give everyone a base line to compare their detector to.
This is not a model to model standard to compare what is the best but to make sure a certain model is up to specifications.

Tom in SC