Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega 8000s still being blown out by FT

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega 8000s still being blown out by FT
April 20, 2017 07:25AM
Seems like First Texas has been closing these out for some time now.

I finally gave in to the "$340 or best offer" and just did an initial quick air test with no headphones and no checking of VDI #s.

A mercury dime at full sensitivity and discrimination at 16 with the 11" DD gives me a potential dig signal to 10 1/2" in 4 tone and 11 1/2" in 2 tone.

V4 software. Long, linear modulation as depth increases. Pleasant sounding audio to my ears, much more so than the F75/T2 platform. EMI in the house non-existent or minimal until sens. gets into the 70s.

I had a F5 for three years, made a lot of nice finds with it. Users say the Omega, which is on the same platform, shares one distinctive trait of the F5: EMI is eliminated or highly reduced when the coil is moving across the ground compared to when the coil is not in motion. In air tests, this unit is deeper and less EMI sensitive than my F5 was.

The detector, which came directly from the First Texas fleabay site, was delivered in a plain brown box. The same serial number on the outside of the box and on the detector, starting with 0317. The detector s/n sticker is slightly offset revealing another (presumably older) s/n sticker underneath it.

These are still available at a good price I think for a detector that a few years ago Tom was calling the standard for detecting in heavy iron. And since they are new it includes the 5 year warranty.

I made a copy of my fleabay invoice as proof of purchase for when I need warranty work since the they only keep records for a limited period of time. I'm hoping this Omega won't take as many El Paso vacations as my F5 did.eye rolling smiley
Re: Omega 8000s still being blown out by FT
April 20, 2017 08:13AM
I can't decide whether to get one of those or to get a couple coils for the F75. In the back of my mind I'm thinking it might actually stand good chance of outdoing the F75 for coins.
April 20, 2017 12:33PM
I got one with maybe 10 hours on it I will sell ya Daniel. Got deus,f19 and tejon,mainly relic hunt,so thus collects dust. Pm if interested
April 20, 2017 01:30PM
best single freq coin shooter made is the V4 Omega 8000 (when EMI allows it to operate)

Worth every bit of $300
April 20, 2017 01:56PM
I went ahead and bought one with the 11 inch DD coil. I had one a long time ago and tried to incorporate its use for relic hunting instead of coins. I only had the 10 inch concentric coil and an Ultimate 13 coil for it if I remember right. With the concentric coil I couldn't get any depth and with the 13 inch coil it was very erratic. I don't think I had one with the 8x11 DD coil so that should be an interesting comparison to the F75.
April 20, 2017 02:39PM
detectingMO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> best single freq coin shooter made is the V4 Omega
> 8000 (when EMI allows it to operate)
>
> Worth every bit of $300

Eerily accurate. If I was someone else looking at buying one, I'd try to find out if it would be worth every bit of $275 or maybe even $250...smileys with beer
April 20, 2017 03:05PM
I'll be interested to hear what you think, Daniel.

I had the Omega platform mate, the F5, at the same time I had a F75. The F75 was deeper but I found the F5 was so much more enjoyable to use. I didn't track it scientifically, but my quantity of keepers when I used the F5 actually seemed better. EMI could be an issue, but not that often with the coil in motion once FT replaced the first F5 I had. I could usually run it hot after that first one. The biggest issue I found was the chatter when I put the detector down for retrievals. I got used to fully removing my headphones each time.

Dave Johnson told me my first F5 was the worst they had ever bench tested for EMI. That first F5 taught me a valuable lesson about being a retail beta tester for new machines. grinning smiley

On a brighter note, Mr. Johnson and FT customer service were thumbs down and did right by me on multiple occasions.
April 20, 2017 03:07PM
marcomo Wrote:
> detectingMO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > best single freq coin shooter made is the V4 Ome
> ga
> > 8000 (when EMI allows it to operate)
> >
> > Worth every bit of $300
>
> Eerily accurate. If I was someone else looking at
> buying one, I'd try to find out if it would be wor
> th every bit of $275 or maybe even $250...smileys with beer

If new and making offer on Ebay...$300 is the magic number
April 20, 2017 03:14PM
deathray Wrote:
> I got one with maybe 10 hours on it I will sell ya
> Daniel. Got deus,f19 and tejon,mainly relic hunt,s
> o thus collects dust. Pm if interested

The other side of the coin: a good deal for new buyers is not so good for used sellers. With cheap full warranty closeout units having been available for some time, the price a used one fetches has dropped.
April 20, 2017 03:19PM
Yep, I just sold my 1 month old one for $260 shipped. (10" coil)

Heck even the 8500 is at blow out prices. I'll be lucky to get $325 shipped for mine when I sell it next week. (1 month old and 10" coil as well)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 03:20PM by detectingMO.
April 20, 2017 03:27PM
Thanks for that, MO.

I wasn't losing sleep or anything, but good to know I didn't spend extra money by not being greedy enough.

They're down to 3 left on fleabay but I sure wouldn't be surprised if more pop up after these are gone. FT apparently had (and may still have) quite a surplus of Omegas.
April 20, 2017 03:43PM
What is the difference between the 8000 and 8500?
April 20, 2017 03:44PM
Does anyone know the Omega 8000 version history? I have a V6. I know some only had different small/large or both headphone jacks but same innards. I thought some had some improvements with the EMI reduction compared to the very first ones. Actually I thought V4 were the first models so I'm wondering why those are still being sold over a higher/newer version.
April 20, 2017 04:18PM
My understanding on the Version differences is that V4 was the hotter one but more prone to EMI. The following version models were a stab at reducing EMI and from what I understand, it was successful. I think they also changed some of the tones along the way too. Some that had used all the versions said they prefer the V4 version of them. They must have neutered the depth on them to get them stable...kinda like how I am with the F75 DST models now. The older non DST F75 models were much more EMI prone but if you had a good one, you could run it on the cusp of stability and get some awesome depth out of them. The newer ones are much quieter and stable..can run them wide open with no chatter. But to me, they are the equiv to running the old hotter F75s on lower sensitivity to achieve the same thing. I don't really know. The Omega I just bought is one of the new/old stock V4 models. My understanding on why they still have V4s left is that when they started offering the closeout prices to get rid of their stock, everybody bought the newest versions first and thus all that is left are the old ones. I got mine for $290 shipped.
April 20, 2017 04:43PM
Dang You Stole that Omega Daniel! That's a Heck of a deal. I had one when first came out before they had 11" DD Coil and was not impressed. But they say the 11" DD
Makes it a Different Detector with More Punch.
To Be Honest was kinda pissed as bought one of the first run. Then the New 11" DD coil was offered Free with a Spring package a Couple weeks later and us guys who got first run had to pay extra. So sold it before I tried 11" DD Coil.
I remember Dave Johnson said the Omega was the closest Detector to a CZ that He help developed for First Texas at the time. That's one reason I got one. I remember it had good Modulated Audio.
April 20, 2017 04:47PM
i have thought two or three times about selling my xlt to buy one,but its too late now by the time i sell it they would be sold out of them.
April 20, 2017 04:59PM
V6 (embedded serial) and V5 are deeper (less modulation) and quieter (about 15% emi reduction). V4 has smoother tone and target response with slightly better target ID. Top Tier Nickel ID and coin ID at depth. V4 has potential to be deeper if it can be ran at 99 sens so the threshold is turned up lessening modulation. V4 has the disc 16/17 for nails and muting iron bug for better unmasking. There are many places you can't even turn on a V4 and operate at any sensitivity or coil size though. I most see this from buried power.

8500 has EMI filtering modes deep 2 and 3. has a non-modulated d5 tones (4 tone) that IS deeper than 8000. Target ID is good on high conductors. Nickel ID is horrible just like the new Greek bloodlines. F11/F22/F44/LRP/QDP/Digitek/LSP. Get a Eurotek Pro if you want an Omega Lite great ID Machine.
8500 tones are thin and tinny. Really can't hunt with them for deep targets can be mistaken for chatter (just like deepies on F19/G2 but worse). Has a FA mode but only usable with d5 non-modulated tones due to the thin and tiny tones. this mode makes them even shorter and weaker. It does have category volume control. so in d5 tones you can run a lower gain (less falsing since falses still have max tones just like targets), drop the volume of trash categories so they are muted. Lower iron volume low so it's like iron audio and go pluck the coins. 1 tone and 2 tone VCO is clipped and a weak tone. similar to the 3 and 4 tone modulated options. All metal on the 8500 is an absolute monster! has an independent threshold and gain now like G2/F19 setup. Make sure you use default Deep 1 in all metal mode. It's silky smooth and very deep. 8500 also has a backlight and disc/all metal quick switch button hold. it's a good all around unit much better relic machine now. Lesser of a coin machine. It's only $379 shipped from tek direct!
April 20, 2017 05:47PM
I just picked up a version 5, the 3rd Omega I've had, and they still continue to be coin killers. Had a 3 silver hunt with mine this morning out of a hard hit old park. Got a 41 Merc., a 50d Washington quarter and a 1922 Peace dollar. The Peace dollar was in the same hole as a clad dime and clad quarter. All, less then 4" deep. I have posted about it on the Finds Tek. forum if anyone is interested. HH jim tn
April 20, 2017 06:07PM
DetectingMO.
Can you explaine a little more about the "V4 has the disc 16/17 for nails and muting iron bug for better unmasking" you mentioned please.
Thanks,
Bryan
April 20, 2017 06:13PM
disc 16/17 on 8000 V4 knocks out nails but also mutes iron. It's the magic disc spot for unmasking in nails. Nails hit higher on version 5/6 and when disc'd out higher end iron still sounds off. Non-issue for coin hunters, just an observation.
April 20, 2017 09:56PM
I've wrote a ton of stuff on the V4 on here..Just be hard to find at this point.

Basically it's the only Version I will use..

Yet you cant use it everywhere...It's hot on high conductors at depth for sure.Loves silver at 8 inches...and can hunt tin quite effectively with it and stock 10 concentric elliptical coil..

It also loves big deep brass with a large coil..I mean DEEEEEEEEP!!13 ultimate will get way down in the earth..

It's a unique unit in that it's on low freq but its Hyper gain..Still very speedy too..It gies against the norm and does it very well..Imagine your deus on 8Khz with fast reactivity...You know it doesn't feel right like that...BUT on the Omega on 7.8khz and fast response it feels right.

Very accurate ID when you can keep the chatter out of the way.

I found out fast upon initial release that some iron wont report ...That's good and bad..

The biggest problem you will have will be the EMI..deep woods no biggie ...urban can be doable to horrific..

A T2-C in my soil is slightly deeper on a 9 inch dime...and a good bit deeper on a nickle range target...when both units are on Two tone 99 sens and same coils.

For 300 good unit..

Can really help on bottle caps and such and tin to have ability to use Concentric coils in places you can't exploratory dig..

What's neat if you have a G2 you have a great 1-2 punch as the coils will interchange except for Concentrics..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 20, 2017 10:53PM
You done good, Daniel! Better than me.

Bryan, Tom had a whole thread on the 16 unmasking sweet spot for the Omega way back when if you've got some time to search for it.

Only one left on the Dutch listing, for now anyway. At an entry level price, glad I grabbed one.
April 20, 2017 11:35PM
marcomo Wrote:
> You done good, Daniel! Better than me.
>
> Bryan, Tom had a whole thread on the 16 unmasking
> sweet spot for the Omega way back when if you've g
> ot some time to search for it.
>
> Only one left on the Dutch listing, for now anyway
> . At an entry level price, glad I grabbed one.

Ok thanks. I'll see if I can find that thread later tonight.. I have a version 5 that I haven't had a chance to test yet and I just picked up one of these
Version 4s off FeeBay so I can compare the two.. Im a sucker for a good deal and couldn't help myself.
I think I need to go to detector rehab.. Just when I think I'm thinning the arsenal a good deal pops up and I'm all over it.

Bryan
April 20, 2017 11:54PM
I had high hopes for the 8500, but too bad the 8500 turned out to be such a turd thumbs up Dave Johnson wasn't really involved with the 8500, so I guess that could explain that.

I liked my Omega 8000, V4. I never felt it was a depth demon like my F75 and CZ70, but it did good on coins, was great in iron (was a great demo machine to sniff out the silver in the thick of iron), it's light as can be, and it's FUN to use. I used it at competition hunts and never had any issues with EMI from the other hunters (different story on my F75!).

I'm sure lowby will be by any second to tell us how much FT sucks.... smoking smiley
April 21, 2017 01:53AM
Lmao!!!
April 21, 2017 02:54AM
QUIT NOW!!!!!!!!! Just when I was narrowin down my :"herd"!cool smiley
April 21, 2017 04:09AM
As I understand it, Jorge Saad was the primary engineer for the 8000.
April 21, 2017 05:08AM
Yeah Del, this Omega with the NEL Snake coil is a deadly weapon in the iron-infested mining camps, schoolyards--found stuff missed by all others--and tot-lots--Sandman, you gotta get one! $290.00!!! And the same Snake does great on the F19, if you don't already have one. I've found small 2 & 3 grain nuggets with that combo.
April 21, 2017 03:51PM
How is depth on snake coil vs. The fisher 5 inch? And btw,2-3 grain is big compared to subgrain i have found with gb pro/f19,just sayin.
April 21, 2017 05:24PM
I've never compared the depth of the 2 coils, but I like the Snake because it seems to separate better than the 5", which has also found me 2-3 grain pieces. It's hard to find any gold out here in NV at the local diggins, but it does happen occasionally. According to the guys who were here first 20 years ago, there were1/2 oz nuggets around. No more, even with the Minelabs. But it makes for a good short outing with the pooch, and the occasional yellow reward. There's a gulch where a GPX got 2 one gram nuggets one afternoon, deep; nothing for me with the GB2, so I'm gonna try that Ultimate I got from you out there with the F19.