Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A weather proof CZ-3D (I wish...)

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A weather proof CZ-3D (I wish...)
February 03, 2010 12:07AM
I really appreciate Leos extensive post on the history of the CZ's, but I cant help but think how cool it would have been to have a weather-proof 3D like my 70pro. I would have paid alot extra for that. That feature has come in handy so many times.
Re: A weather proof CZ-3D (I wish...)
February 03, 2010 02:06AM
Hunted in pouring rain with my CZ70 a few weeks ago and it ran like a top smiling smiley
February 03, 2010 02:50AM
Aaron.......this was heavily looked at; and (the bell-curve dictated),,,, it was determined that the extra cost to 'weather-proof' the CZ-3D would preclude a large volume of folks from acquisition. I would MUCH prefer a weatherproof CZ......but I would rather have many more folks in a CZ-3D.......vs other brands/units. It is so easy to slip a clear plastic (usually a zip-loc) bag over the control box of the CZ-3D (and CZ-5) to afford a good amount of rain protection.
February 03, 2010 03:07AM
I know what your saying Cal, last fall it was perfectly nice out while me and my CZ70 were hunting then out of no where a big dark cloud rolls in and with it a steady pouring rain, but that machine never missed a beat. Such a great detector, those old CZ's are just timeless, I strongly beleive all of them are destined to be collectors items if not already. Tom, I guess I can understand that since the CZ70 was around $1000. new and the 3D is around $800. To weather proof the 3D would probably cost the same as the 70 and $200 is unfortunately a big deal breaker especially in this economy.
Thanks, Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 03:11AM by Aaron.
February 03, 2010 11:39PM
I seem to recall; weatherproofing would have put us 'greater than 70%' on the wrong side of the sales bell-curve. This would have frustrated a lot of folks.
February 04, 2010 04:35AM
Tom, I recently purchased a chest harness and holster for 3D from Fisher. Unfortunately the holster turned out to be for a 1236 and wouldn't fit and they don't make one for CZ3D anymore! I have a commercial seamstress that lives a block from me that could make one for me, unless you might have one in your spare parts bin! It should make waterproofing a lot easier since the holster itself could be made rain proof, well except for the occasional hurricane that comes by!

Wally
February 04, 2010 11:57AM
Hi Wally! Glad to hear from you. Got lots to catch up with you....but got lots on my plate!
Hmmmmm.... A friend of mine (Porter) went through the exact same evolution..... and had a seamstress custom-make one for his unit. I think it's somewhat weather-proof. I have no spares in my inventory. My rainproofing comes in the form of a zip-loc bag that 'just' fits over the control box.....then a large rubber band to keep it a bit 'extra' secure. Seems to work well in hurricanes also! Field-tested and validated.
February 04, 2010 01:51PM
Cost prohibitive at best for the company and consumer ought to cover it along with Tom's idea of a a simple fix with a plastic bag...
February 04, 2010 03:13PM
BUY GSI LEXAN UTILITY BOX, TWO CABLE CLAMS AND DONE DEAL,

can be wave and rain proof,,,,chest or hip mounted

not sure how big a cz-3d is but minelab GT fit in large......explorer fits in med.

pics: F Y I only

here is bigger / heavier box - works good, but

cables clams come in 3 sizes - LARGE HERE

HERE IS CHEST MOUNTED EXP II - in a MED. BOX

February 05, 2010 01:56AM
And to what extremes folks will go! ((( Man after my heart )))!
My tried & true F70 rain cover :-)
February 05, 2010 07:57AM
Hunted for days on end with my F70 in the rain with this simple, and cheap (dare I say free) rain setup:

[www.glasscollector.net]

BTW Gravedigger, how did you post your images? I tried all variations of html I could figure out and to no avail...do you have admin privileges or something smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 08:07AM by Cal_cobra.
February 05, 2010 12:35PM
cal

post all my pics on photobucket first

right click on pic and go to properties and see address

f y i only
February 05, 2010 03:54PM
Gravediggermax,
I truly admire your ingenuity and tenacity.
MacGyver’d the GT and the Explorer that’s awesome.
Got anymore?
Keep us updated on your progress with any of these, modifications or adjustments etc and any new projects like these.
Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Grant
February 05, 2010 10:15PM
Brian.........man after my heart. I have one of each.
February 06, 2010 06:12AM
Tom their one of the America's "best ever" in my humble opinion, nothing like 'em.
February 06, 2010 12:36PM
Many pinnacle engineering accolades.
that makes hunting in the bad weather not a worry...I figured I'd sell it to someone who could use it and crazy enough to hunt in that kind of weather. I think it's more rare than a new FZ-12 coil right now....so if you want a weather proof CZ-3D...here you go smiling smiley It can be yours for $35...MUCH cheaper then the control box upgrade!