Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can I fix my scratched meter window?

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can I fix my scratched meter window?
February 11, 2010 02:19PM
Hi Tom,
Im a sticker for keeping my machines in perfect condition, always cleaning them after each hunt, ect. My meter window on my 1021 3D I just purchased is scratched and I would like to fix it with this really good plastic scratch remover. However my hunting buddy says to leave it alone because the old analog meters are prone to static charge just from touching the window and it could throw it out of calibration. Is this true? And also can I clean the digital window on my 70 Pro also?
Thank you!
Aaron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 03:10PM by Aaron.
Re: Can I fix my scratched meter window?
February 11, 2010 03:39PM
Hi Aaron,

I have used Novus plastic polish with very good results. Novus comes in 3 grades 1, 2, & 3. I recommend that you start off with grade 2 (red) as grade 3 would be too coarse. Hand polish the screen using a soft cloth and medium hand pressure. Once the fine scratches have been polished out you can do a final polish with grade 1. I have also used Novus on the detector housing to remove the small scratches that occur from every day use. With a little TLC you can take a worn looking detector and make it look almost new. The older 3D's are hard to come by so just like you I make every effort to keep the detector clean.
I no longer wipe the clear plastic screen because that is where the scratching occurs. I instead clean around the screen and now use a can of compressed air to remove any dirt or grime from the screen. In the event that there is something on the screen that cannot be blown off I "carefully" wipe the screen with gentle hand pressure.

If there are deep scratches on the housing (not the clear screen) you can purchase some Micro Mesh foam backed pads that come in grades all the way up to 12000 grit. 6000 grit and up seems to do a very good job removing most of the deeper scratches that sometimes occure from rough handeling. Once you have gently removed the deeper scratches you can finish the job off with the Novus polish.

Just Google "Novus Plastic Polish" and you will find many links to the product. The same is true with "Micro Mesh" foam backed pads.

I would never recommend something that would harm your detector. I have used the products mentioned on my own 1021 CZ3D with excellent results.

Leo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 03:43PM by Leo234.
February 11, 2010 04:43PM
Hi leo Novus was the exact same product I was talking about.Been using it for years sounds like you an I are in like mind regardind maintaining our machines.
Thanks, Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 10:06PM by Aaron.
February 11, 2010 09:55PM
Indeed Novus works well for minor scratches and would recommend...Before you do that would say to all never wipe your screen in the field as minute dirt particles
will indeed scratch the screen especially on a dry screen...After your hunt blow the dirt off the screen which can be done in various ways and then use a moistened eyeglass cleaning rag...Another thought is using one of those whites clear coverings if you can find one the approximate size or one you can trim to fit...if they are scratched just peel off and put on another..Whites really has a good idea in this aspect and wonder why other major manufacturers don't come up with something similiar..If not faniliar with them visit a whites dealer as they have several sizes they use on their units..
February 12, 2010 08:12AM
With some detectors, a screen protector like you use on a handheld or PDA is the right size to protect the screen.

Works great With the F75, it covers the whole screen with a slight overlap.