Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I am about to hang up detecting.

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: I am about to hang up detecting.
May 30, 2017 11:29PM
jak, welcome out of the darkness and into the light. smileys with beer

If you are paying attention to your surroundings when detecting, and you'd be a fool not to, you will upon occasion see folks looking or even staring at you. A quick smile and wave will go a long way towards easing any concerns they have about who you are and what the heck you are doing. By waving at them you are acknowledging their presence and the subliminal message you are sending is that you are friendly and not doing anything nefarious.

I've gotten many permissions and leads from curious people who stop to chat. That's because I view them as a potential resource rather than an annoyance.

In metal detecting, just like other aspects of life, you tend to get back the attitude you put out.

Anyone who doesn't want to be approached by curious and/or talkative people, I would suggest hunting with a buddy. I've almost never been approached when detecting with someone else.

As to the original post, Morgan I'm sorry to hear you're about to hang up detecting. You'll be missed and good luck to you in all future hobbies and endeavors. What detectors and accessories will you be selling?
May 31, 2017 12:03AM
I am going to be selling my T2 Classic with 11"DD coil NEL Sharpshooter Coil and 5" DD coil. I will also be selling my Fisher 1270 with stock 8" coil its a deep one it hits my 10" dime easily and I also have several diggers that I'm going to sell.
May 31, 2017 12:38AM
Good topic, it's been brought up time and time again over the years, what I do is go to the police station when I go to a new town, been in my area for a long time, everybody knows me, but in a new place, right to the police staion, ask if there is any law against detecting on public land and could I see it, they can't give me the law, then I detect, they are the ones that are going to arrest you, not joe blow who hates him self because you are having fun, I'm a big guy and I'll go toe to toe with anyone but a cop, I respect them, if they tell me to leave, I just find another spot, it's usually some jerk that sees you that calls you in, I hunt in the early morning too, or late at night, I hate people haha
May 31, 2017 12:53AM
Hey Tom in CA.

Sorry about that.

I know that Keith Wills appeared before Congress and stood up for us when the Army corps of engineers
banned metal detecting on government land.

Keith is a great talker, the members of Congress were really interested in metal detecting, asked all kinds
of questions. "What kind of stuff do you find?", "Which machine is really good?".
All that army corps of engineers baloney went right out the window.

Congress said, "If you have any hassles let us know"

Like another said,......and I think "you" said.
When the subject turns to something someone know nothing about, the answer is likely to be no."

You see those Congressmen didn't know anything about metal detecting......
So Keith starts telling them about it, answering their questions, now they start thinking,... sounds pretty cool.

I wonder how many of those guys bought a metal detector and checked around their yard, or Martha's Vineyard.
LOL

I would love to metal detect the White House grounds.
Brother, I'll bet there is some history there.
May 31, 2017 03:56AM
Just a question, isn't the MD industry in on this matter? Surely it is in the interest of Garrett, First Texas etc. to sell detectors. So aren't they lobby'ing for detectorists?
May 31, 2017 04:39AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know what park your talking about (wino park), d
> o you think it would be worth testing the Impact t
> here? It's a trashy as they come with screw caps
> and tabs drinking smiley
>
> deathray Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > People can't mind their own business. I had a pa
> rk
> > worker try to run me out of a Stockton ghetto pa
> rk
> > . Basically told her to quit harassing me and do
> h
> > er frigging job. Kept on detecting. Also hittin
> g
> > public strip by road in gold rush town, local tr
> ie
> > d to run me off, that didn't work either. Gotta
> st
> > and your ground.

Never had a problem at Wino. This one is in worse area, South of crosstown. Don't know the name, but it's off Stanislaus. Lots of barbers there.
June 01, 2017 04:42AM
FschJg Wrote:
> Just a question, isn't the MD industry in on this
> matter?

What "matter" ? The matter of not getting red-carpets rolled out for us ? (ie.: an an occasional "scram" ). If so, yes, the "industry" (and clubs etc...) banded together for solidarity @ legal issues in the early to mid 1980s. It was called the "FMDAC" . But there is simply nothing they (or anyone) can do. Unlike the NRA (where a gun buff exists on every corner of the USA to send in $$ contributions) , md'ing doesn't have that # of adherents. So you don't have the $$ to hire lobbyists, make a stink, etc...

And actually, the only thing that "making a stink" (aka "seeking clarifications" and "fighting" lone scrams) does , if often-time SIMPLY BRING ABOUT the very thing you were "fighting against". The FMDAC was a noble idea. But I saw first-hand the following: When they'd send out their monthly newsletters (filled with dire scary stories to garner solidarity), the following psychology began to take place:

Md'rs would read these stories of bootings, scrams (or worse) from far away places. The message was inescapable: "Coming to a place near you" ! So the average Joe-Blow reading such things would get the willies. And wonder "gee, is it legal where I'm at?" (after all, you wouldn't want something scary like in the story to happen to you, RIGHT?). So they'd waltz in to city halls wherever they were at (even if it was never an issue before) and start asking. And then guess what ? It merely becomes all-the-more self-fulfilling scenario sad smiley

So it's almost as if we're in a hobby where the LESS attention is better for us. NOT the MORE attention sad smiley
June 01, 2017 06:22AM
Situation here in Poland is thousands times worst. Metal Detecting against law is almost illegal. One day you are winner another you are going to jail.
This is kind of race. One time you meet police is ok and you talk about bottle caps again they search your house next and you are criminal.

I was try to thousand times to leave this hobby but I can't.
June 01, 2017 12:50PM
Its just easier for local government to say no than to field one persons complaint in the news paper with a photo now days. They just dont know how to justify it without other crazies adding fuel to the fire. We arent the only ones. They are restricting BLM land use now too..... to many environmental complaints. They dont detect so they say no and the problem goes away. Doesnt seem like the big due collecting detecting organizations are willing to help either.
June 01, 2017 09:24PM
I have decided that detecting is a important part of my life and health and well being. I am going to continue to detect private property only. I've never been a door knocker but I think I can get over this fear. All they can say is no. I think I'm going to get rid of my current detectors and go after a strictly coin hunting machine like a Explorer 2 or Explorer SE so if any of you have one of these machines and want to work out a trade for my T2 Classic with 3 coils and a Fisher 1270 I might be willing to work out a trade with you just tell me what you have. Thanks and God Bless. Morgan
June 01, 2017 11:28PM
Good for You as We have to adapt.
One reason I picked up a Golden uMax as breaks down easy to hike in the woods with a Back pack away from prying eyes. Also still have many newer clad/jewelry type spots close by which is perfect for the Golden with its excellent notch feature. And still have Old Chicago parks for My Deep Seeker Etrac and CZ-3D, even though a far drive. As My Dad use to say,
I Ain't Dead Yet!
June 02, 2017 05:12AM
Shelton Wrote:
> Situation here in Poland is thousands times worst.
> Metal Detecting against law is almost illegal. One
> day you are winner another you are going to jail.
> This is kind of race. One time you meet police is
> ok and you talk about bottle caps again they searc
> h your house next and you are criminal.
>
> I was try to thousand times to leave this hobby bu
> t I can't.

Shelton, if it's "almost illegal", why are there so many md'rs (as evidenced by forum show & tell posts) coming from Poland and vicinity ? And do you truly know of someone in Poland "going to jail" for md'ing ? Can you cite such an incident ? And for purpose of this question, don't count someone sneaking obvious off-limits monuments, or someone who defies warnings, etc.... Any links of "jail" there that you can cite ?