Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The story of TAPS...

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The story of TAPS...
June 08, 2017 07:01PM
Here is something Every American should know.
We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, 'Taps...' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.
But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.
Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Elli was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.
During the night, Captain Elli heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment..
When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.
The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.
The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.
The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.
The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.
The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.
This wish was granted.
The haunting melody, we now know as 'Taps' used at military funerals was born.
The words are:
Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills.
From the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.
Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star.
Gems the sky.
Gleaming bright.
From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.
Thanks and praise.
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars.
Neath the sky
As we go.
This we know.
God is nigh

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: The story of TAPS...
June 08, 2017 08:21PM
Thank you for that, Keith. I can't imagine what it must have been like for that Captain.

Dean
June 08, 2017 08:29PM
So much blood was shed. My great great grandfather, a confederate soldier died in that war. Every time I recover a Civil war relic, I get a haunting feeling. Txquest
June 08, 2017 08:55PM
I used to play it, but never knew where it originated, thanks for sharing that Keith thumbs down
June 08, 2017 09:04PM
Never knew that thanks for sharing keith
June 08, 2017 09:20PM
Thanks, Keith. Never thought about how Taps came to be. HH jim tn
June 08, 2017 10:23PM
I have played taps many times over the last 60 or so years and always have considered it an honor to do so.

A friend sent me this link this past Memorial Day. Different words but still a wonderful rendition.

Jerry

[biggeekdad.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 10:23PM by Jerry-wi.
June 08, 2017 10:26PM
Did anyone look up the story to see if is true?
June 09, 2017 01:17AM
Geotech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone look up the story to see if is true?

Why don't you???????????????
June 09, 2017 01:45AM
June 09, 2017 02:01AM
COULD be one of those George Washington Cherry Tree stories..

Not sure..

Someone sent it to me in an email and thought I would share ..

Seems like I did read one time it was Butterfield or Burnside or someone who had something to do with it as a bugle call..

I wasn't around then so I don't Know..But I'm sure that scenario could of well played out even without the song part..

Seems the Victors write the histories in times of war...eye rolling smiley

Anyhow Its a good read and a Heart tugger non the less....

Thought it was befitting especially since the county is so turbulent here as of late....

Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it...But whats the REAL history ...sad smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 09, 2017 03:31AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Geotech Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > Did anyone look up the story to see if is true?
>
> Why don't you???????????????

Eh, I did.
June 09, 2017 06:16AM
Thanks for posting that Keith and you're right, those who win wars write history. I've heard that story and a few others on the history of taps but I've never spent too much time worrying about which one was true.

All I know for a fact is that as a young man I sat at attention on horseback in Arlington cemetery listening to Taps too many times as soldiers from every war since and including WWII were laid to rest. I've been a civilian for 25 years and I still get a lump in my throat every time I hear it being played be it in a movie, on the news or at the funeral of a friend.

For me it will always be a reminder of the courage and sacrifices of those who served as well as the true cost of war.
June 09, 2017 12:11PM
Geotech Wrote:
> doc holiday Wrote:
> -----
> > Geotech Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > > Did anyone look up the story to see if is true
> ?
> >
> > Why don't you???????????????
>
> Eh, I did.

AND??
June 09, 2017 01:31PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> AND??

Doc, the truth is easy to find for anyone who cares to know what the truth is. If you don't care, don't look.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Someone sent it to me in an email and thought I would share ..

Keith, these pass-it-on emails should be viewed as guilty until proven innocent. If you assume they are fake, you'll be right most of the time.
June 09, 2017 04:10PM
Post deleted per explanation below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 10:16PM by Neugene.
June 09, 2017 04:24PM
Geotech Wrote:
> doc holiday Wrote:
> -----
> > AND??
>
> Doc, the truth is easy to find for anyone who care
> s to know what the truth is. If you don't care, do
> n't look.
>
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> -----
> > Someone sent it to me in an email and thought I
> would share ..
>
> Keith, these pass-it-on emails should be viewed as
> guilty until proven innocent. If you assume
> they are fake, you'll be right most of the time.

Geotech your reply was demeaning in manner to a moving story posted by one of the most respected posters on the forum--so What if there are different versions of the origin--I have read several and they ALL have good endings and any one could be acceptable to a person attempting to bring to light a beautiful and patriotic piece.
June 09, 2017 04:32PM
Thanks Keith for sharing a story.

Funny thing about stories. Only we humans have them. It is likely that the entire thing we call "human intelligence" is based on the story.

If Keith hadn't posted the story he did, I would have never seen the link to the west point page - [www.west-point.org] .The careful exploration of the Taps origin there is a text book example of how historians find and evaluate, compare and think about various stories about the same thing. When all the stories are found, evaluated, compared and argued over by thoughtful people, we call the result history.

All of us have a "thing" for history - otherwise we'd be fools to spend so much time searching for and uncovering bits of it.

All stories have value. In the Arabian desert - a bedouin's campfire story always ends with "...and that is true - God willing"

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 04:39PM by lytle78.
June 09, 2017 04:52PM
Neugene I don't have to start my own thread as to whether what Keith posted was true or an embellishment. I am pretty well read and know of several views on the origin of Taps.I felt that if Keith posted it it warranted a "thanks" because Keith is such an asset to this forum.
Geotech made it his business to disparage an attempt to give the forum a little human story and you made it Your business to try and "be above second graders arguing over the truthfulness of the origin of a musical piece". I wasn't arguing I was telling Another know it all that Keith's post was in good faith with a beautiful story. So S
June 09, 2017 10:14PM
After re-reading this thread including my own long winded previous post I realized that in the end, no matter what my intentions were, my decision to include the content of that post in this thread made me at best a hypocrite.

With that in mind I have deleted the content of my previous post and I apologize to all that read both it and any comments it spawned. I especially apologize to you Keith, it was not my intent to hijack your thread nor to draw attention away from its subject.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 10:17PM by Neugene.
June 10, 2017 02:03AM
All is well.