Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT Pro vs AT Pro International

Posted by Idreamin3D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT Pro vs AT Pro International
March 05, 2011 01:25PM
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what does everyone think about the difference between the 2 models. If you click on this link it will shown you a picture of the display side by side, and the tone breaks.

[forum.treasurenet.com]

In the U.S. version: 0-39 (iron grunt) 40-75 (mid tone) 76-99 (high tone)
International version: 0-39 (iron grunt) 40-50 (mid tone) 51-99 (high tone)

At first I see it as a huge disadvantage of having such a narrow mid tone range, I know that it's because in Europe many coins would register as a mid tone on the US version, so Garrett decided to expand the high tone range. I live in the US, but currently doing a graduate degree in the UK and will be here for a few years. I can pick up the U.S. version for $370 cheaper when I travel hom (the AT Pro costs equivalent of $966 here in UK at todays exchange rate) and that is what I was planing to do.

But I was thinking that one benefit to having the expanded high tone range is that there would less jumping between high/low tone, as most targets would clearly fall in the high tone category. What does everyone think?
If you dig it all it really makes no difference but
March 05, 2011 06:53PM
I can see the advantage of the narrow mid tone on ancient site's if you are after the hammered coin's...you can alter the mid tone with the iron audio... so just knock out the nail's and it is my understanding the hammered coin's will read in the foil range so say about 30-50 will be mid tone and that would tip you off to the coin's quickly....

Not saying you would not wont to dig the high tone's too but I for one think the narrow window is for the ancient coin's but I may be wrong in my thinking??....you can notch out the troublesome target's in the high tone area if that's your requirement...

If it was me and I was in Europe I would just get the the International. even though I would just dig it all on an ancient site anyway it would still be a useful tool to have if need be..You can get one here in the states I believe just ask your dealer to order you one...

Keith
Re: AT Pro vs AT Pro International
March 06, 2011 10:58PM
Thanks Keith, It would be nice if I could get the international version here at home, but still not convinced it would be much help on an ancient site where I would dig the mid tones as well. I think the only benefit would be that with the international version I would be essentially running it in 2 tone like the T2, which I prefer to use in BP or 2+ rather then 3/4 tones, which don't seem as responsive.

I think having 3 tones on US version would help pull the non-ancient silver coins out of the pull tabs and foil at parks and other trashy sites. So not sure, will have to think more about where UK coins fall in the US version compared to trash. on the T2 the silver and old copper coins from the last 200 years fall in the 70's and low 80's, not sure where the AT Pro has them register. Will ask the UK users what they think about having such a narrow mid tone range on some of the UK forums and where the more recent coins fall into, hopefully will help be decide.

Seems like a great machine the AT Pro. I wonder if Garrett comes out with a marginally better top of the line detector based on the new technology in the next year, and whether it will be worth paying extra. I think the AT Pro didn't really need the standard mode, although it might prove useful for beginners. It would be nice to see the new version to have the ability of assigning tones to different ranges not sure what else they could add thought.
Hard to say Idreamin 3D what Garrett will come up with
March 06, 2011 11:40PM
I am sure there will be a top of the line type unit....maybe utilizing the new coil and probably some sort of programming ??? the target sizing feature worked a decade ago but they need some real time data like the V3 offer's to compete for sales....Maybe they are leaning toward a multi freq??

If a company has team of digital code writer's and the go ahead they can build some exciting thing's that could not be done 10 year's ago...

Metal detector's seem to always be the last to get the modern technology...guess it takes time to trickle down from the top of the food chain so it can become affordable...

I would think you would see maybe 2 more upper end machine's...
and probably see a revamp on the underwater P.I's hopefully they will work on the infinium I like the infinium for a pulse detector...it has a pretty good system of iron check if you are after low conductor's...but it's cumbersome to use...maybe they can get it into a new smaller housing like the At uses and give us an iron check button...or maybe they will do one better...

the future is in P.I. machine's I fully believe that ...just gotta get some sort of I.D. working...

but to answer your question on a top end Garrett I would bet it will be more bell's and whistles than anything same as other manufacturer's ...Back light's//auto tracking////volume control's////Notching//// etc etc...

good luck with which ever one you choose

Keith