Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Trip to Fla. Need help

Posted by Thunderdome 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Trip to Fla. Need help
June 11, 2017 01:32AM
Going down to St. Augustine Florida next week, going down for 10 days with stops in St Augustine, Daytona and Panama City Beach. I am torn between which detector or detectors to take. I was wondering about the GPX 5000, Minelab Sovereign GT, AT Pro, Nokta Relic, Impact and the Makro Racer 2. I have got way to many choices. What do you think of the GPX 5000? What would you take? For the sov gt I have the 10 in Tornado, and the 12 x 15 SEF, for the GPX, I have the 6x9 DD football coil and the 11 DD Commander. What do you recommend?
Re: Trip to Fla. Need help
June 11, 2017 01:46AM
If it were me, I would take the Sovereign and make sure you have a control box cover for it.

I took a Whites TDI to the beach back in February and it was a handful. I'm figuring the GPX would be the same way. Not sure how the sand is on the east side of Florida but on the gulf side, especially Panama, Destin, Pensacola, and all the way to Orange Beach...the sand is all white, very course, and not much hard pan like shells, etc. Translation -- Everything gets buried deep, even last weeks discarded pull tops. You will be spending vast amounts of time digging 2 feet for bottle caps and pull tabs, etc. That's how it was with the TDI there. Every morning (or evening) the beach workers will drive giant tractors with basically a scraper blade on the back of them, to smooth out all the foot prints, sand castles, etc, which leads even more to the freshly lost things getting buried deep really quick. I'm sure if you had a lot of time on your hands, a pulse machine would eventually get you some deeper jewelry in those areas but since you are pressed for time, I don't think you'll want to be digging to China for the sheer amount of junk along the towel and chair lines.
June 11, 2017 03:37AM
Sounds like you are hitting all wet salt beach sites. In this case...... the Sov GT is your best choice.
June 11, 2017 10:55AM
Thanks Daniel and Tom, the Sov GT will go. I forgot to mention Tom, I also have a CZ 3D that you tuned for me that was going regardless, also have your beach dvd that I have been reviewing.
June 18, 2017 07:18PM
Sov GT will be the best choice or buy CTX3030.