Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is this the future of metal detecting?

Posted by DirtyJohn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is this the future of metal detecting?
June 11, 2010 03:05AM
I saw this video on youtube of the "Golden King Metal Detector ". I don't know if this is science fact or science fiction but if it's for real it's very cool. Maybe Tom has heard of this.
Here's a link [www.youtube.com]
Re: Is this the future of metal detecting?
June 11, 2010 03:24AM
It's for sale at Kellyco. Expensive!

[www.kellycodetectors.com]
June 11, 2010 04:30AM
Well I would wait and see what Fisher has coming out next. Seems like it would be great for big areas with no trash but my god that is lot to go through when you still have to take a look and see what you have!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 02:51PM by Lawrenzo.
June 11, 2010 04:58AM
I can see by the KellyCo site that they sell a smaller 12x8 coil for coin hunting. I have to admit that I've probably been impressed by the graphics more than anything. I think any good detector with a larger cache coil could have picked up that pile of coins at that depth. It seems the only real advantage this gives you is a depth reading beyond what most detector will give plus an indecipherable 3D image. I would like to see a test on a single coin and see the image and size it produces at a depth beyond a foot. It's still impressive to combine ground penetrating radar with a metal detector though.
HH
John
June 11, 2010 07:08AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. A giant pile of coins, all lumped together, would probably be possible at that depth with certain regular detectors in decent ground. The real test would be if these detectors can pick up single coins in the 18-24" range. If so, these detectors would be the way to go, especially as more time passes and coins sink further and further into the ground.
June 12, 2010 11:38AM
ALMOST practical. Yes, its level of efficiency for smaller objects is in question. Wonder what a ring.......vs.......a ring tab would look/ID. Also wonder if a pendent.........vs........a square soda tab would be differentiable.

Indeed; a paradigm shift is needed in this so called 'hobby'.
June 12, 2010 09:08PM
I'd have to hire someone to carry it around for me but... if I could afford to buy it I guess I could also could also afford to pay someone to carry it. It looks like it would be the end of my cervical spine... i'd finally have to get that surgery that i've been putting off.

\= - /)

Julien
June 14, 2010 03:55AM
"Indeed; a paradigm shift is needed in this so called 'hobby'. -Tom

I agree, target imaging would be cool, but I think just being able to differentiate between aluminum and gold would be awesome. And I dont think Fisher or anyone else has anything like that coming out too soon. And if they did..I would be the first in line, and sell all my machines (except my protos) to buy it. What really bothers me is how the technology in other areas just advances by leaps and bounds every year. Take for example cell phones. The things that were able to do with our cell phones wasnt even deemed possible a few short years ago. It seems that although metal detectors have come along way in some areas, that are still lacking in the really important things such as discrimination and depth. I know some may disagree with me on this however, if youve been in the hobby for at least 20-25 years you may realize that some of the top of the line machines back then go just as deep as todays flagships. Dont believe me? Well, try finding a old 1260x or 1265x on Ebay, and if you do how much are you gonna pay? A decent 22 yr old 65x is still gonna run you around $250. Those machines are still highly sought after by the relic hunters down south....becacause they go DEEEP! I honestly believe the technology is there but for some reason it is being held back.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 12:13PM by Aaron.
June 14, 2010 12:24PM
The primary reason for the LACK of rapid technological advancement of this hobby..... is the fact that it is STILL just a 'niche' market. For those of us die-hards in this hobby,,,,,,,,, especially the monomaniac, obsessed folks of whom are willing to dig/excavate pits at relic sites....................can soon realize how exceptionally rich the dirt truly is. I am NOT just refering to 'financial' value; rather, our priceless history. Yes, dollar-wise, there are trillions of dollars in the ground. Yes, this sounds 'hard to believe' to most folks. Maybe not to us detectorists. We realize that banks have not always had FDIC, FSLIC. Even just 50 years ago......... and further back (for thousands of years) ..... folks did not trust banks; subsequently, buried their wealth. Think of all the relics that CONTINUE to be found.......and in the same old beaten spots.........and on a regular daily basis (as metal detector technology slowly improves). What about all of the documented Spanish galleons. How about the undocumented ones! When a new Roman emperor reigned............what happened to all of the 'old emperor' coinage. What happened to all of the Greek era stuff. Yes, over 95% of the targets we choose to find...........are still in the ground. I surmise, there are probably plenty of detectorists out there, of whom find 'big' stuff............but remain silent.
It's where the money is at. Metal detector technology would advance at a much greater/rapid rate..........if folks only 'knew'. Yes........once again...........How do you know what you are missing, , , , if you don't know it even exists. If the 'money' were "visible".......... then rapid technology advancement would ensue.

I have a (approx) 21 year old 1266X.............and..............yep............on the bench, it's just as deep as today's technology; however, credit is due to the MUCH more rapid microprocessors and better coil technology. Sure, a 1266X & DMC-2b can ascertain the same depth as the F75; however, the F75 will walk circles around these old-technology highly respected benchmarks...........and will pick good targets out of the iron nail infested areas........and in mass quantity. We have come a long way..........BUT, I still think the advancement IS TOO SLOW! Though, it sure is interesting................as a new unit/concept is released every couple/few years.............to have the ability to go BACK to those beat-to-death sites..........and watch it come alive all over again. Common sense tells you that there is only "so much" ..... limited quantity old stuff in the ground. . . . . and........... once it's removed, it DOES NOT replenish. However, new technology releases seem to defy this common sense fact.

Tom
June 15, 2010 02:57AM
EXACTLY! "niche" Thats precisely the word I wanted to say, but couldnt remember how to spell it. The hobby just isnt taken serious, and.. until it is the technology will be slow going.
Aaron