Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is it the detector or the site!

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is it the detector or the site!
June 25, 2017 01:22PM
I recently got a new colonial permission and have been doing very well with a Fisher F44. Having used just about every detector produced since 1969 and truly believing most targets will be found in the first 10 inches in most cases, do we just like the detector with the most features or do we need just a basic one?
Re: Is it the detector or the site!
June 25, 2017 01:28PM
My reply would be neither of those options,my way of thinking is that 'NO' one detector how ever expensive or in-expensive can do it all,this is why i have a selection of detectors and coils to cover most detecting scenarios.
June 25, 2017 02:02PM
You forgot the nut behind the wheel.....We have detectorists that really know their unit and fellows that swing a detector...
June 25, 2017 02:51PM
Rite You are Dan, Dan as I always thought it took a Year with one Detector to really Know it not a couple weeks. I guess that's why I don't get many New units as Don't want to put much time into learning one. At My age don't have a lot of time left. Lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 05:38PM by Harold,ILL..
June 25, 2017 03:30PM
The biggest advancement is unmasking and recovery for me..so I like the newer units like the deus the racer and the impact. I never feel like I will miss a target with these machines in my dirt...They have better coils and are a bit deeper but that is all I can say for my type of hunting...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 25, 2017 03:39PM
I agree with J&D.

That location, like many locations, the choice of hitting the place with more than one frequency machine should be considered.
The results always produce plenty of food for thought.

"Variety is the spice of life"
Sites are not homogeneous, so ply them with multiple machines
June 26, 2017 04:14AM
Using different detectors gives you an opportunity to apply the differing ways that machine creators/engineers have thought to solve the problem that is finding buried treasure. Why use just one idea/approach when you can use several?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 26, 2017 06:54AM
One of the great things about this hobby is that there simply are so many variables that not one aspect of it can be "cast in stone." There are some mighty fine detectors available today, but I have yet to hear about one that can find something if there is nothing on a spot to find. Hence, it still boils down to that old adage, location, location, location. I also think there are some hunters on this forum that can find good treasure with a variety of detectors. By the same token, having the so called best detector (whatever the best is) doesn't always make one a great treasure finder. (Whatever constitutes a great treasure finder) A lot about this grand hobby is just another mans/ladies opinion. Is it the detector or the site? Shoot, I still don't know! And, it probably doesn't make any difference which! HH jim tn
June 26, 2017 01:02PM
Once past entry level machines its 90% about the site itself.
June 26, 2017 02:01PM
Starts with the site 1st and foremost.

If there's nothing in the ground (or very little/not much good to start with) then no detector no matter how good/bad or expensive/inexpensive is going to find anything/much of anything there.

After that I'd have to say IF the site holds a fair amount of good stuff then the more machines & coils you can use on it = the better because each one will hit on different targets better than others or hit deeper on certain ones or is better suited to sift thru iron/trash, and so on. No "one" machine no matter how cheap/costly will see all the targets in/under all conditions.

The more experience an operator/digger has in the field with various/numerous detectors helps too.
June 27, 2017 01:00PM
Site. I can go with a pin pointer and make spectacular finds with the right site.
June 27, 2017 02:11PM
Indeed its the site....being a hunter years ago if there isn't a 10 point buck on the mountain your not going to shoot one...
PS: experienced hunter with his equipment certainly a plus for any site..
June 27, 2017 03:33PM
If there's nothing at a site to find, then the best detector and user aren't going to find a thing! So I'd put site at the top of the list. At sites where there is something to find I'll say an experienced user with a average midrange detector will easily out perform an inexperienced user using a top of the line detector.

tabman
June 27, 2017 10:53PM
I say site too, but there are so many varables, is it wet, real dry, trashy, there are so many others, this is were many differant machines come in handy, and you have to know how to run them too, my final answer, YES
June 28, 2017 06:15AM
tabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there's nothing at a site to find, then the bes
> t detector and user aren't going to find a thing!
> So I'd put site at the top of the list. At sites w
> here there is something to find I'll say an experi
> enced user with a average midrange detector will e
> asily out perform an inexperienced user using a to
> p of the line detector.
>
> tabman

+1
June 28, 2017 08:35AM
I am the " Nut behind the wheel" spinning smiley sticking its tongue outDan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You forgot the nut behind the wheel.....We have de
> tectorists that really know their unit and fellows
> that swing a detector...
June 29, 2017 08:31PM
Early experience with a Coinstrike. I was at a site and getting nada, nothing, but I KNEW there had to be something good there, so I persisted until I pulled up two gold rings on a paper clip. The paper clip was masking but I persisted until I got a non-ferrous response.

So I say both. Got to have confidence in your site, and confidence in your detector.

HH
Mike