Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, you appear to use auto tune in your beach video

Posted by Bayard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, you appear to use auto tune in your beach video
June 28, 2017 03:59PM
I'm relatively new to using a CZ3D. In your beach video, you appear to be searching in auto tune, and then switching to discrimination mode only when you have a signal.

What is your thought process or rationale for doing this? Do you do the same thing when hunting on land?
Re: Tom, you appear to use auto tune in your beach video
June 28, 2017 04:28PM
Most Beach Hunters do this for a little extra coverage.
I can't speak for Tom , But doubt it as Most land Hunters do so in Disc. Mode with 0 Disc. And let Tones and Modulation tell them what to dig. Unless way out in the Woods Relic/ Coin Hunting or open areas, Auto tune would drive You nuts as stopping to check each signal. I am no expert like some on here, But it's JMHO.
June 28, 2017 05:18PM
Harold is right on... autotune covers more area...have used it on land in real old places with few signals...on a beach It would drive me bonkers with so many signals...
June 28, 2017 06:56PM
Also, I believe his all metal (auto tune) on that unit is deeper than the disc.....remembering correctly. Also, the cz doesn't ID in AM.
June 28, 2017 08:42PM
This is called reverse discrimination. I used this method when I beach detected with my Minelab Sovereign and it worked very well.
June 28, 2017 08:51PM
That's what was so cool about the Nautilus DMC Detectors..They had All Metal and Disc. Running in unison. You got the extra depth and coverage from All- Metal with a Disc. Mode.
June 29, 2017 08:40PM
Bayard,

As I am now in 'full on' mode with beach hunting this season; your question is 'in time' with my current intents. I am no longer hunting inland....... and putting full focus on wet salt beach hunting.

Yes, In the Beach Hunting video........ I am in 'auto-tune' (all-metal). Here's why. Most CZ's that have come across my bench.... have always performed better (deeper) in ID mode........ especially in no mineral, low mineral, medium mineral soils. ((( All bets are off for heavy/bad/mineralized soil ))). In the video, I am using a CZ-6a (which is actually the one-and-only CZ-3D prototype .... that took me a couple of years to contrive/invent/perfect...... before releasing to Fisher))). Initially........ this CZ was also more depth/performance/sensitive in ID mode; however, I managed to change certain components + tune it so as to ascertain the same depth performance in auto-tune/all-metal mode. This is in the 'salt' mode only. The 'enhance' mode still retains slightly better performance in the ID mode.

On the wet salt beach............. whilst in auto-tune........... the audio intelligibility is less fatiguing and more understandable/intelligible than the ID mode. For instance: Whilst sweeping coil...... and bumping coil on very slight washboard sand aberrations ......... you can (just barely) hear......... and can tell......... that the slight audio variations are directly attributed to the 'bumps in the sand'. IF IF IF you are in the ID mode........ this is a 'silent search' mode......... and these slight bumps will induce/present very 'positive' audio hits.......... many times fooling the operator. In the ID mode...... even weak targets can be audibly boosted to full volume. Sooooooo........ if you are in the ID mode.......... and these mild bumps on the washboard sand....... gives a resultant of fairly loud 'hits'. Unwanted!

Plus........ after a few years of experience in the auto-tune/all-metal mode............ there appears to be much more audio intelligence presented....... giving a much better signature-to-hull-emitter-correlation on the size/shape/depth of a target.

Out of time!!!!!
June 29, 2017 09:29PM
Tom having used CZ's for 25 years I can tell those squeaks and squacks and half hits...Only ever hunted N.J. saltwater beaches which are loaded with junk and to me would gladly hunt in ID mode as switching back and forth modes would be mind fatiguing at best with all those good hits which most of the junk will give you. Having said the aforementioned have used autotune in the boonies where junk is not prevalent and made some nice finds. Really don't understand the method to your madness but guess whatever works...
June 30, 2017 01:59AM
Dan........ my beaches (on the wet slope) have almost no targets. Targets are very few and far-in-between. To answer the question about the DVD/Video........ it is easy to see where targets are few/far-in-between; hence, the justification of all-metal/auto-tune.
June 30, 2017 02:17PM
Thanks Tom indeed conditions vary...by the way have watched some of your videos and very informative....
July 01, 2017 04:14PM
((( I have a little more time...... ))).

Sooooooo........... what I have learned whilst in the auto-tune mode........ has given me the skill-set to transition into a high-powered PI unit for the same/exact wet salt slope beach hunting location(s). All the audible-intelligence that the CZ presented...... fully transitioned into the PI unit....... with extreme identical/parallels ((due to same physics principles)); subsequently, opening many more doors. For those of whom are serious wet-slope beach hunters........ you may want to try/learn the skill-set of all-metal mode. Initially........ it's difficult. In the end.......... it is more than just 'very rewarding'. You will find that you no longer need to keep switching back-and-forth between all-metal and ID mode......for each individual target. Because: You will 'know'. In the DVD...... I deliberately would switch back/forth between A-M/ID modes......... for the viewers better-understanding, validation and confirmation of the new knowledge 'gained' ...... (via demonstration). In the real world......... especially since I hunt with a all-metal ONLY.... PI unit........ I do not (and can not) switch back-and-forth between all-metal/ID mode(s).

Now with this acquired all-metal skill-set........ if I EVER have to take a PI hunting at a inland dirt site.......... it is now more possible/probable........... ESPECIALLY..... if it is a large open field whereby targets are few & far-in-between.

((( I should have put all of this thread (above) data on the: CZ Salt Training 101 thread! If someone has the time..... it would be much appreciated! )))