Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First Impressions of the Impact

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First Impressions of the Impact
July 03, 2017 11:53PM
Finally got out this weekend. I'm not that much of a dirt hunter anymore, but every once in a while I get the itch. .....

I was impressed with the Impact. It seems to have plenty of power and depth. The stand that folds up and down is a very nice stand. Probably the best I have ever used. There was no interference on the 14kHz frequency with my Whites TRX. I stuck with the DI3 program and just increased the gain. Everything else I ran stock. I really didn't prepare for the hunt like I should have. I had no idea where the good target numbers were or really how to adjust anything. I just wanted to let the detector do it's thing. It is a great detector in the trash just like the Racer series. I didn't find much. Just some clad. But I came away thinking I found myself a good detector.

Things I didn't like........It's too easy to switch programs and not even know it. I was adjusting gain and found myself on an entirely new program. Maybe a program lock should be the first upgrade. The print is small on the screen. The back light helped. Volume was a little on the low side. I have a pair of old RATS that I always use. I had the volume maxed. I can't imagine using this detector on a windy beach. Maybe volume should be upgrade 2. The width of the armrest didn't bother me because I'm one of the few strap users out there. But the angle of the handle is not quite where it needs to be. Fatigue in the wrist was a factor. Ergonomics seems to never get the respect it deserves.

No detector is perfect, and I call em like I see em. This Impact is a real step up over the Racer series. It can hunt with the big dogs and do well. I have been reading up on the manual, and I intend to set it up to my liking for the next hunt. Tone breaks and all.
Re: First Impressions of the Impact
July 04, 2017 01:48AM
Looking forward to hearing more Goodmore
Good luck
HH
July 04, 2017 04:35AM
I like mine as well. I don't have an issue with the volume at all. I don't ever set it higher than two "bars" (1/3) up on the dial and find it plenty loud. Can't imagine needing to go any higher. I use Black Widows. Perhaps it's your head phones? Seems I've read on other posts where guys were having issues with certain head phones ( posted over on FM I believe). I have to use my "seeing eye glasses" no matter what detector or size of print...maybe I just need longer arms!? Did you try the little coil yet? It's dynamite in iron infestation. Looking forward to hearing about your future hunts. Good luck!

Dean
July 04, 2017 10:20AM
Low volume, more than likely your headphones. I use lower ohm headphones and the volume is just fine.
Think your wrist issues is due to you gripping the handle too tight. When I relaxed my grip, it made a difference.
If the battery pod on the rear of the handle could be slid up a couple inches, the smaller coils would balance a bit more level with the ground.
Did notice the 5x9 coil did balance a bit higher than level, so a bit more downward wrist force was needed. This could also be part of your wrist problem.
I have bad wrists so detectors need to balance near perfect. You can get a better perfect balance if you are taller 6' plus with long arms and extend the lower rod out further.
Good thing the coils are epoxy filled, the extra weight helps out.

Only minor issue I am finding using the 5x9 coil, is that the bottom edge of the coil is not flat. So if the monopod are not extended some, the Impact wants to fall over in the grass.
I have the protective environmental cover over the battery pod, that could be the problem. So if I take it off, falling over may not be an issue any longer. I put the covers on due to the
wet grass in the morning.

I like the Impact, overall one of the nicest detectors I have used and look forward to using again. It has so much to offer.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 04, 2017 07:36PM
This is first machine who is work in our trash sites and separates items very well. After WWII all fields are filled rubble mixed with 200 years and older rubbish...and Impact work on it! You should lower your gain, even under 70, but I can work easier than with XP Deus and with good depth!!!

This machine really shine mates!

Im impressed, next near machine is Rutus Alter 71 in my opinion.
July 05, 2017 03:08AM
Indeed, Shelton. It works the trash better than any other machine I've swung... especially with the small coil. I also agree with you and the gain. I keep it at or below 80 mostly.

Dean
July 05, 2017 06:19AM
I was try to use gain from 85 to 95... this is too much... for me.
July 08, 2017 01:55PM
One thing Nokta needs to do is have a picture of the detector in that cute case so I know how to put it back in there. I was out for another hunt yesterday. I had my own custom DI3 program. The detector worked very well. People expecting this detector to be an expensive Racer would be very wrong. If I had to compare it to any detector out there that I used I would say a cross between the F75 and Deus. It hits very deep, and I was using the 5 x 9 coil. Round targets are easy to identify. The tone breaks work very well. I had it set up to find nickels. I dug four. One a Buffalo. No date. I'm not sure I'll ever use all the programs available. But I believe I found myself a very good detector. I switched to Jolly Roger headphones. They are very comfortable and the volume seemed to be no issue, but I did have it maxed out. I'll have to try the included headphones just to compare. Waiting on the wireless headphones. The stand as I mentioned is very very good. I just need to remember to put it down. No interference at all with the Whites TRX and that could not be said with the Deus. Target ID does not lock on like a Minelab, but it so much better than the Racer detectors I have used. It will bounce around but your number will be in there. Like I said the round coin targets do much less bouncing. Especially from multiple angles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 02:11PM by goodmore.
July 08, 2017 04:28PM
Crossing my fingers on an improved ergo Makro version with more of a coin focus! I really liked the Impact just didnt feel for me and my hunting style it offered much more than the now cheapy f75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 04:28PM by detectingMO.
July 08, 2017 09:28PM
Nice!!

Thanks for the report!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla