Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO + experts needed!

Posted by jackdaniels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO + experts needed!
July 11, 2017 08:49AM
So before I return a MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO I bought from Ebay I would like some input.

This unit didn't come with a battery so I put one together using 8 AA batteries.
It powers on but there is just way too much static.
To make matters more challenging I bought a 15inch WOT coil used.
Is the battery set up correct?

[www.facebook.com]
Re: MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO + experts needed!
July 11, 2017 09:42PM
Im no expert but..

Ona Sovereign when the batteries are say weak..the threshold will get louder and louder as it runs ..this being right before they die...so say you have a steady hum all day then all of a sudden the threshold will rise you know the batteries are getting weak..but should be no noise from weak batteries...also the detector will beep every few seconds like a chirp every thirty seconds...

Now you say you have a Big 15??

Is that the only coil you have??

you say static do you mean like tones all over the place or actually just a static sizzling sound??

Are you running indoors?EMI will KILL you it will sound like a caliope..wah wee waaaaahh sounds.

Have you tried auto sens to see what happens...or even turning it way clock wise..((remember it's backwards))..clockwise is lessening and counter is gaining in sens..

If you switched it out of auto and left it right there it will be really noisy..thats maximum gain...and get quite noisy especially with a huge coil like you have..

Sovereigns are bullet proof units usually...so Id say go outside put it in locked auto sens and see what happens..

Also I saw your pack....If you find its working properly order you two of these...[www.ebay.com]

wire them in series to get twelve volt's...they will fit inside the case and door will close...the factory used those.

that would be you take the red lead from one pack and solder it to the black lead of another pack and heat shrink the connection...no you will have a black lead and a red lead left one from each pack...that will give you 12 Volts...hook black to negative control box lead which is also black..and red to positive control box lead which is also red..you can reuse your connector you have now ..

the packs will fit long ways side by side in box and the connector can lay in middle...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 10:22PM by Keith Southern.
July 11, 2017 10:00PM
jackdaniels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So before I return a MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO I
> bought from Ebay I would like some input.
>
> This unit didn't come with a battery so I put one
> together using 8 AA batteries.
> It powers on but there is just way too much static
> .
> To make matters more challenging I bought a 15inch
> WOT coil used.
> Is the battery set up correct?
>
> [www.facebook.com]
> 84509675.1073741828.100004078950124&type=1&l=9fbcf
> b5c77

There may be some setup options you could use from my book. Here's a link when I posted it here:

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Hard to believe it was 20 years ago when I wrote it. Hope it's of some help. Hope you have a smaller coil to learn with as that WOT will be a challenge if you're new to the Sovereign...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 10:01PM by TexHunter.
July 11, 2017 11:53PM
If it did not come with battery how did seller know it worked comes to mind....been a long time since I used one but feel keith covered it well...Looks like a problem child...Personally would send back and save yourself a lot of aggravation...
July 12, 2017 12:19AM
I'd try a known good coil for the Sov
cjc
July 13, 2017 10:30PM
Ya, these units don't roll over and die easily. They are however susceptible to moisture. When you want to diagnose a machine--always start with the power. Swap out the cells--and make sure there are no problems with the holder you have rigged. T/H fluctuations often point to one bad cell. Wiggle whatever lead you have rigged too and listen for changes. Then see if you can try another coil. Finally try pulling the board and giving it a spritz of contact spray. Check the paperclip that connects the board to the shielding plate as wel and where you are going to attach it. Give it A blast of spray too. Also hit the coil connector pins--and seating holes. These are great units--don't give up too easy.
Hope this helps.
cjc