Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nevada Ghost town/stage stop trip with Brian "Cal cobra"

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nevada Ghost town/stage stop trip with Brian "Cal cobra"
July 13, 2017 07:08PM
Went on a 4th of July weekend trip with Brian, to various Nevada ghost towns, stage stops, watering holes, etc..... Nevada is laced with all sorts of boom and bust mining burgs. All during the 1860s to the 1910s, there were all sorts of rushes to various places for various digs (typically silver). Some lasted and were profitable. Others were shallow and got worked out fast. Towns of 300, 800, or even into the thousands could spring up in a year. Then fold a year or two later. Absolutely crazy.

And then add in railhead spur-sidings: Where a small burg might spring up to handle the cargo & freight (heading from railheads to mining districts in the hills). 25 or so people, and a few buildings . For coal, water, a freight yard, etc... could spring up.

Then factor in the east to west migration through various routes across the Nevada desert. Routes of which changed with times and eras. Like some routes went through boom town areas (thus stage stops sprouted along the way) . But if a strike went bust, and the town died, then so-too would routes through mountains ceased to be favored. And thus little spots along the roads (stage stops ) would likewise fizzle. And sometimes you find mention of such sites, yet ... no one in modern times knows (or has recorded) where it was exactly.

So it was quite fun to research out to not only try "obvious" spots, but also to take a stab in the dark at some others that were/are supposedly lost to time. Just passing mentions of cross-roads, stations, springs-said to be stop-spots, and so forth.

Of the true blue "ghost towns" most are just a waste-land of scrap iron. And sage-brush so thick you can't even swing your coil. And needless to say, the more colorful ones have been picked to death by past md'rs. But it was still fun to practice with our arsenals for iron-see-through. And to research sites which got less md'r traffic. Just to get a rimfire, or suspender clip, or button, kept our notions alive that it's still technically possible to get a period coin too smiling smiley

Enjoy the pix . If anyone wants further detail on the blow by blow of the hunts, a fuller story is on the Calif. kinzli forum (make sure you've got the current server site).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 07:16PM by Tom_in_CA.
Re: Nevada Ghost town/stage stop trip with Brian "Cal cobra"
July 13, 2017 07:14PM
One spot we tried, was an extremely short-lived stage stop. Less than a year ? Supposedly indian troubles arose in the area, so the site was abandoned in favor of something a few miles away. The spot is no secret to the history books, so ... needless to say, ... we discovered it was practically sterile via past md'rs. And actually , not much iron either. Thus evidencing the short-lived nature of the spot.

Nonetheless, I did manage to find 2 age indicators: An underwear button and this bullet. Can any of you please date and give the type of this bullet ? I'm sort of curious if it will match up with the dates of the known history/usage of the site. If so, I fancy that this bullet was a part of the defense against the indian troubles said to have plagued this particular spot smiling smiley

July 13, 2017 07:58PM
Nice report, Tom. Looks like you guys had a fun trip.
July 13, 2017 08:27PM
Great report & find pics Tom.-----Little pieces of American history--every one of 'em!-----What detectors/coils were you guys using & how deep were those seated dimes?
July 13, 2017 08:55PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great report & find pics Tom.-----Little pieces of
> American history--every one of 'em!-----What detec
> tors/coils were you guys using & how deep were tho
> se seated dimes?

I was using a mix of 2 machines: a) Explorer II, with 11" pro coil, and b) Tesoro Bandido with 7" coil. Even though the bandido is better for iron see-through, yet it doesn't get the depth of the Explorer (assuming un-masked targets). And naturally it doesn't have the full-scale tone ID that makes using the explorer so fun. But I definitely noticed, in some nail-riddled desert floor conditions, that my target count speed doubled when I'd switch to the Bandido.

However: Both the seated dime were found with the Explorer (luck of the draw?) . The 1877 was perhaps only 2" deep. I think I kicked the ground around, and it moved. The 1858 was deeper though. Perhaps 6". The soil at the latter site lent itself to targets being deeper.

As for Brian: I believe he used the Impact the entire time. We seemed to be about equal on target counts. Some spots he did better. Other spots I did better. But some of that could be attributed to simply which direction a person wandered off to start hunting at. We did not do too much comparing of signals, to evaluate the Impact.
July 13, 2017 08:56PM
Can anyone venture an ID and a date-range for the bullet in the final 2 pictures ? Thanx.
July 13, 2017 09:00PM
That's a St Louis Arsenal Colt Navy Revolver Bullet..

That Underware Button has a Name on it probably...clean it up might be a good UN..

Some of the ones here in the South with Southern names on them will fetch $100.00 or more..

Nice digs

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 13, 2017 09:32PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a St Louis Arsenal Colt Navy Revolver Bulle
> t..
>

Thanx Keith. Got a date range for when those were in-use ?
July 13, 2017 10:06PM
That exact bullet was for the 1851 Navy .36 caliber..

At first the Navy's were cap and ball..but,, and this is all from memory so may not be exact but pretty close...The St Louis arsenal started designing that teardrop around mid 1850s and probably made them till the navys ( and navy copies like remingtons and such) were converted to primer systems in the late 1860's..so the arsenal probably made that bullet from mid 50s till MAYBE early 70s??

If I was to date that with that button I would say its a solid 1865 give or take a couple years site..but that's only two targets..but they go together and look like a hunt here in a 64 65 site...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 13, 2017 10:10PM
Just found this link Keith. It pretty much backs up what you're saying. And the pix is identical to mine. Thanx !

[www.pochefamily.org]
July 13, 2017 11:05PM
He nice hunt, I think I just found the same button today, I'm just about to look it up, yours might say "warranted not to cut"
July 15, 2017 03:16PM
Posted on Brian's thread about this hunt, so I figure you deserved a post as well! smileys with beer Seateds are always welcome!thumbs down
July 17, 2017 12:56AM
Awesome hunt Tom! Looks like a lot of hard work. Love the silver you picked from the trash.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 17, 2017 02:14AM
Good report tom. Looks like a good time to me.

Nice score on the bullet and cc seated too thumbs down