Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nails

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nails
December 08, 2010 01:23AM
How come on most nails square or round heads I get a high tone or a mono tone depending what I am using and a VDI of about 70-90 if I disc out say six or higher on the LTD and G2. Once I start to dig them I get a iron hit becasue I have broken up the ground. Same happens with sheets of rusted iron or say tops of old cans or the can itself.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Nails
December 08, 2010 01:58AM
The crazy thing is that it happens with all detectors I've used. I've gotten better with my Explorer but a bent square can sometimes sound good from all angles. Has to be a VLF issue not just LTD or G2.
December 08, 2010 02:22AM
All detectors .... is correct. I have reported on this phenomenon to great extent on this exact subject.......deep into this forum. It's a design engineers nightmare. It is the tip & heel of a nail...........especially of 90-Deg bend in nail.............that'll cause detectors.........regardless of brand.......to 'false' into a high-conductor status. This is on 'iron' nails.

Steel............is yet another entirely different entity. It is a hybrid alloy. Yes, base metal is 'Fe' (iron)......but zinc/tin/nickel and some other alloys that create 'steel'......will cause detectors to false into 'high-conductor' bracket. Flat/sheet steel is terrible! TR's had lessor problems vs motion VLF's.

Technologically......we are not that advanced (yet).
December 08, 2010 02:44AM
Yep, same with me last night...had a decent signal from almost all angles, a little choppy. Ended up being a 5 inch bent nail. Glad you mentioned it, now I know why. Thanks.
Aaron
December 08, 2010 02:59AM
So how do you find good targets in iron. I had the same thing happen to me today in perfect ground moist rich. We found a lot of square nails in areas but while digging them we found buckles small shoe and belt buckles. But I have read that some guys will hunt and get grunts and then a good tone in iron and dig. It seems the nails we ran into today all sound good with good VDI. How can you find the relics that are hiding in the iron? Well I had to keep diging the nails out but my detector was confused as was I! I was using the G2 and it ran perfect. My friend used my LTD with the small DD on it, it ran perfect. Any tips for hunting in iron on the LTD...Tom do you use four tone? Don't the nails hit on the high tone. I remember from one of you videos to do a 180 and if the tone breaks up it must be a nail.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Hey LowBoy I am not Tom but if I may
December 08, 2010 04:46AM
give my take on it for what it's worth...

Iron hunting is very tedious for sure!!!

The machines you mention I also use for iron hunting and they work really well for me...I hardly get no falsing from nail's unless there bent...Dave Johnson really has a good iron I.D. circuit..

But I spend hour's and hours in one spot no bigger than a 15'x15' area picking through these area's....and have for over 20 year's..... some target's that cause you to dig after awhile will probably come as second nature to ignore...

There's no way I could ever work dense iron with a 1266 fisher... it was always a Tesoro back then that picked better...You could work iron with a 1266 but you dug the fool out of all iron over 6 inches deep and alot of surface nail's to boot...the problems you are having with the modern detector is night and day over the older fisher's in iron...

I actually like a machine to sort of get iffy on nails ...that's the way they can unmask adjacent target's.....it's the quality of the signal you are after in iron....it might just be a spit but enough nail spit's will alert you to a different sounding spit or sputter or chirp that has you digging...( Visual Target I.D. in real machine gun rapid fire nails is basically useless) it's all audio in iron....

That's another reason I don't really like tone's when really getting down to hard hunting a spot...the machine like say the T-2 although excellent scares me whenin anything above 1 tone .. the simple reason being the tone break's at a pre-determined point ferrous to non-ferrous is at 40....well lot's of co-located target's will pull below 40 by averaging and just grunt...And 1 tone to me dont seems like it has that good ol disc range like some analog's I have used to really split the nail's the setting on the t-2 being around 21 but there either there or not not enough in between iffy nuanced style nail signature I cut my teeth on...

Some machines for one reason or another cant deal with the scenario well...I have a detector that is struggling with this issue on the simple bases of just to good of a false to discern it from a legit hit...

if you think the Tek's are tuff in iron try a AT-Pro in the nails and you will really chase signal's....( but you would probably make some great finds in the process)

You mention the 180 target check.......Well that works better on isolated target's than it does on the iron infested site's because you might be getting that particular signal at the only angle it can sound off...

Remember the nails you are digging or getting hit's on are just a fraction of the ones that are being rejected perfectly ....

(It's the stuff I cant hear that scare's me..)

I know it is a hard way to hunt but that's the area's the other's also avoid,,,because of the same reason's you have mentioned...

If you could see all the iron trash in a spot just lifted out of the ground at let hover for a minute in the air in would probably discourage you from even hunting the site...

1 surface nail can mask a true prize be it a Confederate belt buckle a foot deep under it or a rare 200 year old gold coin or big silver dollar...

Iron is a challenge and you have to be up to the task...BUT being in perfect unison with your machine to the best of your ability and having a machine you are confident with to work the iron is very important for success... Some times you just dont never click with a machine the next guy does wonder's with...

Never knew something so fun could be so hard Ha-HA...

once you get into the realm you are getting into now you are passing the hobby stage and it's starting to become a skilled form and the detector is a tool that is just as important as any craftsman tool he uses to work his magic...

we too can do wonderful thing's with our detector's...

It does not take a 1500.00 machine to unmask better than a 200.00 machine it's still 75% operator and being in total harmony and having an understanding of all aspect's of the nail hunting art.

Sorry for the long post probably more than you wanted to hear and I am exchanging information you may already know..

Keith
December 08, 2010 04:25PM
Thanks Keith

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 08, 2010 08:56PM
It's all great to be "in tune" with your machine, but you'll never know unless you dig it.

I've been bored after a long time of not digging and dug a sure square nail hit and bingo - something surprising. I had a hard time with the LTD in iron, but I liked 2F, 0 discrim, 4x6 coil, best. I just decided a different detector was a better match in that environment.
December 08, 2010 10:47PM
Well said Keith.

To become affluent with one specific unit is very important. Knowing a detector for many years of 'language learning' is a good start.

Yes, monotone in iron is (usually) the best way to go .... because you (then) only have to concentrate on the 'length' of a audio response......instead of multiple tones........(and length of the tones) ...of which.......some may be 'falses' for you to contend/discern. Stick to monotone. It's much easier. TOO much brain processing requirements with multiple tones in thick iron.

COMPILATION #1, COMPILATION #2 and Rcpt Ack of F75 Ltd Proto.......I cover this.
Re: Hey LowBoy I am not Tom but if I may
December 09, 2010 04:07AM
Keith, I really appreciate your post, thank you for the time spent writing it. I spend most of my hunting time at a big park thats around 2 miles from my house that has had activity in it for around 150yrs. It is my favorite place to go, and theres only few select places in it that I care to hunt and havent been to disturbed for the last 50-60yrs. I have been hunting it since the mid 80's and I still manage to find silver, relics and jewelry. There is one spot that I found 9 silver dimes and lots of wheats, but its really getting difficult to find anything there now cause I've pounded it so hard. The area is thick with pulltabs and iron (nails, screws, wire you name it.) I discovered a spot last summer where there was nulling out for at least a 20ft line. Did some probing around and discovered there is a old rusty 3/4 inch pipe only 3-4 inches below the surface. This is on top of a hill and the pipe just go's off into nowhere towards a field. Theres nothing out there for it to be hooked into, and its to shallow to be a water line. It really bums me out thinking about how much good stuff that thing is masking. I think what Im gonna do is pick a area of about 5x5 and did everything. Betcha I get some goodies.
Aaron