Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mr Southern - 1023 Chinese Metal Detector

Posted by rustic charm 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Mr Southern - 1023 Chinese Metal Detector
July 26, 2017 02:10AM
Hello Sir -

After reading what you had to say about these cheap little Chinese detectors and also from your vid and a few others, I decided to take one of these units for a spin myself & was totally amazed at how well it discriminates & the fact that you have 4 hunt modes with a simple flick of a switch or a push of a button all with the same thumb and not have to change your grip.

I like you was initially taken back at the unusually thin shafts/rods - However after using it for a few hunts, it appears to be solid enough while keeping the weight to a minimum I suppose. I thought about transferring the control box and coil over to a different shaft setup, as I too could see the abilities of this little unit, however a simple roll of camo wrap put an end to me doing just that. Now it feels like a million bux.

Thank you for the heads-up on this metal detector -

Now what I would like to ask you Keith is, do you know how to get a little more depth out of this unit? - I have taken a couple of pics of the PCB for you to look at & provide your opinion -
Also, would the coils off Bounty Hunters work on these units as they run at 6.6kHz and I see a few Bounty Hunters run at this frequency but don't know whether the plug ends are the same. Any idea?

I did have another Q? but it has escaped me for now - will post later if I can rememeber, so thank you again for taking your time out to test out these 1023's - I love the little thing -

This is the only way I could post up some pics so if not allowed mods - please remove
[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Thank you

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
Re: Mr Southern - 1023 Chinese Metal Detector
July 26, 2017 07:00AM
I don't remember having lived in China and working at a factory.
Because the soldering looks like it was done by me. angry smiley
July 26, 2017 08:48AM
China is gradually raising its MD level:

[youtu.be]

Quest PRO is getting ready for release:

Metal Detector Quest PRO. Technology (type of circuit) VLF, multifrequency. Underground and underwater search (immersion under water up to 3 meters). Large screen with backlight and a separate LED discrimination scale. Wireless headphones and communication with the smartphone. Built-in Li-Po battery (2000 mAh) with USB charging.
5 search programs, 6-tone sound response. All other parameters (ground balance, weight, declared running time, and more) - the Quest Q40 metal detector coexist.
July 26, 2017 10:27AM
The Q20 and Q40 will be released middle of Sept.
The new Quest Pro release date has not been set yet.
https://www.treasurelinx.com/quest_md.html

I will have something to play with soon.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 26, 2017 10:31AM
vfp7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [youtu.be]

This "quick release" system looks familiar.
July 26, 2017 10:56AM
x2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vfp7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > [youtu.be]
>
>
> This "quick release" system looks familiar.

smiling smiley

[youtu.be]
July 26, 2017 12:29PM
Back on topic, gentlemen.
This detector has been discussed a little on the Geotech1 forum. But rather surprisingly, no-one seems that interested in it, the most recent thread on it failed, despite renewed worldwide forum chat about the machine.
Here's two threads:
[www.geotech1.com]
[www.geotech1.com]

The fact that there's SMD and leaded versions out there makes things a little more complicated.
I think it's likely that increasing front-end gain by +50% or +100% is worthwhile.
There's also a 12" searchcoil in existence....but it's only available as part of a complete detector. Maybe if you looked out for a faulty one of these on eBay, for example, you may be able to salvage the coil.
July 26, 2017 08:28PM
Thanks Guys - Yes the new Quest looks like it might be a good one

Pimento - thanks for the advice & I am checking out those forums now - I have a guy who has a Chinese Quickshooter detector with a crook coil - thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 27, 2017 01:58AM
The GC 1023 has been around for quite a few years now, and for a Chinese detector priced a good bit under $100 it performs surprisingly well.

Like Rustic said, it's cheaply built but the discrimination is tight. Depth ain't great, but it's as deep as most other entry level detectors that cost more. It's basically a beep and dig, the VID only indicates strength of signal. The couple times I used it, I thought it was a good performance bang for the buck.

I remember Dave Johnson saying the Chinese aren't serious competition now, but give them 10 years and they will be. That was about 5-7 years ago.
July 27, 2017 04:12AM
As for the internal pots...Not much can be done with those..

I think one may be for freq?? and the other for ground balance..

not a sensitivity pot to tweak in other words..

and there is larger coil...but hard to source..

Funny the coil is super tight..but not really deep...seems as though the windings are backwards..acts like a 4 inch coil..I would wonder if the larger one is same way...there's a 12 available so might be a 6" in performance..LOL..

What's unique about the 1023 is that it has tone break and Sweet modulated analog audio...not sure why they can put a tone break that's user defined on a sub 100.0 dollar unit but they can't put it on a tejon????Maybe they will copy a Tejon and do it grinning smiley

Ill say this if you have an exposed site no ground cover the 1023 will about hang with anything in thick iron for 4 inches or so..and a 2K dollar machine in thick iron wont go past 4 inches in thick iron...

If there was some serious reverse engineering on that reverse engineered design like some horsepower added to it...well we might have a (( and I don't mean this in a BAD way)) ferrous non ferrous only non metered Euro unit....They may be just this basic principal but AMPED UP...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla