Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bike grip for straight shaft...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bike grip for straight shaft...
August 02, 2017 01:19AM
I now have a Minelab180 meter for my Sovereign and wanted to mount it on the hand grip, but the stock grip is made of plastic. I'm needing one of those metal bike grips that's not curved at the end to fit the V clip to. All I'm finding are curved and if I cut the curve off, it becomes too short.

What have you guys used and were does one find such a thing?

Tks...
Re: Bike grip for straight shaft...
August 02, 2017 02:07AM
You have a couple of choices..keep looking till you find one long enough to cut curve out without being too short..

Or what I do is cut it about 2.5 inches from bottom and insert a 3/4 inch O.D. tube inside the part sticking up...should fit tight....then cut a piece of 3/4 inside Diameter tube(( which is pretty standard size for the bicycle grip and metal detector rods))...slide it down on the 3/4 O.D. sticking up and pop rivet it on then slide a rubber grip down on it and cut it off to be flush with top of grip...

to mount meter you can pop rivet a piece of flat 1/4 x 3/4 inch aluminum bar stock...slide it inside the handle and pop rivet it from the sides..bend it over and mount V-Clip..

Get a dremel tool and you can get real fancy..

Im working on a Mod right now I may share in a week or so myself Not a Minelab though!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 02, 2017 05:12AM
Or here's an option too

[www.ebay.com]

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 02, 2017 10:56AM
Not a bad solution Keith considering the cost of bike handle and grip separate. Also for an Xcal up grade for the PP switch those would be perfect. Otherwise...... do like Ole beach nut does ........ heat the curved ones and bend um.

Dew
August 02, 2017 07:16PM
Hey Keith...
That link looks just like what I'm looking for. Wish it weren't 30 bucks just for one handlebar end. Searched all over the net but could not find anything just like it. If they were straight, they were too short or carbon fiber. At least with the others you get two of them so you can mess one up in the process.

Might as well order one.

Thanks
August 02, 2017 11:19PM
[www.niagaracycle.com]

[www.walmart.com]

[www.sustuu.com]

[www.sustuu.com]

there out there ..heck used to buy straight ones at walmart for like 12.00 a pair...but havent seen them lately on the shelves..

The plugger one has free shipping and it feels really good and sturdy and you can even make it longer if you like buy a compression system that's in the end of the grip loosen it up and the pole slides off and a longer one could be added or whatever ....I think that plugger one is maybe a custom knuckle piece he has made ..because I've looked and looked for that knuckle...

Another option is if you know a guy that can weld aluminum you can make one for like 5 dollars whole rod..I have a guy at work who can weld up all sort's of stuff for me...he can even can make say a Garrett center rod attach it to a standard say whites upper rod pistol grip using his lathe...He's always building me some squirrely stuff LOL..

Sometimes when you get to modding stuff its becomes an obsession to get the right Look and setup and can become quite a fun hobby in itself..

You'll know you have it bad when you purposely stroll around home depot on a sunday afternoon looking at sorts of stuff and thinking I can cut that off there and add a piece there and make a mount or bracket etc...an employee comes up to you and asks what you're looking for and you say IM NOT SURE!!

I got a great detector stand once at Big Lots..saw a cheap plastic tool box 4.00 bucks.. and said man than handle sure is tough on a cheap tool box and angled perfect for a stand on my Lobo St...Right width and all ...took the belt clip attachment off the bottom of the lobo and removed the handle from tool box and the inside of the handle was recessed and lined it up on lobo drilled two holes in handle and attached it to the bottom of lobo using the belt clips holes...looked better than factory!!and no more setting lobo on the ground as I have it under the arm mounted and it always annoyed me to sit it on the ground...

Good luck..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 03, 2017 03:56AM
Keith, you're a man after my own heart. I've modded about everything I've ever bought. Seems like an obsession but really we're just looking for something we have in mind that isn't available anywhere.

I looked at the carbon fiber ones you listed. Do you think it would work for attaching a v clip to it and be secure? I liked the one on ebay because it was aluminum and I can work with that material. I can even weld it if I have to. Can't do that with the carbon fiber.

Speaking of modding your Lobo, what seems to be the best way to add a stand to the Sovereign straight shaft to keep it off the dirt/sand? I could probably adapt another stand of sorts to it but haven't looked into it very much yet.