Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Darn Test Garden

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My Darn Test Garden
February 24, 2011 03:28AM
Well, I finally have a test garden and I can't believe I never had one before. Many thanks to Tom for helping me see the importance of one. I love being able to practice with my F70 and see the differences between settings and coils. My 8" silver dime, however, is a heartbreaker. I have long suspected my max depth here in Illinois was around the 8" mark because of my lack of deeper finds. I can get a great audio hit on the 8" dime with a few of the settings but the ID is consistently in the iron range. Usually "10" or less and there is just no way in real world hunting that I would ever dig something like. Most site just have far to much trash to make it worth while. There does seem to be a distinct audio to it in the 1F setting but for trashy parks, fairgrounds and yard I don't know if I will be able to make the correct call by sound alone.
Re: My Darn Test Garden
February 24, 2011 10:08AM
LGC did you clean your test garden before planting coins.
If its new the coins might need to sit there for a bit.
At least you know what your up against.
February 24, 2011 01:19PM
A 'sanitized' test-garden is paramount. NO tiny flecks of (undetectable) rust allowed.
Around the Chicago area......I know what you are saying to be correspondingly/exactly true. At approx 8" (or deeper)......targets will ID as 'iron'. If you have the opportunity to try a Explorer/E-Trac..........see if you have differing results. Do NOT take anyone elses word for it; rather, try it for your self......and on the exact same target. (That's one of the blessings of a standardized test-garden).
February 24, 2011 02:38PM
Which coil are you using on the F70? What is the ground phase reading in your test garden and how many bars are showing on the FE3O4 meter? I find the 11" DD will ID targets a bit deeper before they drop down to iron.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
February 24, 2011 03:29PM
I think Tom's suggestion of trying an Explorer or E-Trac on you 8" dime is spot on.I believe it will be a real eye opener so to speak.The reason I say this is that our soil in southern MO is quite similar to your soil and conditions.The mentioned machines will ID a silver dime solid at 8" and most times sound is unmistakable at 9".
February 25, 2011 03:15AM
I use the 11"DD coil on the F70 almost exclusively. My test garden soil GB's at 55 and I have zero bars on the dirt graph. Occasionally I have hunted with someone who claims to excel with his Etrac. Next time I run into him I will try to talk him into trying my test garden. I am in the southern part of Illinois.