Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Impact in iron (some observations) pic added

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta Impact in iron (some observations) pic added
August 04, 2017 03:27AM
The mighty Nokta Impact.

How good is this detector when hunting in iron?
It does pretty well.

I have tried to follow the host here Mr Danksowski's comments as he continued to provide here on the forum as he tested and used,
He says a site cannot be hunted one time with one mode and or settings and pull all the targets.
Is he right here?

Some folks reading what he said, may have thought what, all you are doing is changing the number of tones reported, no real differences right?
Now as Mr Dankowski was testing he commented on certain modes as far as depth, frequencies too.

But what about hunting in iron and nails, are the Impact's modes here all basically equal when it comes to reporting nonferrous targets?
Now some may be thinking right away, the answer is no, but just because of the deep mode, knowing it does have a slower recovery.

What about the DI99 mode?
I had read where some enjoy using it. I do too btw.
Will it pull out all nonferrous finds the Impact is capable of? Giving clues via recognizable audio?
The short answer here is no.
I'll explain in a moment.

Before I go any further, how many folks here watch all the videos where nail board tests are done, detectors are even compared in the same videos sometimes. How about the ole " down the barrel nail and coin test". I watch these, I'm sure others do to.

Watching all these test performed and videoed (I do appreciate folks,doing btw), what is missing?
What do we seldom ever see in a video as far as how a detector behaves and even how it behaves with settings adjustments and if applicable mode changes?

The answer is a nonferrous grounded to a piece of ferrous like a nail.
Would seeing such be helpful?
You bet ya!!

I am sure a lot of older members here have read the following, I strongly suggest new members to read. This article is somewhat tied to the rest of this post here.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

So how do the modes DI99 and DI3 differ on Impact?
DI99 mode allows no tone break settings, they are already done for a user. And the targets reported reports on a sliding scale depending on how the detector responds (sliding scale) with felt conductivity of a target.
DI3 allows for tone breaks as well as tone pitch adjustability.

DI99 seems to ID wise report faster as the coil moves over the ground while looking at iron, nails, and possible nonferrous.
DI3 seems meter wise to report slower.

Watching the DI99 mode with the coil in action over a polluted site, one might think the meter is under shooting and overshooting TiD numbers wise when compared to DI3.
Personally I can't say for sure.

So what advantage does DI3 bring to the table DI99 don't or DI 99 mode struggles moreso at doing?
It seems DI99 could be over reporting (or reporting too good) here in instances where ferrous materials and nonferrous materials are possibly extremely close and "for sure" when a nonferrous is grounded to a ferrous object.

When on an outing this afternoon in this site I have put a lot of heat on with some I think very good detectors.
Under where this old jail once sat.
Btw this where I found the fake capped bust dime with Nokta relic detector last year.
This site is super duper polluted.
[tnsos.org]

So I was operating in DI99 for a while here today, then took a break and went to DI3.
Tone breaks were 15,,and 95.
Mid tone freq set to 33.
Btw here, this is a real good way to run DI3 in a polluted site.
And btw Mr Keith Southern talked about this as far as Nokta Reic detector, it works with Impact too.
Will allow a user too focus on mid tones and disregard the high tones provided on iron falses.

So I am sweeping along using smallest coil and get this mid tone, consistent seemed like a tight signal, meter holding steady at 19.
I was using DI3 99 gain. 20khz Disc level 2 with the tone breaks as stated above.
So I had a good steady pretty clean sounding target but it was reporting just a touch outside of iron range (0-15) according to manual.
So I switched to DI99 mode, used the same disc setting, I swept suspect target nothing period I would have ever dug,,sounded like iron and a rolly Polly meter reading to boot.
Even if I tried to really control coil position and sweep, tone was extremely low sounding what their was of it.

So I started digging, at about 5-6" deep I retrieve this rather large nail looking thing (remember this site loaded with square nails all sizes). After second glance I noticed some threads on the end of this old rusty nail looking thing. Turns out it was a what looks like copper fitting, I can't tell if it is welded by corrosive effects or is mechanically screwed to the piece of iron.
So the use of DI3 allowed me to pull this target out. DI99 wouldn't allow me to.

After seeing what had happened I tried to duplicate at the site, but the site too covered in iron and IMO was skewing my results.
I did check this once back home over sterile site, and was able to duplicate what I saw with the object buried and undisturbed.
Now remember my first tone break was set to 15, had I had it at 20, would I have even heard the target?

I will also comment on this here.
Nail and iron density as far as a site goes.
No detector can paint the true picture here, but Impact with smallest coil does the best here of any detector coil combo I have ever used.
I have spent a lot of hours just recently here in this site with Rutus Alter 71 using 9x8" concentric coil, running 0 disc btw.
Rutus is fast, but it won't give a user as good a picture or ferrous density on a site.
Deus is fast too, but it can't do this here as well either.

Btw running DI3 mode and having it set the way I did, comparing it to DI99 fewer higher tones on iron.
And I think having the mid tone not too far pitch wise above iron range allows a user to spot an " interruption in the music the detector is playing".

I thought I would share my experiences.
I still haven't mastered another service in which to post photos.
When I do I'll post a pic of what I found today.

Here is pic of find.
IH coin is in pic for scale.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 01:29PM by Sod-buster.
Re: Nokta Impact in iron (some observations)
August 04, 2017 08:29AM
First: very good report -review. Thank you very much mate. Second, maybe with DI99 microprocessor is overloaded by data processing... and sound processing for output source? You need to process many signals convert to audio and send do speaker... But I'm not engineer.

I was find in one hole last time: rusty nail, piece of can and copper coin... so Nokta works for me perfect. DI99 is like XP Deus multitone mode, but I can only work 20 to 40 minutes with this program winking smiley
August 04, 2017 12:53PM
Good experiment. Good report. Good site.

((( I was beginning to wonder if folks even realized there is a "Home Page" to this web-site...... as most folks only frequent this 'Discussion Forum'. )))
Re: Nokta Impact in iron (some observations) pic added
August 06, 2017 06:02PM
TNSS are You bacK???

LOL!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 06, 2017 06:58PM
When I first started to detect, and shortly after created an account here.
Had I known how enjoyable, fascinating, and HOOKED I would have become, I would have picked a different forum name to start with.

The name itself I think sent folks and me too down the wrong tracks.

I did at the time live and breathe rimfire.

Hence now Sod-buster is here.
So we will see what happens.

Have got to run some different units since.
A lot actually.

And maybe a DT warrior will be next.
I may get to play with a golden mask 5 too soon.

Some of the rabbits " detectors" may have to be thinned, in case more rabbits hatch. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 09:39PM by Sod-buster.
August 07, 2017 01:31AM
Nah - sod-buster can't be tnss

no one that was laughed off of a forum by 90% of it's members because of the regurgitated garbage and BS that guy spewed on a constant basis would have the nerve to come back under a new ID pretending to be someone else just to deceive us all and start with the same old crap again.

Could be wrong I guess but if it were me = I'd not show my face ever again after the above eye popping smiley
August 07, 2017 03:30AM
TNSS----is that you TNSS????------Same style---nah, that CAN'T be TNSS----CAN IT?????winking smiley
August 07, 2017 04:05AM
Shelton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First: very good report -review. Thank you very mu
> ch mate. Second, maybe with DI99 microprocessor is
> overloaded by data processing... and sound process
> ing for output source? You need to process many si
> gnals convert to audio and send do speaker... But
> I'm not engineer.
>
> I was find in one hole last time: rusty nail, piec
> e of can and copper coin... so Nokta works for me
> perfect. DI99 is like XP Deus multitone mode, but
> I can only work 20 to 40 minutes with this program
> winking smiley

I can't say exactly what causes.

IMO it is akin to what Deus can do with 0 or low disc using full tones.
But Deus disc can be raised and bring a similar scenario to life tone wise.

Raising disc on Impact don't seem to help.
Mr Danksowski did comment in his testing, Using DI99 mode, real low conductors could be missed becausethe tone can be driven so close tonally to iron tone.

I have seen this as well.

I have put 5 more hours in the site I talked about above and a sister site nearby.

And used DI3 tone break at 15, and tried to really push the Impact.
I never did get a signal like the target able in the initial post.
Got one close, turned out to be a square nail with a bigger flat head.

So all the rest were nails.
And these suspect targets,and I found with DI3 and checked with DI99, just based on DI3 data, all these suspect targets I would rate based on my Impact knowledge and experience, as < 2 out of 10 chances of being nonferrous.
The one target I mentioned I would have gave a 4 out of 10 chance.

Now, remember this site busted hard with Nokta relic small coil, Deus 9 and 11" coils, Rutus with concentric coil.
So it is very possible I found some of the nonferrous targets with these detectors, that may have indeed gave mediocre odds of being a nonferrous had I swept with Impact and smallest coil.
If I discount this possibility, it leads me to believe Impact with small coil, with what is detectable using Impact with small coil, I am not seeing any less than mediocre tones being provided on existing nonferrous targets.
Now, could I have actually depleted site of nonferrous, the reason why?
I doubt it seriously.

So just maybe the way Impact and small coil and tones work, there is little window here for a somewhat corrupt signal to actually be a nonferrous.

Will keep plowing along.
I have 4 other sites dated same time period.
And see if results mirror this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 04:08AM by Sod-buster.
August 07, 2017 10:30AM
I was wondering when someone would recognize that SB is TnSS........Welcome back, now that the coin is out of the pouch.
August 07, 2017 11:30AM
Hm...

What does not allow to activate the usual discrimination on both sides of the scale for exactly the same effect as using the cut-off of targets by sound in DI3 mode?
August 07, 2017 06:07PM
Sod-buster that's a good report, with some astute observations that hopefully will be lessons learned for all.

I've come to rely on Di3 as my relic/coin detecting mode when detecting ghost towns, stage stops, Spanish colonial type sites, etc. I've tried detecting these types of sites in DI99....nope. Also on my last trip, I forced myself to use the DEEP mode fairly extensively. My findings, it loves iron in that mode. Full disclosure - I've never enjoyed detecting in two-tone mode for some odd reason, so it's taking a while to grow on me. That said, I started using it to check Di3 targets, and then would let it run until I located my next target, and then switch back over to Di3 to cross-check it. You certainly get very different reports from the two modes, and I found myself digging far more iron in the DEEP 2-tone program vs Di3. I run my Di3 in 20Khz (or 14Khz when feasible), 99 sens, custom tone breaks and tone frequencies, and I've started upping my disc. I used to run my disc @ 0, but running it at 5-10 has been beneficial in reducing audio fatigue. I set up the DEEP mode as per NASA-Tom's recommendations from his field trials. I could see DEEP mode being an asset, but not so much at these iron infested sites.

Lots to learn on the Impact, I like my Impact, but my Racer2 isn't going away any time soon.
August 08, 2017 12:10AM
Brian, Yes............ indeed............ there is a learning-curve for DEEP mode to be able to distinguish iron from non-ferrous on the deeper items. Your ears do most of the work........ but 20-Khz helps in carpets of nails....... along with a Grnd Bal offset. This Grnd Bal offset is site-specific (due to decomposition status of local/site iron).
August 08, 2017 08:55AM
Good reading Tnss, i'd much prefer to read your reports over some of the other first time 'factory testers' with their fairy stories!
August 08, 2017 12:01PM
Cal and Ghound,
Thanks for your replies.

Cal,
Make no mistake I read your threads here and elsewhere.
And take in what I can. Your sites and reporting, all should should be following your experiences when you post.
Good stuff!!

Ghound,
I try to explain what I am seeing and hearing.
I don't do videos, so it's more challenging to do I think.
But videos themselves don't tells folks everything either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 12:02PM by Sod-buster.