Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

g2, at pro,

Posted by seeker41 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
g2, at pro,
February 28, 2011 02:48AM
i need help making a decision! i need help choosing a new detector. i own a excal, cz20 and a new(used) tigershark that i just bought for tiny gold and chains. i do not think i will like or keep the tigershark since it only has one tone. the tigershark hits on/sees tiny gold and chains that my cz20(salt mode) and excal will not!!!
what can i replace the tigershark with that will........

1. at least equal its sensetivity to tiny gold?
2. have very clear audio (some type of faint signal audioboost)
3. be a hip mount machine or pistol grip type shaft........i hate s-shafts but would modify the at pro if i bought one!
4. primary use would be freshwater beach, soccer field, playground and park hunting for gold rings, ear-rings and chains.

AUDIO IS EXTREAMLY IMPORTANT TO ME DUE TO 35% HEARING LOSS (have trouble with high tones)

i have read the g2 and at pro reviews and im still having trouble deciding. is one better than the other on tiny gold, audio etc:. i will be buying a cz6a but could use some help with the others mentioned.if you recommend a certain model please be very specific/detailed. thanks guys,
chuck(seeker41)
Re: g2, at pro,
March 02, 2011 11:10PM
sorry, i thought this might be another one of those...."which one is better" posts when i posted it!! i wish i had a kellyco near me so i could pick each one up and hear the audio.
March 02, 2011 11:30PM
While I can't recommend a detector, I am in sympathy with your hearing loss. I can't hear high-end sound either. Thus I have found that high quality headphones are a must!
March 03, 2011 12:39AM
Its my eyesight. I hate to have to wear reading glasses just to see the display on the detector. I thought about taping one of those credit card size magnifying glass over it.
In Bad dirt the At is deeper
March 03, 2011 01:57AM
been running head to head and the At-Pro in bad dirt is deeper ,..It even deeper than the f-75 LTD...Not that the Ft machine's cant hear the target's but they call deep target's Iron in bad dirt the At-Pro is very stingy when using the iron tone on deep target's...

Get the audio figured out and the At will flat out hunt in trashy environ's...Co-Located target's are tricky to figure out if it's iron falsing or actually iron and non iron in the hole but once you get it figured out you learn the nuances of the tone roll start and stop point's and it will open your eye's...

Just my take..

Keith
March 03, 2011 02:31PM
Thanks for the info on the AT-Pro, Keith. That's a pretty good testimonial.

The one thing I will say, seeker41, is that the Gold Bug Pro, according to one of the design engineers (Dave Johnson), was designed first and foremost as a gold machine. Not that others can't do the job well, but this was the focus of the engineers when building the Gold Bug Pro. In addition,if this information interests you, then you also might look at a Teknetics G2. The G2 is essentially, aside from cosmetics, the exact same machine, but its default coil is the 11" DD, where the Gold Bug Pro default coil is the 5" DD. While you can get a Gold Bug Pro that comes with an 11" DD instead of a 5" DD (they call that one the Gold Bug DP, but again, same machine), you might like the grip on the Tek G2 better. I know you said you like "pistol grips;" the Tek G2 has a "handle" to hold, instead of an S-shaft like the Gold Bugs have. As for what would work with your hearing, I'm not sure, but the Gold Bug Pro uses a VCO-contolled audio -- and you can set a "tone break point," where anything below that point (in terms of VDI), the tone is a low tone/grunt, and anything higher than that is a higher tone (VCO, I think).

Not sure if any of this helps you, seeker, but hopefully it will.

Steve
March 04, 2011 02:54AM
thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!! your posts are helping!
March 04, 2011 03:43PM
I can't speak for the G2, but I have wanted to try one .....All things considered, I'm not sure that it would really do THAT MUCH better if at all than the AT Pro when it comes to gold !!.....I can tell you that the AT Pro handles Iron REALLY WELL , and does a lot of things very well .... It surprises me more and more as I use it ....It's my "Grab and Go " detector these days .....The fact that you can find them for a couple of hundred less than the G2 and it's waterproof doesn't hurt either ..... The problem is that ALL the cables on the AT Pro are too darn short !!....The coil cable is too short ,and the headphone cable is too short .....and the arm cuff is too short !!.....so your dreams of chest mounting would be cut SHORT if you can't modify the AT Pro ....For the few $$ needed to make these things right , it's a shame that they are made this way .....The real pain here is that the waterproof connector is VERY expensive and to make a waterproof setup , you would have to start there and build what you need as Garrett does NOT offer anything to extend anything other than offering the connector alone at $20 .....Jim
March 04, 2011 06:22PM
synthnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't speak for the G2, but I have wanted to try
> one .....All things considered, I'm not sure that
> it would really do THAT MUCH better if at all than
> the AT Pro when it comes to gold !!.....I can tell
> you that the AT Pro handles Iron REALLY WELL , and
> does a lot of things very well .... It surprises
> me more and more as I use it ....It's my "Grab and
> Go " detector these days .....The fact that you
> can find them for a couple of hundred less than
> the G2 and it's waterproof doesn't hurt either
> ..... The problem is that ALL the cables on the
> AT Pro are too darn short !!....The coil cable is
> too short ,and the headphone cable is too short
> .....and the arm cuff is too short !!.....so your
> dreams of chest mounting would be cut SHORT if you
> can't modify the AT Pro ....For the few $$ needed
> to make these things right , it's a shame that
> they are made this way .....The real pain here is
> that the waterproof connector is VERY expensive
> and to make a waterproof setup , you would have to
> start there and build what you need as Garrett
> does NOT offer anything to extend anything other
> than offering the connector alone at $20 .....Jim

Jim----I wish you would get the G2 and try it.---I'd love to hear what you think of it (versus the AT PRO) & your report on it.----I will say that the G2 handles iron like you wouldn't believe, EXCELLENT (IMHO).----The question I had was will it (G2) get as good of depth as the AT PRO (in like conditions).------What with the "pain in the butt" issues you just mentioned on the AT PRO, I see them as a real "turn off".-----True, (for the most part) they may/will not effect operation--but, never the less---------I do like the fact that the AT PRO is water proof--don't know that I would need that but I like it. grin------I really like the LARGE #'s on the G2 for my "tired old eyes".-----The numbers look pretty small on the AT---do you have trouble seeing them (while hunting)?-----------Del
March 04, 2011 11:50PM
"The numbers look pretty small on the AT---do you have trouble seeing them (while hunting)?-----------Del"

What numbers ? .....You mean , there's suppose to be numbers on this thing ? ......LOL !!...... My "tired old eyes" don't see any numbers !!!..... If something sounds really good , I have to bring the AT up to my face to see the numbers ..... either that or get down low to see them ...That's the beauty of one of my other machines ....I can go into "Digital " mode and the numbers get so big , that I call it the O.F. mode .....Old F_ _ T mode ......

Keith had mentioned that the G2 doesn't really like highly mineralized soil , and he knows , and I know , that the AT Pro is GREAT in highly minteralized soil ... The AT eat's it's way thru trash like a pro !!.... Bottom line , I don't really see that the G2 would shine all that more brightly next to the AT Pro , and in some cases some would be surprised to see the AT outshine the G2 in many resprects ......For the difference in price , I don't see myself jumping on a G2 anytime soon .......I would probably more consider another AT Pro like Keith did to have anohter inexpensive machine around for someone to hunt with when they came for a visit .....Jim