Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out
March 24, 2011 03:20AM
Been using Toms "validated" LTD SE for 1 week now....mostly with the 11" standard coil.
All hunting has been done in a very old park I've been pounding for 25yrs.

Following settings are what I've used exclusively so far:
Sensitivity 85
Disc 15
Tones 3h
Process boost

This park has had activity in it for over 120yrs, so there is iron and trash everywhere. Last year I started using a Explorer SE Pro and discovered the magic of FBS...in all this trash, scoring lots of silver. One thing I had and still have trouble with, regarding the Explorer is scoring the old buffalo and silver nickels and all medium rings in that range...very difficult to differentiate between pulltabs.

Been using the LTD for the last week in mostly heavy trash, extremely impressed with the separation with the big 11" coil, scored some deep 7-8" silver dimes and wheats. One 8" Merc I almost passed up, partially masked had a small rusty nail 2" off center above it. Also found a large beautiful glass button (around 50-60yrs old) with a aluminum back, it was bouncing between zinc & dime button at 8". These targets may not be that deep however its difficult to really find anything this deep in this area because the iron is so bad...I'm impressed.

Also noteworthy is that I did take the LTD in a area that contains a extremely high amount of trash (where Ive spent alot of time w the Explorer) just to see if if was possible to find anything the Explorer missed. Managed to find a 36' Buffalo at 6", within a couple swings. Probably passed over this a dozen times w the Explorer..and thought it was a pulltab.

I'm going to start using the 4f tone next time however I really the lightning speed of this thing..and it KILLS nickels, and I find it usually right 80%

The most important thing I have to say on this thread is the fact that I had already owned a LTD, the "camo" one, and it had extremely bad problems with chatter and rendered it useless in the city. I would NEVER had considered buying another FTP product had Tom not offered this one. He assured me if I had ANY problems he would make sure they were taken care of. I purchased other machines from Tom as well as had him service a couple others and I know he is very honest and can be trusted.

Now I'll I need is some good weather and I'll start trying that 5" coil...

Thanks Tom!
Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 03:22AM by Aaron.
Re: Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out
March 24, 2011 05:02AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been using Toms "validated" LTD SE for 1 week
> now....mostly with the 11" standard coil.
> All hunting has been done in a very old park I've
> been pounding for 25yrs.
>
> Following settings are what I've used exclusively
> so far:
> Sensitivity 85
> Disc 15
> Tones 3h
> Process boost
>
> This park has had activity in it for over 120yrs,
> so there is iron and trash everywhere. Last year I
> started using a Explorer SE Pro and discovered the
> magic of FBS...in all this trash, scoring lots of
> silver. One thing I had and still have trouble
> with, regarding the Explorer is scoring the old
> buffalo and silver nickels and all medium rings in
> that range...very difficult to differentiate
> between pulltabs.
>
> Been using the LTD for the last week in mostly
> heavy trash, extremely impressed with the
> separation with the big 11" coil, scored some deep
> 7-8" silver dimes and wheats. One 8" Merc I almost
> passed up, partially masked had a small rusty nail
> 2" off center above it. Also found a large
> beautiful glass button (around 50-60yrs old) with
> a aluminum back, it was bouncing between zinc &
> dime button at 8". These targets may not be that
> deep however its difficult to really find anything
> this deep in this area because the iron is so
> bad...I'm impressed.
>
> Also noteworthy is that I did take the LTD in a
> area that contains a extremely high amount of
> trash (where Ive spent alot of time w the
> Explorer) just to see if if was possible to find
> anything the Explorer missed. Managed to find a
> 36' Buffalo at 6", within a couple swings.
> Probably passed over this a dozen times w the
> Explorer..and thought it was a pulltab.
>
> I'm going to start using the 4f tone next time
> however I really the lightning speed of this
> thing..and it KILLS nickels, and I find it usually
> right 80%
>
> The most important thing I have to say on this
> thread is the fact that I had already owned a LTD,
> the "camo" one, and it had extremely bad problems
> with chatter and rendered it useless in the city.
> I would NEVER had considered buying another FTP
> product had Tom not offered this one. He assured
> me if I had ANY problems he would make sure they
> were taken care of. I purchased other machines
> from Tom as well as had him service a couple
> others and I know he is very honest and can be
> trusted.
>
> Now I'll I need is some good weather and I'll
> start trying that 5" coil...
>
> Thanks Tom!
> Aaron

it's odd that you owned a "camo" (l.t.d) before and had difficulty using it in your park!
the detectors are identical in construction,and design,so it begs the question,what do you believe is different
with the second (l.t.d!)?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 24, 2011 06:43AM
Perhaps the 'difference' is that Tom worked on it. I build computers and when my machines are completed, they purr. They don't fail. Even after years of hard use. Why? Because I follow all spec's and correct assembly procedures. I stress test the hell out of them before I call them complete. Make sure they met spec's. And I do tweak them a little better than a mfg would, because I have the knowledge to do that. I bet Tom does the same and then somesmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 06:48AM by TerraDigger.
March 24, 2011 01:51PM
Aaron ,

You should really re consider when in the "Pull Tab " range ....You could not only be missing Buffalo Nickels , but you are also missing Gold in that range !!...... There are so many different pull tabs, and they are ALL in the GOLD range !!......Nickels will hit pretty solid ... You will get a double tone with a pull tab, and you won't with a nickel ..... You will also get a double tone with a Gold Ring that sounds almost EXACTLY like a pull tab because of the way they are both basically the same shape !!....Jim
March 24, 2011 01:57PM
You should lower your sens to six or lower and try the small 5DD you still need to unmask targets...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 24, 2011 02:34PM
Jim,

Time doesn't permit me to dig all pulltabs...though I'm still digging some. A lot of times I will budget my time to spend a x amount digging tabs and or foil. I will do that in specific sites and keep track of the areas Thanks!

I"ll try 80 sensitivity w the small coil Lawrenzo. Remembered you using it exclusively w your LTD
Thanks!
March 24, 2011 03:37PM
Aaron ,
Ask my pardner what happened to me when I refused to dig the last pull tab of the day as I was too tired to dig another pull tab ....I had allready dug at least 50 pull tabs that day using a tiny vacation scoop !!....I was EXHAUSTED .....I gave HIM my last pull tab number and even pointed to the exact area .....I gave up a Mens , 13 gram Platium wedding band that netted him over $600 in scrap platinum at the time !!........Tell me I wasn't PI$$ED !!..... I STILL TO THIS DAY have not gotten over that one !!........Jim
March 25, 2011 01:15AM
Jim......I have been in that EXACT same situation......more than once!

((( LCPM......I think you meant 'Disc 6' )))
March 25, 2011 02:14AM
j.t. wrote:
it's odd that you owned a "camo" (l.t.d) before and had difficulty using it in your park!
the detectors are identical in construction,and design,so it begs the question,what do you believe is different
with the second (l.t.d!)?

I'm glad you asked.

Yes..both machines are the same in construction and design...however not EXACTLY the same. Some of these LTD's have "anomalies" that for reasons or reasons unknown perform poorly or better than others. I am a product developer, and never have I seen two of the same, ( even simplest) of products ever turn out exactly the same, let alone a complex electronic instrument! Just like some CZ's are more powerful than others...know one knows exactly why...they just are. This exact topic was (and addressed by Tom) recently. It was that same exact thread that got me to reconsider the LTD when Tom offered the "validated" one. I was willing to take the chance of giving the LTD and FTP one more chance. Glad I did.
There is alot of complaints regarding the chatter on the LTD, the EMI chatter on mine as I had stated had rendered the machine useless EMI is one thing.......but EXCESSIVE susceptability to EMI...thats a entirely different thing.

I would rather focus on the positive here... and that is that having (and being able to have) a new detector validated as a "anomalie ((trouble)) free" machine..and someone who is willing to put HOURS of testing into that machine and still charge retail is HUGE!

Again..I am extemely pleased that this machine does NOT have the same EMI problems as the last one, and here are some examples.

Ex. #1) I had taken the old "camo" unit in my backyard, (when I had it) to test some buried targets..and how do it do? I dont know..I couldnt tell you because the EMI chatter was so excessive! The sensitivity had to be lowered all the way to 20 just to make it tolerable and what good is that?
Maybe it was because of the powerlines I have running down the south and west property lines of my yard.. I would rationalize...however it was just as bad mostly everywhere else in the city.

Ex. #2) Yesterday I didnt have time to detect but felt like just like going in the backyard just to swing the LTD SE and see how it would do..I had no doubt there would be EMI problems. Guess what? None. I was running the sensitivity same as in the park 85 with 11' COIL...NOTHING!
Those powerlines to the south and west are less than 25ft away.

As I said before..I couldnt be more pleased with this machine,,and on a personal note..(I like the BLACK one alot better!) : )

HH! Aaron

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 02:43AM by Aaron.
Synth.....Re: Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out
March 25, 2011 02:14AM
I would have split the money with ya.........but that's mesmiling smiley
March 25, 2011 07:20AM
Aaron Wrote:
> j.t. wrote:
> it's odd that you owned a "camo" (l.t.d) before
> and had difficulty using it in your park!
> the detectors are identical in construction,and
> design,so it begs the question,what do you believe
> is different
> with the second (l.t.d!)?
>
> I'm glad you asked.
>
> Yes..both machines are the same in construction
> and design...however not EXACTLY the same. Some of
> these LTD's have "anomalies" that for reasons or
> reasons unknown perform poorly or better than
> others. I am a product developer, and never have I
> seen two of the same, ( even simplest) of products
> ever turn out exactly the same, let alone a
> complex electronic instrument! Just like some CZ's
> are more powerful than others...know one knows
> exactly why...they just are. This exact topic was
> (and addressed by Tom) recently. It was that same
> exact thread that got me to reconsider the LTD
> when Tom offered the "validated" one. I was
> willing to take the chance of giving the LTD and
> FTP one more chance. Glad I did.
> There is alot of complaints regarding the chatter
> on the LTD, the EMI chatter on mine as I had
> stated had rendered the machine useless EMI is one
> thing.......but EXCESSIVE susceptability to
> EMI...thats a entirely different thing.
>
> I would rather focus on the positive here... and
> that is that having (and being able to have) a new
> detector validated as a "anomalie ((trouble))
> free" machine..and someone who is willing to put
> HOURS of testing into that machine and still
> charge retail is HUGE!
>
> Again..I am extemely pleased that this machine
> does NOT have the same EMI problems as the last
> one, and here are some examples.
>
> Ex. #1) I had taken the old "camo" unit in my
> backyard, (when I had it) to test some buried
> targets..and how do it do? I dont know..I couldnt
> tell you because the EMI chatter was so excessive!
> The sensitivity had to be lowered all the way to
> 20 just to make it tolerable and what good is
> that?
> Maybe it was because of the powerlines I have
> running down the south and west property lines of
> my yard.. I would rationalize...however it was
> just as bad mostly everywhere else in the city.
>
> Ex. #2) Yesterday I didnt have time to detect but
> felt like just like going in the backyard just to
> swing the LTD SE and see how it would do..I had no
> doubt there would be EMI problems. Guess what?
> None. I was running the sensitivity same as in the
> park 85 with 11' COIL...NOTHING!
> Those powerlines to the south and west are less
> than 25ft away.
>
> As I said before..I couldnt be more pleased with
> this machine,,and on a personal note..(I like the
> BLACK one alot better!) : )
>
> HH! Aaron

i don't discount the "possibility" of receiving a 'better" performing detector by comparing both detectors "side by side"
in a'"real" world environment,however,i am wondering if you took the initiative to send the original "camo" back to fisher
and allow them to "o-scope" the detector to determine a "possible" defect.i mention this because "other" owners of the (l.t.d)
have proclaimed that it runs much quieter in (e.m.i) plagued environments,and if YOURS WAS effected by substantial (e.m.i)
this could indicate a problem withTHIS particular detector!....in any event,i concur that any detector checked and tuned by
mr dankowski IS indeed a "very" desirable instrument to possess!...just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 25, 2011 10:22AM
Terra ,
In all fairness, he DID stand over me telling me to dig the target ....I was the one that said ...." Screw this , I'm tired, you can have my last pull tab of the day " ....He told me then and there that if I hear that target to dig it !!......It was my own fault ....He was all over me like a bad cold telling me to dig that target !!......I refused !!.....It was a VERY VALUABLE lesson .... He really is a great friend and payback is a b _ _ _ _ ............ We'll leave it at that !!..... LOL !!!..... Jim
Synth......Re: Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out
March 25, 2011 11:10AM
LOL..........hilarious finish to a 'sad' storysmiling smiley
March 25, 2011 03:00PM
Makes one wonder just how many great targets are left due to fatigue at the end of the day! You hear of a lot of folks saying they made a great find just swinging on the way back to the car. That's not as bad as digging a nice keeper in the sidewall of someone else's plug! smiling smiley
March 25, 2011 06:05PM
Wanna hear another sad story ? ......Remember the extremely cold day where EZ and I took our machines to the beach to check them in wet salt sand ? .....and we got some VERY STRANGE results ? ...... He wanted to go and check out each machine on it's own to make sure that there was nothing wrong with them ....He was not totally versed in how to run the Excal as he never owned one, but I tolld him how simple it was , and it was basically a " Turn on and Go " machine ........He borrowed my Excal to check it out .....He walked on the beach and never even made it to the water and hit his first target !!.....It was a BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND RING !!! .....You can't make this stuff up !!....... He Skyped me and even his wife was on Skype and SHE WAS TELLING ME THAT THE RING WOULD BE HERS !!......LOL !!!....... I'm thinking that I should buy him a lottery ticket !!!..... WITH MY NAME ON IT !!!......LOL !!!.......JIm
Synth......Re: Nasa validated LTD SE 1st week out
March 25, 2011 08:46PM
I lent a buddy of mine my detector I was using, years ago, cause I felt sorry for him and the piece of junk he was using. And yes, out pops a 15+ gram huge men's 14k wedding band, about 5 feet away from where I handed the detector to himsmiling smiley
March 26, 2011 02:16AM
schultzie Wrote:
> Makes one wonder just how many great targets are
> left due to fatigue at the end of the day! You
> hear of a lot of folks saying they made a great
> find just swinging on the way back to the car.
>

Yeap, been there done that ....had a hunting buddy come from out of state one time to hunt with another buddy of mine.....we spent the eve before telling stories, flapping gums ...OH and we had a few brews too winking smiley Anyway we were going to water hunt a few lake edges that were virgin and have a good time ...etc. Ended up being one of them overly hot days and by the time we got to the third lake i was pretty tired of digging gads of tabs/aluminum w/my cz-20. We spent a few hrs at this last place, after 8-9 hrs total and NONE of us had found a gold...... not even an old Silver coin ...it was BAD !!!
I told my buds I was done and heading back to the car.....I drug my coil over another midtone hit and kept walking ..... it was only shin deep water . I looked back,(I was in bad shape) and for whatever reason I went back to dig it(Prolly because it was in the shade of a tree on shore, and I needed a break from walking)... I was staggering like a drunk, but I did it ....just ONE MORE target. It turned out to be a 1971 10K class ring from the U of Notre Dame....I was happy, yet I was completely spent.... I slept 12 hrs that night and 12 the next.
Normally hunting that way would yield 1-3 silver and 1 gold per 100 targets dug... I didnt know how many targets I had dug, but I emptied my pouch after the first 2 lakes into a plastic shopping bag ... 2 days later I counted the nut ....476 total targets, 212 of which were pull/square or rolled tabs .... the 3 of us combined dug almost 1K targets, it was phenomenal...... yet just 1 single precious metal target.
You never know what that "last" target is going to be..... or the NEXT
March 26, 2011 11:27AM
Ahhhhhh.......... 'ratios'. A man after my very own heart! (It is in these details that are sooo important).

((Aaron, very well articulated write-up)).
March 26, 2011 07:02PM
schultzie Wrote:
> Makes one wonder just how many great targets are
> left due to fatigue at the end of the day! You
> hear of a lot of folks saying they made a great
> find just swinging on the way back to the car.
> That's not as bad as digging a nice keeper in the
> sidewall of someone else's plug! smiling smiley

I know I'm guilty of leaving some iffy or tab'ish targets behind after having a rough day of digging oodles of trash targets without any great finds.

One day I was at a large public open space that has some history hoping to find some old coins. I think I found one merc and a wheatie or two, it had been hit pretty hard apparently. There wasn't too much trash so I was digging everything non-iron, and over the day I'd amassed quite a pocket full of junk. It was trying to rain, and I was making my way back to my car detecting along the way. I was using my F70 and got this foil to nickel bouncer. I thought why not, and started digging. I pulled out the target and it had grass roots growing through it, caked with dirt, I wiped the dirt off one side and just saw a dull gold color and thought to myself great another aluminum wino cap. But it felt kind of heavy for a wino cap, so I flipped it over and thumbed the dirt off that side and in the center I could see a Madonna staring back at me. Hmmm......I started to get excited, went to a puddle of water (it had been raining that day) and started to clean it up and was amazed at what was staring back at me. A piece of gold the size of a domino (half the thickness) with channel cut jewels all around the perimeter!

You just never know what that next piece of trash is going to be smiling smiley
March 26, 2011 09:26PM
Another lesson learned = THAT large of a gold target.....and it ID'd in the high-end of the "foil" range. Most gold ID's as 'foil'.
March 26, 2011 09:34PM
Yes...thats bizarre, I would have never thought anything that size would id like that!
How much in gold is it?
Great pic and story, thanks