Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tek Omega with Depthmaster Plus audio amp

Posted by Uncle Buck 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tek Omega with Depthmaster Plus audio amp
May 14, 2011 09:08PM
I recently got a new to me Omega 8000 and have been mainly testing it indoors because of the rain. Omega users are aware of the weak sounds that D3 and D4 tones make and how faint the signals sound.....well I found a solution for the weak high tones.
I hooked up my Depthmaster Plus with volume control and it made a huge difference in the sounds of D3 and D4 tones. They are now good solid signals instead of those faint chirps that you can hardly hear. My Depthmaster Plus has its own volume control built in and is made for detectors that
don't have a volume control. It also worked great on my Silver µmax detector. Although the Depthmasters are no longer made, you occasionally see them for sale on Feebay for 30 to 40 bucks. If you find one for sale buy it, you won't be sorry. It is the best money you will ever spend on detector accessories.
I honestly think the amp will add another couple inches of depth to the detector. You really have to hear the difference it makes, but trust me, it works....

Roger
Re: Tek Omega with Depthmaster Plus audio amp
May 14, 2011 10:46PM
Thanks for that. I've liked d3 and d4 modes but was worried I'd miss deeper targets with them.

It's worth repeating for other Omega owners:
The d1 and d2 modes on the Omega will go deeper than d3 and d4 modes. The d3 and d4 modes are amplified though. To test this out, just find a deep soft signal in d1 or d2 and check it in d3 or d4 - it often won't come in. But, on the shallower stuff it can fool you into thinking it's stronger. Monty actually brought this to my attention.

The d1 and d2 mode is my mode of choice for deeper targets (d2 when there is iron around) but you have to listen to those faint sounds which can easily be missed. Looks like you using the d3 and d4 mode with your amplifier might have helped that issue out (I'm curious how it would work in iron - let us know.)
Re: Tek Omega with Depthmaster Plus audio amp
May 15, 2011 11:25AM
Being around for so many years ought to tell you something....I used one years ago and gave me some more depth but also kept me from getting my ears blown out on large shallow targets. I do know they worked better on some units than others and they had a special one for Whites products as they were wired different. Whatever works and they made a lot of them over the years so indeed come up on auctions and classifieds from time to time..