Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

They just left 'em there???

Posted by agaucufe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
They just left 'em there???
May 14, 2011 09:31PM
Clearly the lumberjacks didn't buy their own tools!

[www.4multimedia.com]

Pete
Re: They just left 'em there???
May 14, 2011 11:58PM
Yep, not unusual at all for lumber camps. Worn out and dscarded or lost tools are everywhere around the old camps. Some of the newer machines make it hard to tell the larger iron stuff like pictured from the small junk by the sounds but a few analogs give telling clues to the size/shape of the iron. Neat finding old stuff like that.

While wading a local beach I found where rafted logs came to a mill and the rafts taken apart. The shallows were infested with "log dogs" which are large hand forged spikes with loops on the ends. They were pounded into the logs to run ropes or chains thru to hold the rafts together as they moved downstream to the mills.

Tom
May 15, 2011 12:53AM
Same goes for old farms...Being an ardent hunter for years saw many an old farm implements rusting away in the fields..Same goes for old cars...just look behind the old barns......one guesses thats where a lot of iron comes from hunting farmers fields and found many whatchamacallits and a few horseshoes this way...not to mention an old coin or two and wow that fertilyzer really eats em up.....
May 15, 2011 01:46AM
You could possibly clean up some of those axe heads and use them or display them if you chose.
Areas where there are logging camps are always full of these items. Today's operations are mechanized via automated
equipment and the chainsaw. The saw and the axe are now relics.
These are some nice finds.
May 15, 2011 11:11AM
Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could possibly clean up some of those axe
> heads and use them or display them if you chose.
> Areas where there are logging camps are always
> full of these items. Today's operations are
> mechanized via automated
> equipment and the chainsaw. The saw and the axe
> are now relics.
> These are some nice finds.

Yep, I see some relics in there , too. Plus some old tools that could be brought back to life & used again.
May 15, 2011 01:26PM
Archaeologists love old iron implements. I can see why......as they do indeed 'tell a story'.

Yes, those items should 'mask' several cubic meters of soil.
May 15, 2011 04:56PM
I love finding the old ax heads, I just sharpen them up and use them to split wood, the old steel is better then the new steel, and if the are broken, I use them for wedges