Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

An old large flat button...

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
An old large flat button...
June 27, 2011 04:23AM
Also found this at the same site.

[www.findmall.com]
Re: An old large flat button...
June 27, 2011 09:09PM
How deep was that Aaron?
June 28, 2011 12:29AM
My guess would be pre-1830's.
June 28, 2011 01:51AM
It wasnt deep, less than 5"

Wow! Thanks Tom!
June 28, 2011 10:58PM
If it has no image on the front, it is what we call a flat button. They are usually the size of a nickle. We find these at cellar holes and generally date them as 1820. If yours is larger (like a quarter) it's probably older than 1820. Some of them can get into the mid 1700's. The design on the back is just a design the manufacturer picked. There are all kinds of wreaths and eagles and crowns on different buttons, along sometimes with gilt, double gilt, treble gilt, orange colour, etc... Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 11:01PM by coinnut.
June 29, 2011 02:55AM
Thanks!
I have a couple of books on military buttons from the 1700's to the 1800's, and would like to get another for civilian types like the one I found.
Would Alberts Button Book have these old ones in it?
mid 1820's all day long
June 29, 2011 05:20AM
very common button from the federal period....nice find.....pound on that site might be some Spanish silver in there if you are in the South especially...

Keith
July 02, 2011 02:23AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks!
> I have a couple of books on military buttons from
> the 1700's to the 1800's, and would like to get
> another for civilian types like the one I found.
> Would Alberts Button Book have these old ones in
> it?

Albert's is a good book to have but does not get into any buttons that do not have a designed front. Those type of plain buttons are just civilian buttons and are just generally identified by time frames. They could have been produced for as many years as they were fashionable. I don't know of any book that can specifically date them. Size usually gives most of them away, as you wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same buttons that grandpa wore, once they were out of style lol.