Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To spray ,,or not to pray,,,bed liner for coil protection

Posted by wurthless 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 29, 2011 04:10PM
I have used it on my Tesoro coils and like it,,, but want all of your opinions on the matter. What I like about it is,,, no dirt sand gets in between the cover and coil,,,, little or no added weight, cover scratches with new coat,,,zero depth loss compared to plastic covers IMO. What I don't like is it is a lesser amount of protection IMHO ( but suffices with gentle use). I have no test data to back me up and value your-all's advice,,,, THANKS
Re: To spray ,,or not to pray,,,bed liner for coil protection
July 29, 2011 04:37PM
GOOD question.

I've been thinking of doing something for my PI. I scrub the coil on the wet sand and even though the pressure is light it will have a sandpaper result.

My thinking is to use a few coats of regular outdoor primer paint in white and then a few coats of something else in a darker color. When the white shows up again it's time to re-apply.

Mt question is: what would that "something else" be?

Regards, Joe (California)
July 29, 2011 07:50PM
I use bed liner spray. Why? Well for one it is easy to apply. Anyone can spray the stuff. It looks good when it dries. It takes away the ability of a cover trapping particles that cause false signals. You can take a coil cover off and clean it out, but after a while that coil cover will crack or just not fit as tight. the bed liner spray is good for at least a couple of detecting outings. It is easy to touch up. Garrett has said it does not void the warranty. I doubt that other manufacturers would void theirs either. And if I wear the coil out, which I have never done, I guess it is time for a new one or new detector. And we would be talking years. I stick my coil right into those breaking waves. I don't worry about particles any more.
July 29, 2011 08:33PM
Be careful what you are using doesn't have a mettalic base as it could cause havoc. It works but unless done neatly
may be a problem if you wish to sell the unit. As far as warranty talk to the manufacturer..Coil covers on land are one aspect but on a wet saltwater sand beach I would not recommend and lets face it when the last time someone wore out a coil bottom unless perhaps gold nugget hunting or severely rocky ground in your area..
July 29, 2011 09:31PM
The Explorers dont like any dirt between the cover and coil. I took mine off the other day when hunting the beach. I plan on doing mine now that im no longer beating the fields and trees. I noticed when i took mine off the front corner was cracked... could have been from constant removal.

Dew
July 30, 2011 01:20AM
I've never seen a coil worn through from use.

There is no benefit that gives me a reason to add a coating. It will add weight, lose 0.05- 0.10" depth, and the inductive effect on the detection circuit cannot be a benefit.

I'd never buy a used unit with an added coil coating. You'd never know if the coil was cracked and the seller was trying to hide damage.
July 30, 2011 03:24AM
interesting points,,,, Ilike the idea myself and have not heard any convincing evidence to not use it,,,,so far.... keep'em coming !!!
July 30, 2011 10:13AM
I agree w go rebel....that coil is going to a have bad resale value and coils just do not wear that easy unless your hunting on gravel and rocks. I have a CZ 70Pro I bought used like 5yrs ago, the guy didn't tell me he coated the 10" CZ coil. You wouldn't believe how much heavier it is...I even tried selling it once, no one wanted it cause of the marine coating the guy put on it.
Also, there is a possibility of electrical interference.
I started spraying mine 6 or 7 yrs. ago and never looked back
July 30, 2011 11:54AM
Never had a problem either. "
"Good day"

"A Bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush"
Re: I started spraying mine 6 or 7 yrs. ago and never looked back
July 30, 2011 12:58PM
Just be careful if you do.............as some coatings are 'zinc' or 'lead' based.
Re: I started spraying mine 6 or 7 yrs. ago and never looked back
July 30, 2011 02:52PM
it should state on the label if there where any metal particals in the mix ,,, right?
July 30, 2011 09:15PM
I don't know, but for the ten bucks it costs for a coil cover and a little silicone ATV to seal it and never having to worry about dirt build-up... I'll just stick to what works.

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
July 31, 2011 01:46PM
schultzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know, but for the ten bucks it costs for a
> coil cover and a little silicone ATV to seal it
> and never having to worry about dirt build-up...
> I'll just stick to what works.

they say it cuts down your depth by some measurable amount,,, and it is heavier( especialy with added ATV)
July 31, 2011 02:59PM
I was told by a MD dealer that if you don't use the coil cover, the Mfg will not honor the warrantee. Not exactly sure that's true. Anyone know for sure?
July 31, 2011 03:11PM
I can't believe that, else the manufacturers would include them with every unit and state so, in writing, within the manual.
July 31, 2011 03:37PM
Good point go-rebels. I didn't get one with the cz but did with the 75. Wouldn't surprise me that he just wanted to make a sale. I don't go for the BSing though.
July 31, 2011 03:54PM
wurthless Wrote:
> they say it cuts down your depth by some
> measurable amount,,, and it is heavier( especialy
> with added ATV)

Aw come on now, at the most 3/16" loss of depth due to thickness of the cover + a minute air gap... and silicone is what, a few grams at best?!! I believe we are splitting hairs now as maybe... maybe, Tom would notice a difference in depth loss that would make a significant difference. I just don't see the need to coat your coil with a bed liner compound... JMHO.

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
July 31, 2011 04:23PM
I don't want to lose 3/16" of depth for any reason, let alone for the 'benefit' of swinging a heavier coil.
July 31, 2011 05:51PM
schultzie Wrote:
> wurthless Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > they say it cuts down your depth by some
> > measurable amount,,, and it is heavier(
> especialy
> > with added ATV)
>
> Aw come on now, at the most 3/16" loss of depth
> due to thickness of the cover + a minute air
> gap... and silicone is what, a few grams at
> best?!! I believe we are splitting hairs now as
> maybe... maybe, Tom would notice a difference in
> depth loss that would make a significant
> difference. I just don't see the need to coat your
> coil with a bed liner compound... JMHO.
and you have every right to your opinion,,,,, stick to it !!! I'm not trying to change anyones mind just decide what points are important to ME so I can decide what I like. I do not want to swing a heavier coil (no matter what the difference is, more is more less is less), same as with the depth,,, I believe there is more than just the thickness of the cover cutting down the depth there is an effect on the signal having to go thru more material (the cover) that increases the loss,,,, I cannot confirm ANY of this as it is just what I have read here and there,,,, that's why I'm here asking your help,,,,, thanks for your imput !!!
July 31, 2011 08:14PM
I do not use a coil cover, don't want any extra weight. As far as keeping it pristine for some one else, thats like putting seat covers on a new car so the next owner can enjoy em. When hunting in rocks i use a rubber tape around the edge where most of the wear occurs
August 01, 2011 01:06AM
that's an interesting option,,,I have acces to big heavey duty thick rubber bands that would snap right aroung the edge,,,, will give that a try
August 01, 2011 02:30PM

Well-In my opinion, never hurts to pray. Better finds that way!
(We all know what you meant)

Anyway-I believe a naked coil is a happy coil.
No way in less than a year (typical manufactures warranty) are you going to wear thru the coil AND have an issue with it.

Most paints have varying amounts of solvents too that can worm away at coatings and seals.
I have been using my primary coil now almost 3 years that way, and so far so good.
If I have to pay another 150 bucks 4 years down the line because I wore thru it-Fine.
Better to remove doubts about any loss in detection capabilities and go with a naked coil.
P
August 02, 2011 01:41AM
Adding a thin coat of polyurethane bed liner spray to the bottom of a coil might ruin resale but shouldn't hurt operation or depth. Be careful with the spray though, it usually contains methylene diphenyl diisocyantate, which is a poison when airborne. So when applying, use a respirator or mask and goggles - no inhaling the fumes or spray.

Concerning weight, a polystyrene (plastic) cover such as the 6.5" x 9" Elliptical Coil Cover for the Ace 250 may weigh all of 2 ounces and the 8.5" x 11" (350) may be ~3 ounces. Compare this weight to a Sun Ray probe attached to the stem which weighs in at about 10 ounces, some 4-5x heavier than any cover. So, coil cover weight is not really a deciding factor, unless silicone sealant is applied to the cover's rim. Then the cover is likely heavier than a thinly applied coat of polyurethane bed liner.

However, the plastic cover may add 1/8" gap or more. Balance this against the increase in sweep friction due to the rougher spray coating. Gap vs friction - both mostly operationally insignificant. Except if the operator perceives there is a marked difference - then it does matter. If you believe you are losing depth or believe the coil is harder to swing, whether true or not, then it matters a lot and you are going to be unhappy.

Coil cover
Pros: maintains coil resale value, no additional friction
Cons: adds air gap, adds weight if sealed, can trap dirt/water, adds cost

Spray cover
Pros: no air gap, lighter, no dirt/water trapping
Cons: Spoils coil resale value, slight friction increase, volatile application, adds cost

No cover/No spray
Pros: no air gap, even lighter, no dirt/water trapping, no frictional loss, no cost
Cons: some coil resale loss, if you scrub the coil over abrasive ground every day for several years or more, you may damage the coil. Before this happen you can spray on the bed liner - the resale value no longer matters at that point and the spray should mitigate coil replacement.

So, my win-win is no cover and no spray.
August 02, 2011 12:48PM
see how things work out,,, we are getting MANY new ideas,,,,, thanks bud !
August 03, 2011 09:10PM
One other option not mentioned as a coating is the plastic coat tool coating. I goes on smoother than the bed liner. I am still in the air about trying it but have seen posts where it has been used with great success for sealing non water proff coils such as the coiltek coils for prospecting. Their is a spray on and dip type that can be purchased. I have also read in the posts about it that it peels off when you want to remove it. Sounds like it would also be a acceptable solution for sealing on a coil cover if applied with a brush versus silicon.
Next thing I would think is the easiest fix for sand getting under the coil cover would be just a couple wraps of electrical tape around the coil edge, only a couple grams of extra weight, removable and easy to reapply.
Just some thoughts.
HH
August 03, 2011 10:54PM
Never use electrical tape. It leaves a sticky residue. Now your using solvents to clean that mess and that causes dry rot and other issues on cables and O rings. Use this instead.

This stuff works just awesome for securing coil wires and othe things. Slice it with a sharp knife and it pops right off. It sticks to itself.

[www.acehardwareoutlet.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 10:55PM by goodmore.
August 04, 2011 02:15AM
wurthless Wrote:
> that's an interesting option,,,I have acces to big
> heavey duty thick rubber bands that would snap
> right aroung the edge,,,, will give that a try

Years ago, before they invented coil covers I used to cut "rubber bands" out of old intertubes and strech em around the coil.