Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for you Fellows

Posted by kasparov747 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for you Fellows
October 06, 2011 11:21PM
I see that many of you have used Tek Se's and Fishers and they do have some great depth. Just curious if you guys have ever used a Discovery Electronics Treasure Baron, which was designed by George Payne. They may surprise you on how much depth they get and they also can use a deep hunter module for extra depth in mineralized soil. Just curious what you guys think about the Treasure Baron. Thanks for any information and have a nice day..
Re: Question for you Fellows
October 06, 2011 11:32PM
I had limited exposure to the Treasure Baron. It has a long learning curve. There are a lot of options for upgrade modules. This would be great if some of the Big boys would start using this design.
I did see fantastic depth with the unit also. They are starting to be harder to find and I feel it will only get harder. It is like a sleeper unit that most people who have them only talk to other people who also have them.

Tom in SC
October 06, 2011 11:48PM
Never used one but just last week I heard there was one for sale on craigs list.
October 07, 2011 12:10AM
Do you know where on craigslist the Baron was for sale? Yes the Baron is a sleeper unit for sure. It is drastically different than most detectors and thats one of the reasons I think people dont use them as much. For some they are hard to learn and they sale them after only a short period of time. However they do handle bad ground with ease and thats a plus. Thanks for the replies and have a good one..
October 07, 2011 12:24AM
I had a Discovery Millenium Coin Trax II ( the non-modular model) and it was a great unit. Super audio, one of the best at identifying bottle caps once you learned it, hot on lower conductive items and deep. Since I did not use it much due to mostly beach hunting ( it was a great dry sand unit....could not get it to settle down or ground balance in the wet, salt sand), I sold it.

The interface is a bit tricky to get used to. You have to read the manual and actually have the unit in front of you to get an idea how to navigate around and change settings. Once you got the hang of it, it then became pretty easy.
October 07, 2011 12:31AM
With limited use could see using the module upgrades had great potential along with a learning period..Weight along with limited potential for repair were cons for me...
October 07, 2011 01:01AM
I loved the Treasure Baron...It was a real force to be reckoned with..Only problem I ever saw was the coils were iffy ...some acted fine other's would false like crazy on wet grass...it was mostly the stock 8 inch coils that acted up the most....I had a buddy who was distributor for them back in the early 90's....I tried all the modules and all the coil's and there was issues with the coil's...Not sure if that was ever fixed or what?

I like the goldtrax module the best...

detector was real real deep and had great discrimination....worked awesome in iron and had a lot of features that detector's today are just starting to add like tone break and all metal with audio I.D. ....

Shoot George Payne designed it so that ought tell you something...Everyone else copies him one way or another in modern detector design..

I have heard he might make a smaller Mark I unit again but who's know's?

Keith
October 07, 2011 02:35AM
Kasparov, just google "all of craigslist" and enter what your looking for. It will search all locations.
October 07, 2011 04:07AM
Yes Payne is a genius, I have his Big Bud Pro, I think its a cool little machine even though George wasn't fond of it.
October 07, 2011 12:53PM
Big Bud Pro was voted detector of the year in 87-88...just loved the way it drove everyones detector crazy at a planted hunts so you had plenty of room in the field. Unfortunately literally ate batteries and was strong in the high coin area but weaker in the nickle and gold ring area. Fine unit way ahead of its time and they did make a buddy box for it so one could use AA batteries instead of 9 volts and they lasted longer. Indeed George Payne was a master innovator and made some fine units and certainly way ahead of his time...
October 07, 2011 02:20PM
I liked the Treasure Baron concept and features. The only one I ever owned was one of the non modular E-Class Barons. (E for economy) I liked the performance but I just didn't care for the user interface and lack of tone id (the E-Class didn't have tone id other than the stutter tone). I would really like to see a CoinTrax II with a more modern user interface. Software drive the menus or something to make it more intuitive to use and setup. Something, anything, beside what it uses now. I considered trying one of the simpler SST's but never did, mostly cause its hard to get your money back out of them when you are ready to move on.

Maybe George will resurface again. A modern version of the Mark I, dubbed the Micro Mark 1 was talked about for a while on Carl's board, but never took off.

HH
Mike
October 07, 2011 06:35PM
Truly one of those older detectors that has surprising performance even when compared to modern ones.
I had one and a Nauty at the same time and sold the Nauty and kept the TB for a while.
It is one of the handful of older detectors that is a deep seeker.