Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox finds deep Roman coin DrTones24k video

Posted by hastings 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox finds deep Roman coin DrTones24k video
September 26, 2017 02:11AM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know the old saying, If you can't trust others
> , you yourself cant be trusted. Ok, I'm ducking ,
> and running for cover......

Very true statement.

Dean
September 26, 2017 03:46AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> BTW for the naysayers that noticed the video edit
> while digging the Roman silver and questioned it's
> authenticity, on DrTones youtube channel he was ca
> lled out on this and said that you'd be watching h
> im trying to find the target for five minutes, hen
> ce the edit, but he offered to post the dig in it'
> s entirety for the negative nancy's out there >grinning smiley<

Brian, yes, it's only natural to edit out nose-picks or something superfluous . But when it comes to the endless nuances of detector comparisons, it admittedly opens the doors to doubts. NOT that anything edited was spurious, deceitful, necessary, etc... Just that the viewer, in a case where MINUTE nuances can drive a difference, then .... viewers will tend to wonder. Sure, call them negative Nancies. But notice too that we md tech geeks LOVE a video that shows every possible "gotcha" in eliminating an angle of doubt. So too then, is the converse (someone that failed to cover an angle, or who left the slightest hint of doubt) likewise going to make persons wonder.

It may be nothing at all (except editing out a fart or nose pick).
September 26, 2017 08:45PM
He did a UNCUT version for you guys LOL.
UNCUT
September 26, 2017 08:53PM
Ehug what to say. The same all time.
September 26, 2017 09:36PM
Well, the unit is a prototype...still. We can't judge it's performance, nor most any other aspect of it until it's completed.
September 26, 2017 09:38PM
The uncut video still does not prove how deep it came from it was in a small clod which could have fallen off any of the larger clods he was removing i am not saying he did not find it i just have issues with the ''deep'' claim which it may well have been but there is no proof of how deep it was.
September 26, 2017 09:45PM
I am not for or against this vid, just stating facts
September 26, 2017 10:37PM
I didint hear much of a signal either on first target. I wish people would not cut a scene it only takes a second to film and if your are going to put live dig then live dig it one constant roll of the tape per say
September 26, 2017 10:39PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> I kept seeing him find the garrett girl over and o
> ver again I think he wants to HIT that THANG.
>
> He has a Message in the video about the detector s
> till being in testing but yet he says it replaced
> his CTX?
> I think he is a Shill for Minelab myself.

spot on smiling smiley well not sure about him wanting relic recoverist but the second part could be accurate
September 26, 2017 10:44PM
I love the back and forth debates about if it's legit or not haha. half the fun is feeling all peoples thoughts on a new machine. We all know the same things will be said with any release. sit back have a laugh and relax. Here is the uncut version of the video [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 11:03PM by Diggs4ever.
September 26, 2017 11:09PM
But we can judge it by his Statement that "it replaced his CTX"

Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Well, the unit is a prototype...still. We can't ju
> dge it's performance, nor most any other aspect of
> it until it's completed.
September 27, 2017 02:52PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> But we can judge it by his Statement that "it repl
> aced his CTX"
>
>

Sure, but he could be a biased source. Do I believe what he is saying? I believe that he believes it. Only time will tell who was right, who was wrong, and who missed out.
September 27, 2017 08:53PM
The light weight would be enough reason to make it the CTX replacement for many. As much as the CTX is my go too machine some days I use the Deus just because I do not want to drive home after 8 plus hours of detecting with my right arm feeling like it is about to fall off.
September 27, 2017 09:58PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I kept seeing him find the garrett girl over and
> o
> > ver again I think he wants to HIT that THANG.
> >
> > He has a Message in the video about the detector
> s
> > till being in testing but yet he says it replace
> d
> > his CTX?
> > I think he is a Shill for Minelab myself.
>
>
> spot on smiling smiley well not sure about him wanting relic r
> ecoverist but the second part could be accurate

For a while I thought relic recoverist was kicking it with brad from the hoover boys, they were in a lot of videos together for a bit, including some thrifting videos, maybe it didn't work out smoking smiley
September 27, 2017 10:36PM
Looks like it's gonna be a good detector. Enjoyed the video. After he got back on the field he stated that 100 Roman coins had been found. My question is, were all those folks hunting that field using the Equinox. I know he's promoting the unit and I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll end up with one when its all said and done. But I do wonder what other units were used to pull out that many Romans. Just think. If he had found that coin with a Vaquero. Tesoro would be moving up. No harm meant, just food for thought.
September 27, 2017 10:55PM
Of the half dozen lads i know that went to Detectival i doubt any of them would believe that 100 Roman coins were found the general consensus was that the finds were few and far between with a lot of people leaving a day early.
September 28, 2017 02:27AM
You guys are cracking me up drinking smiley Ah... where do I start? Yes... I currently prefer the Nox to my CTX. Mostly because it's light and I find it to be more than capable in most of my environments. Yes, it's deep. Sorry I didn't t really take time to convey that more in the video. At the time I found that Roman coin I was a mile and a half away from the tent where I was supposed to be interviewed by a few magazines and let's just say, I was fashionably late tongue sticking out smiley When I returned to that site, most everyone was clearing out. I asked someone how many romans had been found in the few hours I was away and they stated "about 100". Reflecting back on that, I'm pretty sure they were effin with me >grinning smiley< It seemed incredibly slow.
Do I think the Nox is better than the CTX? Just depends on what's important to you? If you like the ability to see multiple targets on a dot matrix color display, you use the GPS, you like FE/CO TID and want a machine that you club a bear with... the CTX might be your huckleberry. If you're looking for a fast, deep, stable (but not FE/CO) TID, more wireless options and a light weight, easier to travel with detector at killer price...the Nox might be the one. After the first few weeks with the Nox I was sold (and the other testers). I describe it as if the CTX and a Deus had a bastard child. Minelab knows full well that this machine will effect CTX sales but that's just the way it goes. They'll make up the difference in volume I'm sure. This is the way that we push the limits of tech and price point. Every now and then someone has to come out with something to make manufacturers compete. I think this machine raises the bar pretty dang high in the value/performance arena... Am I biased? Not really. I am close to the project but that's just because I hold my standards high. I use what I consider to be the best tool for the job and so far I've been pleased with Minelabs products. When I'm asked to be an ambassador of something, it has to be something I can get behind 100%. If my name or face goes onto something, it's an extension of me and I take that very seriously. Reputation goes a long way. I'm excited and honored to be a part of what will likely become a new standard of both value and performance.
Sincerely,
Brandon Ray Neice
September 28, 2017 02:38AM
Oh... couple things real quick.
1: sorry bout the typos. I'm on my phone.
2: The speed test video was only meant to show how fast the Nox could go. It was another manufacturer who found the iron on the side of the test pit and placed it at the top of the coins. That's why you hear the crowd "ooooohhhh" when he places it there. Challenge accepted. That iron was found by me two days prior while making the test pits and I just threw it to the side not expecting it to become a piece of our test.
3: There might not be too many other test videos coming out until the engineers and testers are feeling good about finazing certain aspects of the build. In engineering terms it's kinda like putting the Mona Lisa on display before the paint dries.
September 28, 2017 03:39AM
Great stuff, Brandon. Thanks much for sharing; really appreciated.

One question -- if you were specifically hunting "deep" for old U.S. coins, in a hunted-out park, and needed your machine to be a deep, accurate (in terms of TID) hunter, in that specific application would you hands-down, no doubt, still grab the CTX, to give you the best odds, or do you feel like that Equinox, set up properly, would perform the job quite admirably, as well? I'm not talking about a hunt where you are targeting partially masked coins at shallower depths; I EXPECT the Equinox to do well there...

In other words, I'm trying to decide (as an old coin hunter) if the Equinox (were I to buy one) would be a machine I'd choose at times, i.e. on certain sites where I felt any coins left to be found were more likely to be partially hidden next to trash, or partially masked next to iron/nails? OR -- would it likely be a machine that I would eventually come to choose MOST OF the time, as it would also give my Explorer a run for its money in terms of finding what DEEP coins are left to be found (by capably providing me with deep, accurate, diggable ID, comparable to what I can achieve with FBS)? Is it going to be a machine best at hunting in TRASH, or will it be adept at hunting in trash AND hunting deep? Obviously, most coins left in public places, that haven't been nabbed by decades of prior hunters, fall largely into one of those two categories -- either masked by junk, or too deep to have been ID'd accurately. To find these, would your experience with the Equinox tell you that I will likely need to keep my Explorer, and possibly ADD a complementary machine for hunting better in trash/iron (the Equinox), OR, might the Equinox do both so well, that I would eventually come to grab IT more often than not, with my Explorer becoming more of a "backup unit?"

Tough to answer, I'm sure; just trying to gather information with thoughts toward possible future purchase...

Thanks!

Steve
September 28, 2017 04:26AM
I wish I could give you a solid answer on that. It's tough though. I'm not experienced in your ground, hunting style or other nuances that make you successful with one machine or another. I would say just wait for some more info and reviews to come out so you can better judge. I know you'll be impressed though winking smiley Minor things are still being tweaked and fine tuned but so far, I'm impressed with the depth and the speed.
September 28, 2017 04:35AM
Dr.Tones Wrote:
> I wish I could give you a solid answer on that. It
> 's tough though. I'm not experienced in your groun
> d, hunting style or other nuances that make you su
> ccessful with one machine or another. I would say
> just wait for some more info and reviews to come o
> ut so you can better judge. I know you'll be impre
> ssed though winking smiley Minor things are still being tweake
> d and fine tuned but so far, I'm impressed with th
> e depth and the speed.

Didn't you make a facebook post stating that the Equinox goes deeper than the CTX? If so, are you now recanting?
September 28, 2017 04:45AM
Welcome aboard Dr. Tones.
Good to see you here on Tom's forum...

I'm curious about crown caps and ID at depth in tough soil.
The beauty of the CTX/E-Trac is its ability to ignore crown caps and punch ground
to ID coins in the 8-10" range like no other VLFs on the market...
How does the Equinox stack up?
Thanks,

Bryan
September 28, 2017 05:02AM
Dr.Tones Wrote:
> I wish I could give you a solid answer on that. It
> 's tough though. I'm not experienced in your groun
> d, hunting style or other nuances that make you su
> ccessful with one machine or another. I would say
> just wait for some more info and reviews to come o
> ut so you can better judge. I know you'll be impre
> ssed though winking smiley Minor things are still being tweake
> d and fine tuned but so far, I'm impressed with th
> e depth and the speed.

Sounds great, sir, thanks. I know and respect that you are bound to a large degree of "secrecy," due to your involvement, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I knew it was a tough, and somewhat "subjective" question.

Steve
September 28, 2017 05:08AM
Yes, great stuff Brandon. Thanks for your posts here on the forum.

Like Steve, I’d really like to know how the EQ does as an old school coin shooter, particularly ID accuracy at depth, something we all know the CTX and etrac excel at. I know local soil conditions have a lot to do with different machines relative performance, and so it’s always hard to say how they would compare in someone else’s soil. But what about in soil you know, say in our various Boise parks where you’ve probably tested the prototype? I know how most machines perform here in Boise, and I’d love to hear your thoughts.

And a second question I’m dying to ask, is whether you think us deep coinshooters would get better ID accuracy in 5 kHz single freq or in multi? (In Boise soils). Are we giving anything up, like depth or auto ground tracking, by running in single freq?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2017 05:34AM by wayfarer.
September 28, 2017 06:07AM
steveg Wrote:
> Great stuff, Brandon. Thanks much for sharing; re
> ally appreciated.
>
> One question -- if you were specifically hunting "
> deep" for old U.S. coins, in a hunted-out park, an
> d needed your machine to be a deep, accurate (in t
> erms of TID) hunter, in that specific applicati
> on
would you hands-down, no doubt, still grab
> the CTX, to give you the best odds, or do you feel
> like that Equinox, set up properly, would perform
> the job quite admirably, as well? I'm not talking
> about a hunt where you are targeting partially mas
> ked coins at shallower depths; I EXPECT the Equino
> x to do well there...
>
> In other words, I'm trying to decide (as an old co
> in hunter) if the Equinox (were I to buy one) woul
> d be a machine I'd choose at times, i.e. on
> certain sites where I felt any coins left to be fo
> und were more likely to be partially hidden next t
> o trash, or partially masked next to iron/nails?
> OR -- would it likely be a machine that I would ev
> entually come to choose MOST OF the time, a
> s it would also give my Explorer a run for
> its money in terms of finding what DEEP coins are
> left to be found (by capably providing me with dee
> p, accurate, diggable ID, comparable to what I can
> achieve with FBS)? Is it going to be a machine be
> st at hunting in TRASH, or will it be adept at hun
> ting in trash AND hunting deep? Obviously, most c
> oins left in public places, that haven't been nabb
> ed by decades of prior hunters, fall largely into
> one of those two categories -- either masked by ju
> nk, or too deep to have been ID'd accurately. To
> find these, would your experience with the Equinox
> tell you that I will likely need to keep my Explor
> er, and possibly ADD a complementary machine for h
> unting better in trash/iron (the Equinox), OR, mig
> ht the Equinox do both so well, that I would event
> ually come to grab IT more often than not, with my
> Explorer becoming more of a "backup unit?"
>
> Tough to answer, I'm sure; just trying to gather i
> nformation with thoughts toward possible future pu
> rchase...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

Steveg and the other depth hunters here, thanks for asking Brandon this (and other) questions about Equinox depth/i.d. capability versus the Etrac & CTX. This is the MILLION DOLLAR question for me about this unit. If it's more of a speed/separation machine (which sadly my gut is saying it will be), then the Etrac will continue to be my primary hunt unit 90% of the time. On the other hand...

If the nox can even simply MATCH the depth my Etrac gets, along with the same accurate i.d. at depth, then this unit will be worth its weight in gold to me.

As it stands, regardless of whether or not the nox fits my needs or not, at the price point that it's being offered at, with all it has going for it, it truly is a game changer. However, as I'm primarily a deep coin hunter with moderately bad soil, IMO, the Equinox already has a few hurdles it needs to get over once it's in my hands...

1. Lack of FE/CO - Why they didn't leave this in the nox package astounds me, as it is one of the BEST things which separates Minelab from the rest of the industry.

2. Lack of the flutey tones - To me, as a tone hunter first, the HUGE advantage Minelab created with the tones in the Explorers SE's & Etracs was their "secret sauce." That alone is why many hesitate or don't leave the older units behind. And from all I've seen or read, the tones on the nox are basically the same as on the CTX, which is kind of disappointing.

As many are, I'm on the list for one with my dealer...waiting with baited breath. No doubt whatsoever, this is going to be a revolutionary machine. But is it going to replace what I currently swing, or simply be an accessory is the ultimate test.

As others have stated - and in case Minelab visits here - if they would simply put an Etrac into the same exact body as the Equinox, with the same waterproof ability, I would certainly pay a premium for that...even if the speed isn't as great as on the nox. As long as it had the same tones, FE/CO, etc., I would surely pay $1,300 to $1,500 for it.
September 28, 2017 07:28AM
Some fella stopped by Kellyco today and was surprised to see the Minelab rep there, Debbie, who let him play with an Equinox. According to his short review, the nox is a BEAST, and he claims it goes DEEP. Not sure if that's just guesstimating on his part, or if they did any testing, but according to the photos he posted, it appears they were putting the unit through its paces outdoors, maybe in the backyard at the Kellyco facility.

One of the photos shows the control interface REAL close, which is the most detailed photo of it I've seen yet.

[m.facebook.com]
September 28, 2017 05:48PM
Brandon thanks for taking the time to post your experiences here with the Nox, personally I think Minelab hit a grand-slam with this one, even thought it's obviously not a CTX.

I'm looking forward to turf detect, hit my Nevada ghost towns and stage stops (iron infested sites that they are!), salt water beach detecting at Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, and if the Nox performs as expected in the prospecting mode, I think we'll try out the Rye Patch Nugget hunt next year with the Nox800 (should be a decent gold machine @ 40kHz ??).

Thanks for testing, sharing what you can, and assisting ML engineering make needed tweaks to make this a better machine - at the end of the day, I suspect it will do just fine filling our finds pouches and now that ML has finally released something lightweight, it'll be fun to swing all day long smileys with beer

hh,
Cal

Dr.Tones Wrote:
> You guys are cracking me up drinking smiley Ah... where do I
> start? Yes... I currently prefer the Nox to my CT
> X. Mostly because it's light and I find it to be m
> ore than capable in most of my environments. Yes,
> it's deep. Sorry I didn't t really take time to co
> nvey that more in the video. At the time I found t
> hat Roman coin I was a mile and a half away from t
> he tent where I was supposed to be interviewed by
> a few magazines and let's just say, I was fashiona
> bly late tongue sticking out smiley When I returned to that site, most eve
> ryone was clearing out. I asked someone how many r
> omans had been found in the few hours I was away a
> nd they stated "about 100". Reflecting back on tha
> t, I'm pretty sure they were effin with me >grinning smiley< I
> t seemed incredibly slow.
> Do I think the Nox is better than the CTX? Just de
> pends on what's important to you? If you like the
> ability to see multiple targets on a dot matrix co
> lor display, you use the GPS, you like FE/CO TID a
> nd want a machine that you club a bear with... the
> CTX might be your huckleberry. If you're looking f
> or a fast, deep, stable (but not FE/CO) TID, more
> wireless options and a light weight, easier to tra
> vel with detector at killer price...the Nox might
> be the one. After the first few weeks with the Nox
> I was sold (and the other testers). I describe it
> as if the CTX and a Deus had a bastard child. Mine
> lab knows full well that this machine will effect
> CTX sales but that's just the way it goes. They'll
> make up the difference in volume I'm sure. This is
> the way that we push the limits of tech and price
> point. Every now and then someone has to come out
> with something to make manufacturers compete. I th
> ink this machine raises the bar pretty dang high i
> n the value/performance arena... Am I biased? Not
> really. I am close to the project but that's just
> because I hold my standards high. I use what I con
> sider to be the best tool for the job and so far
> I've been pleased with Minelabs products. When I'm
> asked to be an ambassador of something, it has to
> be something I can get behind 100%. If my name or
> face goes onto something, it's an extension of me
> and I take that very seriously. Reputation goes a
> long way. I'm excited and honored to be a part of
> what will likely become a new standard of both val
> ue and performance.
> Sincerely,
> Brandon Ray Neice
September 28, 2017 06:38PM
Dr.T, thanks for dropping by! With your experience so far, does the E8 ID work well on deep targets, like the FBS models? How deep was that silver roman coin you dug in England? Thanks.
September 28, 2017 06:38PM
Dr.T, thanks for dropping by! With your experience so far, does the E-800 ID work well on deep targets, like the FBS models? How deep was that silver roman coin you dug in England? Thanks.
September 28, 2017 07:41PM
My testing, in my ground conditions with the current firmware version that I am running, the EQUINOX is hitting deeper targets than my CTX in multiple configurations. This is not the end all be all test nor is the Equinox done being refined. Things are constantly evolving and are subject to change with each firmware update. Just my experience. The TID is as stable as the CTX albeit different. Put it this way. When I traveled 3000 miles to detect in England at Detectival, for a very limited amount of time, I was bummed that I couldn't use the Equinox on the first day because it wasn't announced yet. After the formal release of the Equinox on day two of Detectival I was extatic! I could finally hunt with the Nox in the open. And guess what... I didn't put it down for the rest of the trip. Why? I dunno? I just FEEL like it's hitting everything that my CTX would (possibly more) and it's such a pleasure to swing. I prefer it because it's everything I'VE been wanting. But what I want might be different from what you want. In time I'll be able to put out some more test videos and you'll start seeing real reviews. If you're on the fence about purchasing one, I'd encourage you to get your hands on one when the time comes and put it through your own testing. The Multi IQ is very different from FBS in ways that I'm not allowed to explain until the testers and the engineers are satisfied with the results. This isn't because it's proprietary, it's because we're trying to get it tested in as many real life scenarios as possible before we come out and say "this is how it reacts in so and so" and we can't do that until the final version is complete. That's why I can't come out and say "crown tops sound like..." etc. because each step closer to the final product reveals subtle improvements and statements have to be retracted or corrected and reinstated.