Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Perhaps your next foil dig..

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Perhaps your next foil dig..
November 19, 2011 02:10PM
The 1849 U.S. Gold dollar coins was so small(13 millimeters in diameter) had to be designed as so many were lost.

PS: imagine for the same reason awful hard to find..but one never knows......
Re: Perhaps your next foil dig..
November 19, 2011 03:21PM
1849 - 1854........ and produced in high volumes...... and had high circulation. Size was increased to 15mm in late year 1854 because TOO many were being lost. Weight remained the same...... only the diameter was increased.
November 19, 2011 06:15PM
I dig some foil numbers at old sites while crossing my fingers .
Just for that reason. No luck yet and after digging a few it is hard to stay focused.
November 19, 2011 06:49PM
Your gonna wanna look more in the pulltab/nickel range as I have tested

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 07:53PM by Aaron.
November 19, 2011 08:01PM
I would bet in Trash/Iron conglomerate the $1 will not read more than a Square nail......

Wish I could find any gold coin!!!!!It is on my list....

Here's a foil reading from a few year's ago...Seriously it would disc out if I turned the disc up on my Musketeer past 1..So that would of been about foil range....

Sucker was deep with nails all around....How deep well it was past 10 inches....

So you never know ...But I'l bet we have scanned the $1.00 gold coin before and just lost it at nail disc....

Keith

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
November 19, 2011 10:58PM
Yes.... the U.S. $1.00 gold coin ID's just above the iron range. Mid/low foil range. This is to say..... it would not take much masking at all.... to get it to drop down into the iron range.
November 19, 2011 11:58PM
That's the best piece of foil I have ever seen on the forumssmiling smiley

My Omega and I think most detectors, will throw a good target into the foil range when a coin is co-located next to iron. Also as disc is increased, the coin disappears with the Omega.
November 20, 2011 12:43AM
I've dug billions of foil signals in my life time, and all I get is gold rings every blue moon smiling smiley, I would love a gold coin some time
November 20, 2011 12:46AM
Being a CZ guy would bet my boots it would hit in the foil range on a conventional CZ as foil range is real low.

Don't know about a CZ3D as my hunting and testing with this unit is limited.

Last but not,least dial in ground conditions, too fast a swing a rusty nail or two keeping it company, turned coin and your guess is as good as mine...I really feel thats why those relic hunters or perhaps beach hunters that beep and dig come up with some dandy finds...
November 20, 2011 01:18AM
Gold is so very strange, I have found hundreds of gold rings and two gold coins so far. Some gold rings bounce between a good and bad target, some give me an overload signal. I am sure coins are NO exception. One gold coin gave me a zinc cent signal, (LOL I was hoping for a 5 inch deep indian!!) The other gave me an overload signal. Depth, size, orientation in the ground, and so many other contributing factors make it impossible to figure those critters out!!

People argue and argue with me about digging iffy signals. Well they can trust their meter and their beeps. I will trust my instinct and dig lots of trash!!
November 20, 2011 01:54AM
Yes definately iron is going to skew the vdi and pull the numbers down.
Here's what I got on a 1853 $1.00 piece.

F75 LTD SE. 26-31 nickel

Etrac. 12-12 just below nickel

CZ3D. * Nickel

V3i. 17-19 nickel

*The disc on the CZ3D was modified by Tom so this will probably be a higher figure.
November 20, 2011 04:16PM
Overload? Why in the WORLD would anything small and gold cause an OVERLOAD?

Steve
November 26, 2011 03:24PM
My $1 gold buried at 6" reads 11 on my cameo LTD (in my red dirt, with my ambient EDI).
November 26, 2011 10:54PM
go-rebels...

EVERYTHING buried at 6" wanted to read "13" on my F70 and concentric coil (in MY red dirt). Red dirt really seems to wreak havoc on coin IDs deeper than 5-6"...so I am not at all surprised at your result!

Steve
November 27, 2011 01:31AM
Hi guys I have dug quite a few gold dollars out of so call hunted out camps. I run a F 75 camo ltd unit and most of our dollars are 3" to 5" in the ground, some in the middle of small nails. I run the 75 in 4 tones, boost mode, 0 disc, and most of the time around a 55- 70 in sens. I always try to get it as quite as I can but running with noise is tuff but it pays off. One thing to remember is to dig any target that gives you an iron grunt but has a little hint of one of the other tones mixed in, I always circle a target that has given me a iron grunt and try to get one of the other tones to ping, on the average if you get a small extra tone you will have a ferrous target with a non-ferrous 50% of the time...Just be patient and dig and the rewards will come. My buddy and I have dug a total of 7 gold dollars in the past 2 years hunting this way. All camps have been hunted to death for the past 40 years, but the 75 sniffs then out...
November 27, 2011 03:10AM
My overload signal wasn't small and gold!! it was a double eagle with a large 14K bezel around it. My zinc signal was an eagle 5" deep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 03:13AM by Scubadetector.
November 27, 2011 01:01PM
Scubadetector Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gold is so very strange, I have found hundreds of
> gold rings and two gold coins so far. Some gold
> rings bounce between a good and bad target, some
> give me an overload signal. I am sure coins are
> NO exception. One gold coin gave me a zinc cent
> signal, (LOL I was hoping for a 5 inch deep
> indian!!) The other gave me an overload signal.
> Depth, size, orientation in the ground, and so
> many other contributing factors make it impossible
> to figure those critters out!!
>
> People argue and argue with me about digging iffy
> signals. Well they can trust their meter and
> their beeps. I will trust my instinct and dig
> lots of trash!!

Wow, over 100 gold rings and two gold coins! Unbelievable. One of my first finds was a gold wedding band and I actually was able to find the owner after she had lost it 30 years before. Hit hard like a coin on the Nautilus.

Sorry, but this sentence is funny - " I will trust my instinct and dig lots of trash!!" Not sure how you meant that ;-)
I actually go more by intuition (or instinct to a point) as opposed to intellect and have found my best finds by far that way.

Here in Europe we often dig foil signals as that is the hammered coin range. But, you don't find many of those at parks...

Keep up the good hunting and I'll investigate more of those foils,
EMS