Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Value of 10.5" coil on CZ-3D?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Value of 10.5" coil on CZ-3D?
November 30, 2011 11:54PM
Just picked up a 1021 CZ-3D from a local seller and am wondering if anyone uses the bigger coil as their regular 'go-to' coil. The 8" seems plenty deep and I'm afraid the bigger coil will hurt the ergonomics further.

What say you CZ owners?
Re: Value of 10.5" coil on CZ-3D?
December 01, 2011 05:25AM
I use the 8 inch coil on my CZ's about 90% of the time...and that includes beach hunting. It is just easier to swing and I can get the coil into the hole I dig with one scoop without having to widen it.

I have the 10.5 and the Sunray 12 inch coil, and I STILL use the 8 inch coil the most. The bigger coils do make the unit, especially in the stock configuration, a bit heavier and tougher to swing.

Even sold my CZ20 with the 10.5 to get one with the 8 inch coil. But that is my preference and others can/will see things differently.
December 01, 2011 11:15AM
Therover said it all. The 10.5 " does throw it off but it's a bit deeper than the 8". Hip mount is the way to go and switching arms will let you last longer. Even when you hip mount it, it's still nose heavy.
December 01, 2011 01:45PM
Same here, I use the 8" mostly and I also have the 10.5 and SunRay. The only time I use the bigger coils is in the wide open fields.
December 01, 2011 01:45PM
Biggest plus is your coverage in large fields or beaches. Expect more depth and does pinpoint well for its size but have to agree probably have to hipmount as its a tad heavy compared to the stock 8 inch. Monetary value depends on condition and varies and stay away from a white one as its the older variety...
December 01, 2011 10:00PM
You guys hunting with the 10.5 coil claiming added depth ......How much additional depth are we talking ? .......Just curious .......I've always heard the extra depth situation , but have never heard anyone speak of how much extra depth and I have passed on quite a few CZ20's and 21's simiply because they came with the 8 inch coil because of these reports ....Thanks Jim
December 01, 2011 11:37PM
Synthnut, in my test garden, the 8" coil will hit a measured 10" deep clad quarter with a high tone, mostly repeatable, but won't pinpoint it. The 10.5" coil will hit it easily, high tone and repeatable and will barley PP it.
So, from that I'm going to guess and I know guesses aren't good enough, but I would say the 10" is probably only an 1.5 maybe 2 inches deeper. I don't have any coins burried deeper than 10", sorry bud.
Oh, Thats with a 1021 cz3d.
December 02, 2011 12:56AM
I use the 10.5" as my primary coil. It's deep. If you relic hunt this is the coil to use.
December 03, 2011 04:18AM
Again coverage is the main reason for using one....Depth probably an inch or two..
December 03, 2011 07:54PM
I don't have a 3-D but I do have a CZ-70 and the 10.5 coil gets 2 inches over the 8" coil on a silver dime, its the coil that I use all the time, you can make some amazing finds over the 8" coil like a solid thick rust incrusted dime with only the silver rim exposed on the bottom, the coil signal wraps around the dime and was able to pick up a high tone from under the dime, I did this twice this summer and recovered targets that 3 other detectors would not a signal from, even after it was out of the ground they all read it as iron.HH
December 17, 2011 12:45AM
In neutral soil..... the 10.5" coil is nearly 1.5" deeper on a clad dime ... vs ... the 8" coil.
December 17, 2011 02:23AM
In reallity could be the difference of a good find but lets face it the plus is the coverage and the minus is the weight.
December 17, 2011 03:51AM
I have been swinging the 10.5 on my 3d for 3-4 months a little heavy and awkward at first,now it seems normal.I Swing mostly on grass,let the ground take the weight, like Tom said in his video get that coil on the ground! When my right arm gets tired i sometimes swing with my left(takes practice) and i say come-on lefty, it has'nt worked yet, but one of these days! rr7