Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wireless Headphone Hookup for the AT Pro

Posted by mcgov51 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wireless Headphone Hookup for the AT Pro
January 16, 2012 05:32AM
Hello everyone ! I am very glad to be here because this is the place from all that I have read.
The honesty, goodwill, help and undeniable expert knowledge is here! Like no other site.
l certainly have done a lot of reading about MT'g this past 4 weeks (easily 60 hrs. worth).

At 60, I am new to the hobby. I will soon have an AT Pro with the 8x11.5 Pro DD and the 5x8 Pro DD
on the way in two more days when a fresh shpmt comes into the CA. dealer I have decided to buy from.
For the money, I think I have picked the right detector for me? And believe me I have looked at them all.

I live in Maryland just below the PA. Line and I know I am really going to enjoy this sport.

There's a lot of historic ground, streams, rivers, creeks, parks, quarry's, preserves etc. In fact, more than
I ever paid attention to, in this area.

Just hope I can find enough places to hunt without being harrassed. I believe our soil to be low - moderate
as far as minerialization . . . so the AT should do well.

There are places in my county (Harford) and other nearby counties (Cecil) that were established in the early 1600's.
I would love to find a Union or Confederate piece of history, even a button. An early coin is beyond any of my dreams
but it is possible. I am going to try. I am a man with a machine and a plan. Will keep you posted!
THANKS TO ALL.
P.S.
***I don't see were anyone has solved the wireless headphone riddle with the AT Pro yet but I will order the 1/4" plug
adapter anyway. Has anyone attempted to rig anything up i.e. FM Tx or Bluetooth Tx linked to a wireless set of
headphones that did not suffer from prolonged signal delay?

There was someting about the impedance limitations (<10,000) of aftermarket headphones if you just plug a normal wired
set in? So that means the FM or BT TX will need to be <10,000 if you go wireless.
Otherwise,the external speaker will stay on and not switch over to the headphones?

Side-note - You can do a nice backlight-blue pad on any display easily and cheap enough ($5) but in regards to a AT Pro
who wants to break the seal on a new waterproof unit and void the warranty for that?

Anybody wants to know just post me a note. I did one on my RC - Plane Tx about 3 months ago.

THANKS / Happy Hunting
Jim McGovern
Forest Hill, MD
Re: Wireless Headphone Hookup for the AT Pro
January 16, 2012 10:47AM
Welcome to the Forum.
I would like to correct you regarding 'all LCD's can easily be backlit'. This is absolutely not true. Displays that are DESIGNED to be backlit are sometimes used without, and thus adding the feature afterwards is possible. But a great many (simpler/cheaper ones) are only intended to be front-lit, and adding a proper backlight is near-impossible.
The internal speaker is disconnected by the mechanical action of plugging in the phones. Just plugging in a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter will acheive this.
Not all 2.4 GHz cordless headphones are bluetooth. A set that seem to get a lot of mention are the Tecknet Rapoo set. They are not rugged, being designed for use with mp3 players, etc, but they are cheap, around 30 US dollars. Another commercial system intended for MD use is the Highland Innovations set (from Scotland), which are FM, using a frequency in the 840 MHz region (intended for cordless microphones),which have no delay.
There is a thread on here from 3 months ago going into the impedance problem. Some people have had success directly plugging in transmitters, others seem more problematic.
January 16, 2012 12:27PM
Welcome to the forum Jim.
I'm not sure if you understand the headphone jack on the ATPro. This is a very unique jack (not 1/4") which is new to any other kind of metaldetector jack Ive ever seen. Both headphone and coil jacks are the same which are waterproof. You would need to modify the factory headphone jack somehow and then it wouldnt be waterproof anymore.
The factory headphones that come w the ATPro are not that good but they work. Garrett also sells water proof headphones which Im probably going to get next spring and I think Garrett sell a adapter (not waterproof) so you can you can use different headphones. You probably should give Garrett a call to make sure.
January 16, 2012 02:36PM
Welcome. Yes, it is inevitable that you will find plenty of items of historical significance........... with research and persistence. It may start out slow..... then...... once you catch on....... you are in for some significant surprises.
January 17, 2012 02:20AM
Aaron - yes I understand that connection to be a unique type connection made in a proprietary design for Garrett.
You can't even buy these from Garrett.

What I was referring to was. . . for dry land use you can go with their adapter PN: 1626000 which converts that
connection to a 1/4" normal female . . . then try your favorite wired headphones and hope they work because some
don't.

Or ??? . . . also for dry land use. . . a wireless Tx for connecting to a wireless headphone set.
Or ??? . . . also for dry land use. . . a bluetooth Tx to connect to a Bluetooth headphone set.
Apparently neither of these have been worked out via DIY for the AT Pro . . . unless you want to do surgery.

I do not.

For wet use, you must . . . go back to using their original connection, there's no way around this . . .
It's the only waterproof safe way to connect. Wireless underwater . . . forget about it.

Not proposing any kind of socket mod. of the original socket design.

Just wanting to go wireless, with good volume and clarity for dry land use.