Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My expierence with the new Minelab repair center thumbs down

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My expierence with the new Minelab repair center thumbs down
October 06, 2017 07:12PM
I couldn't be happier with the way my repair was handled by Minelab and the new repair center smileys with beer I shipped it out Tuesday Sept. 26th, they got it Thursday the 28th, I received a text that evening informing me that they had the detector and it was on the bench the same day. Friday I got an e-mail from Minelab telling me the CTX had arrived at the repair center and they would keep me informed about the progress. Got a text from the repair center on Tuesday Oct. 3rd telling me my CTX was done and would be shipping out the same day. Later in the day I got 2 e-mails from Minelab, one stating my CTX was done and the other was my tracking number. I got it today and all is well. Kudo's to Minelab, hopefully this is the rule and not an exception to the repair woes in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 07:18PM by Dan(NM).
Re: My expierence with the new Minelab repair center thumbs down
October 06, 2017 07:34PM
Nice job Minelab.
October 06, 2017 09:30PM
Similar story for me...

One of my Explorer SE Pros went on the fritz last Saturday -- it showed an "overload," and was giving the overload tone like you get when detecting a large shallow metal item.  But it was stuck in that "overload," it would not quit.  I tried a million things (factory reset, disconnecting the coil, removing the battery and using a new one, etc.) but to no avail.  So I emailed Minelab at service@minelabamericas.com, and early Monday morning I had an RMA number and an address to mail it to -- "Detector Center" in Alum Bank, PA.

So, I FedEx'd my machine Monday, and they received it yesterday; FedEx tracking showed it dropped off at 11:21 AM Thursday AM. At 12:07 PM EDT, I got a text message from Detector Center saying that they had my machine, gave me a ticket number, and said I would get updates "as they happen." I also received an email at 12:07 PM EDT. In this email, they outlined/summarized what I had written in the letter as being the problem I was having with the machine (to let me know that they understand the problem -- the "overload" I described -- that they were looking to troubleshoot). They said they would provide me an update as soon as they had diagnosed the issue, and to contact them if I had any questions.

A short while later, I sent them an email, asking them to call me because I had something I wanted to mention to the repair tech. They called me within 45 minutes of me sending the email, with the machine already taken apart and in the hands of a Minelab technician on the bench; they said they'd let me know when they had diagnosed the problem.

At 2:05 PM EDT, got another call from Detector Center. The detector was finished/repaired. Wow! They said they would be shipping it back out yesterday afternoon via FedEx. Just over 2 1/2 hours from the time FedEx dropped off the machine, until the repair was completed? And back in the mail to FedEx on the same day it was received? I am impressed.

Problem was with one of the coil wires inside the control box housing; it was rubbing on something on the PCB, either a small soldered-on component, or else a "sharp edge" of the solder joint itself. It rubbed all the way through the outer insulation of the wire, to the conductor itself. In any case, they fixed the wire issue and bench tested -- no more overload signal, all is working properly. They charged me only a labor charge ($37.50), plus return shipping cost -- total out of my pocket (a non-warranty repair), $60.

Very, very impressive.

Kudos, Minelab!

Steve
October 06, 2017 10:03PM
That's surely a couple of excellent reports on the new repair facility.-----They are getting started off on the right foot---that's for certain.
October 07, 2017 01:29AM
Sod-buster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice job Minelab.

2x

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Sounds like Minelab is going to get er done right
October 07, 2017 01:39AM
New products an good service