Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab GPX video of sounds

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab GPX video of sounds
March 01, 2012 04:16PM
There has been quite a bit of interest in these machines on the forum, and I decided I'd put this together exclusively for you guys. This is back when I had the machine and done some videoing with it here and there. This will give you an idea of what they sound like and what they are capable of anyway...I don't have much video in the field with the machine as I didn't get to keep it long. But it left me with enough to know there's nothing I've ever used that can even hold a candle to it.

One of the hunt clips is up in Culpeper, VA on a relic hunt. I like this one because it shows me put the shovel down in the hole to show how deep the bullet was...and by being able to go back and measure to the crook in the shovel handle, I know exactly how deep that bullet was. From the tip of my shovel to the crook in the handle is exactly 15 inches...so you get to hear a minie ball in the Culpeper, VA red dirt at 15 inches and hear how clear and solid it is....then see it dug up. On day two of that hunt I was in a plowed corn field digging drop .69 caliber minie balls at 18-22 inches deep but didn't really video any of those.

I personally don't think it is that complex to use....everything I do in the videos is with the factory preset settings...except for the first part when I'm in my test garden showing the response on things with the lowest gain setting. No folks, that is no lying about how far I'm holding the coil above the ground....you can't see it good from my POV angle of filming but trust me...this thing is very well capable of coin size objects in Normal timings and factory presets, down to 18 inches at least...with the stock 11" DD coil.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Minelab GPX video of sounds
March 01, 2012 05:44PM
Only 1 question...why dont you have it anymore!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
March 01, 2012 05:54PM
This is great, thanks much Daniel. I really appreciate your info and efforts...puts some interesting thoughts in my mind to ponder, over time. I certainly don't have a few grand to spend on a detector a this time, at least given the fact that -- I THINK -- most coins are shallower than 12" in my neck of the woods, and thus are at least possible to detect with most VLF machines (albeit with "skewed" ID in most cases, at that depth). Given that, the "cost benefit" analysis does not justify it, for me, at this time, in my area (unless I'm, somehow, WAY wrong about coin depths here).

Having said that though...this is certainly intriguing to think about for some hunt scenarios. For example -- NASA-Tom, that old store you hunted, and wrote up in the "Fisher Intelligence" booklet, where you were hitting those 16" deep coins...you talked about how much you would love to be able to "bobcat-off" 12" or so of topsoil over that site, and really open up the opportunity at those deeper coins. I'd think the GPX would give you the ability to pull some of those deep coins, without having to undergo site-wide excavation... smiling smiley

Steve
March 01, 2012 11:01PM
Steveg, reguarding coin depths, a couple years ago I retrieved 2 coins over 18" deep chasing a button trail. Hope I'm remembering correctly,,,,, digging 6" after a signal, pulling out a old flat button, put small coil back in the hole another signal and another button. The hole is getting deeper and deeper and shaped like a upsidedown mushroom. Long story short, I pulled out of that hole a Bahamma Copper and a beautiful Half Cent both early 1800's. I may have pulled another coin from the same hole or it may have been a hole next to it, can't remember, but either way, it was a good day.
I'd like to give the GPX a try in this field...there are some deepies there.
March 01, 2012 11:04PM
I sold it for personal reasons. My wife had to have some medical tests ran and my insurance through work STINKS, and left us with around $5k worth of out of pocket bills to pay. So I made a decision on which was more important....a $5k toy or paying bills, and thus the GPX had to go. Just not been able to get another one.
March 02, 2012 02:08AM
The best decisions are usually the hardest to make.
You were probably using the GPX for relic hunting only right?
Hope you can get another one.