Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ATPro great small gold finder.......(?)

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ATPro great small gold finder.......(?)
March 03, 2012 02:12PM
Ive had the ATPro since last fall, works great in the water and I've used it in the dirt and found it to work great there too, I will be using it mainly for water.
I have the smaller 5x8 coil for it too and last night was curious as to how sensitive it was and was really impressed at how well it air tested ,at least 10" on a dime. However, what really shocked me was how well it does on very small gold. I have some very small hollow 14k earrings, a 1/2" peice of rope chain ect. The ATPro hits all of them while the Excalibur II (locked salt mode) can't even touch. I was curious and got out the Tiger Shark which was my only machine that would come close to responding to that stuff. I couldn't believe it but the ATPro still did better than the Tiger Shark.
I then poped the big stock coil back on the ATPro and now the stock not only doesn't air test any better, it hardly responds to the small gold! I'm going to give Garrett a call on Monday and see what they say.
In conclusion I would like to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with the ATPro, I don't know of any other VLF water machine that can do that well with low conductors.

Anyone wanna buy a Excalibur II?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 02:13PM by Aaron.
Re: ATPro great small gold finder.......(?)
March 03, 2012 02:27PM
Did you ground balance first to salt water conditions? That might be why it showed to do so good. I think you have to GB down around 10 or so to equal salt beach detecting. If I'm wrong, maybe someone with more knowledge will join in.

I'm still looking at an AT Pro thou. Maybe someone will get tired of theirs and swap me out of my F5 and some change for it.
March 03, 2012 02:41PM
???
Not sure what your asking? This was simply air testing, their was no salt water mentioned, fresh water is all I would recommend the ATPro for.
March 03, 2012 02:45PM
Connor is correct.

Aaron, , , Even in an air-test............... try different Grnd Bal settings........... and see what happens to small gold! I did write about this in the AT Pro thread.

Just remember............ when you Grnd Bal to real dirt.......... that is the Grnd Bal number you should be utilizing to perform 'small gold' testing.

Try the stock coil.......... and at different Grnd Bal settings.............. and see what happens.

Good (but sometimes painful) learning tool.
March 03, 2012 02:54PM
Ok, well how do I grd balance to salt water conditions without saltwater and what difference does it make anyway when I'm only using it in fresh water?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 03:07PM by Aaron.
March 03, 2012 04:30PM
You can manually change the Ground Balance settings without having to bob/pump the coil to dirt. Just try different Grnd Bal settings with small gold items. It'll open your eyes!!!!!
March 03, 2012 04:57PM
Ok thanks!
aaron, how did this work out?
March 08, 2012 01:20PM
What is the final conclusion on these tests?
March 08, 2012 04:48PM
Using many Garrett models over the years but not the AT pro Garretts in my mind have only been second to perhaps Tesoro's rel liking gold jewelry and judging from some of the tests they may have caught up.
March 09, 2012 01:04AM
I remember that post Tom. I'll have to look that one up.
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Connor is correct.
>
> Aaron, , , Even in an air-test............... try
> different Grnd Bal settings........... and see
> what happens to small gold! I did write about
> this in the AT Pro thread.
>
> Just remember............ when you Grnd Bal to
> real dirt.......... that is the Grnd Bal number
> you should be utilizing to perform 'small gold'
> testing.
>
> Try the stock coil.......... and at different Grnd
> Bal settings.............. and see what happens.
>
> Good (but sometimes painful) learning tool.
March 09, 2012 09:37PM
If you want to check a detector with small gold, try a MXT and see how small it will pick up.