Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some info to share Deus round HF coil vs 9"LF coil (New Deus users some good info here)

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Some folks may be interested in either of these 2 coils, or both actually.

How do they compare?
As far as relic hunting and yes coin hunting.

Today I did some careful testing and thought I would share with folks here.

I don't have gobs of time yet on round HF coil like I do the smaller HF elliptical.

Anyway with the HF coil being deemed high frequency some folks when they see or hear about this round coil may be thinking hunting gold nuggets only.

Well, to make a long story short here, the round HF coil based on my testing is the odds on favorite to sneak higher conductors out of iron and nails vs using LF coil.

The use of the lower freq band on the round HF coil centered btw at 14.4khz yields some awfully good results for such a big coil.
If folks thought the 9" LF coil was/is grand here for find coins in iron and nails, the HF coil here yields significant advantage.
Higher conductors can be had too using the middle band of frequency centered at 28.8 kHz, but it is my opinion based on testing if a Deus user hunting a site hard using 28.8khz and tried to find all higher conductive coins, I think the site could be hunted again using 14.4 kHz and the possibility of additional high conducive coins be had.

One very noticeable thing with the round HF coil, Reactivty 4 yields a depth advantage (distance measurement between the planes (where coin and nail) for example lay vs 9" LF coil.
Many instances where use of Reactivty 4 on LF coil yield no signal on clad dime.
Also using round HF coil hunting in lots of iron, Reactivty 2.5 IMO yields poor results, better to use 3 or 4.

The thinking with original LF Deus coils were better unmasking to be had as highest freq approx 18khz, and this was/is still true.

Using 54khz (upper freq band) IMO based on testing, user looking for high conductors don't expect much detection on higher conductors as far as they existing beneath ferrous object plane.

Now I did do similar test with US nickel, and IMO strangely I think the differences (advantage noted) for round HF coil are less significant vs 9" LF coil. Still though a depth advantage using Reactivty level 4.

Now the testing above was done on a set of sterile concrete steps, with GB dialed on all testing to 84.

So these test don't really account for soil mineralization effects, but still I think these results do tell me some thing.
I sure wouldn't expect to see better results than I got if my test rigging was buried in say medium or higher level minerlized soil.

Now none of this above, it should be necessarily related to gold nugget performance.

A side note here.
Thus far using the round HF coil for me, in a couple sites pounded with Deus both 9 and 11" LF coils, not much has surfaced. I should point out these few sites have really never given up any high conductors like coins and all of my use of round HF coil has been using 28.8khz freq in these sites. After testing today I can understand the Why behind maybe why my nonferrous finds were lacking.

Just thought I would share.
Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 03:38PM by Sod-buster.
Re: Some info to share Deus round HF coil vs 9"LF coil
October 23, 2017 07:06AM
Many thanks .. I am hoping to get out with the HF 9 inch round soon.. Just a few health issues to get settled first

My drowned towns are calling me

Micheal
Re: Some info to share Deus round HF coil vs 9"LF coil
October 24, 2017 03:36PM
New info here on comparing coils.
[www.detectorprospector.com]