Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

broken 10k

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
broken 10k
April 21, 2012 02:00AM
Had a wonder hunt

Hit the tot lots with my 6" coil and found some nice stuff and a 10k gold ring.
Ring was 3" deep and read 11-02. Sounded a little iffy, but dug anyway.
After I dug the ring it would not register unless it was scrubbing my coil. Memory recalled a time years ago when the same thing happened. The ring was broken and as long as there is an air gap the machine could hardly see it, but mashing the ring together gave a good solid signal. I'm a firm believer that if the ground was not soaked I'd never heard the ring.

[www.findmall.com]
Re: broken 10k
April 21, 2012 02:45AM
congrats!
April 21, 2012 02:49AM
nice job, nice find!

I found a broken 10K ring in January also...but mine rang in more like a zinc...

Steve
April 21, 2012 02:50AM
Nice Find! HH
April 21, 2012 04:56AM
Nice save
April 21, 2012 10:11AM
Last year I found a 10kt antique ring w a broken solder joint w the 75SE I swear it was a pulltab signal however after it was dug it reads foil, unless you squeeze it together making it the full circle then it reads pulltab. I call it my miracle find.

Congrats on the sweet BLING!
April 21, 2012 12:55PM
With a broken ring the circuit is not completed thus a chattery signal or none at all...imagine the wet ground completed the circuit and indeed resulted in a nice find...
Update
April 23, 2012 12:06AM
Tried my AT Pro and it could see the open end ring up to 2" from the coil. Maybe I should be using the AT Pro for tot lot gold hunting.
Re: Update
April 23, 2012 05:52PM
The higher frequency units are less affected by the breaks. I say less affected because they at least will still see them. Xterra 70 with a the high freq coil, the Goldbugs, the ATpro/gold will all see the open earrings and broken rings at a least a couple of inches where the lower freq units will not. That was another reason I picked the AT Pro as a cleanup unit. I'm finding the 15 kHz to be a nice frequency for me.
HH
Mike
April 24, 2012 10:19PM
Thank goodness for damp ground!