Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some objective testing results

Posted by Johnnyanglo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Some objective testing results
May 24, 2012 02:15AM
sure you've all seen these results, but anyway ....

Depth test from Belgium [www.metalldetektortest.de]

In ground targets:
1. Roman follis - large bronze coin 1.4 grams/10mm
2. Roman follis - larger bronze coin 2.2 grams/15mm
3. Silver coin 2.5 grams/18mm
4. Coin 3 grams/13x13mm (antoninianus?)
5. Roman Brooch 45mm (no needle)
6. Roman Brooch 45mm (with needle)
7. Large Brass 18x30mm

....GoldbugDP......Blisstool LTCX64V2...Rutus Jupiter....F75LTD.....XP Deus........Minelab
........DD coil...............................................DD Coil........Tornado......STD coil.......GP 3500
1) .....14.........................14...........................10...................13..............12..................18
2)......18.........................16...........................13...................19..............14..................21
3)......18.........................18...........................16...................17..............17..................21
4)......18.........................18...........................15...................19..............16..................22
5)......12..........................0..............................9.....................0..............14..................19
6)......16.........................10...........................10.....................8..............12..................15
7)......22.........................22...........................19...................22..............20..................30
Depth in cm.

Take away: On these targets in Belgium soil, the F75LTD is about equivalent to the Blisstool and in most regards deeper than the Deus. The Goldbug trounced them all with the exception of the 3500. The Goldbug and XP Goldmaxx were two of the few detectors to locate all 23 buried targets in the separate depth test. The F75LTD almost got them all, slightly better than the Blisstool 64XV2. Would have liked to see the T2/Omega and AT Pro/Gold tested too.

If all I had was these test results I'd be leaning toward the Goldmaxx Power ($1027), F75SE ($1100), Gold Bug 2 ($770) or maybe the XP Deus ($1899). Unless someone knows a reason to shy away from these three?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 03:18AM by Johnnyanglo.
Re: Some objective testing results
May 24, 2012 02:55AM
No Goldbug???

What's behind the "0" data points?
May 24, 2012 02:55AM
Interesting.

Johnny -- just curious...you said "the Gold Bug trounced them all," but then said...

If all I had was these test results I'd be leaning toward the Goldmaxx Power ($1027), F75SE ($1100), or maybe the XP Deus ($1899). Unless someone knows a reason to shy away from these three?

All three of those are obviously good detectors, as has been discussed often. I was just wondering why, at $600, the Gold Bug DP would not be considered, too -- just based on the test results...

Steve
May 24, 2012 03:22AM
Added the Gold Bug 2 in, an oversight.

The GB2 at 71 kHz appears to have depth to spare, despite the otherwise high op freq. Realize it is meant for nuggets, but wonder how'd it do for relics, coins, and rings?
May 24, 2012 03:22AM
Not a very good report..or maybe some things were lost in translation?

What's a f75 with a tornado coil?
What freq were used on the DEUS?
What size coil was on the 3500?
What size was the coil on the Blisstool?
What setting's were used on each machine?

I guess the needle on the brooch refer's to if the pin was still there or not?
if it's the iron pin does that mean some machines cant see the brooch of the pin is present I see some zero's on that test...I am sure an f75 could see a brooch with a pin if this is the test yet it says zero??

Strange ..Too many unknown's to quantify end result's..

Thanks for posting

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 03:23AM by Keith Southern.
May 24, 2012 03:51AM
NEL Tornado: [www.ebay.com]

The NEL Tornado is apparently made in the Ukraine for the F75 and other detectors. Don't know the size used in the test - the one above is 12x13". The Deus (I assume) being listed on the site as the "standard" coil is the 9" round (not the 13x11" DD). They didn't state the Deus frequency used. The Belgium didn't provide much details and the info is not in english.

0 data points (I interpret) to mean the detector (in the test) did not give a good repeatable signal, so it was a no-go on the test object.

The brooch pin or "Fibel ohne nadel" might look like this: [www.roemische-muenzen.net]

Each detector was set to discriminate out an iron nail then run through the test bed quickly. You can get an idea of the testing system they used here: [www.metalldetektortest.de]
May 24, 2012 11:29AM
I really dont like detector comparisons.... there are just so many unknowns especially if you are considering a purchase for your style of hunting and location. No one is ever happy with the results, settings, or skill level of the individual. The results does show no one machine will do it all, but that all of these machine have great potential. Hey weres the ET?

Dew
May 24, 2012 12:49PM
Johnny........... you talk about the Gold Bug-2 (a 71-Khz platform) ........... and you talk about the GoldMaxx Power (GMP); yet, I do not see those units in this head-to-head chart.

The data provided is very interesting; yet, is exceptionally UNscientific. I have no idea what was afforded to control/mitigate the 'variables'.
May 24, 2012 01:00PM
Tests perhaps give us ballpark at best considering they are not even done in U.S.A. let alone your home State. Dial in a lot of variables and ???....

My suggestion a competent dealer detectorist or perhaps a detetecting club will give you an idea what works best in your area.

Finally depth is only one variable a unit should be judged on so visiting a multi line dealer and trying them on for size is also suggested.

No offense against original poster and thanks for sharing as we can never learn enough in this hobby.
May 24, 2012 09:01PM
I'm confused too. Gold Bug DP------------Gold Bug 2....?
May 25, 2012 02:39AM
OK too hasty... not Gold Bug 2 but DP (19kHz). Totally different.

The GMP was not tested in the INGO depth testing, but it was tested against 23 buried targets and this is where it reported each one. [www.metalldetektortest.de]
Thus, impressed by XP in general.

I don't think these testers were trying to be scientific, or could even spell scientific.

As someone said, it gives a general overview of the detectors involved. For instance, the Garrett GTI and Ace couldn't give a clear positive signal on any target - not one. Assuming there was some effort to adjust the detector so it was working at least to nominal levels, it doesn't bode well for these detectors. I would not only rest on these tests - but they are not entirely worthless. Consider the x1500 results in another test at: [jimyce.home.netcom.com]
Not particularly stellar results either.Comparing the GTI further at: [www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk] and [www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk]
About the same results. A pattern emerges.
May not be entirely perfect or a double-blind cross-over latitudinal study, but it gives some hints and a few warnings. Sure, depth isn't everything ... but it is something.

Yet, as originally posted, the F75LTD and GB DP did very well - with the exception of the LTD not responding to a piece of lead buried at 19CM - purhaps disc'd out, don't really know. Same deal with the Brooch that didn't respond (zero), perhaps another disc'd out target seen as iron or low conductor (discrminate was set to reject iron nails).
May 25, 2012 10:02AM
Several things that dont seem to add up. The Garretts missing almost all of the targets.

The Gold Bug and the F75 , have both and cant see F75 not hanging with GB
May 25, 2012 01:57PM
I have a Jupiter and it doesn't look deep so far. But, an F75LTD is only 2 or 3 cm deeper with a Tornado coil? If that is true then the Jupiter is much deeper than I imagined. It air tests no deeper than 9" or 10".