Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

why not concentric 5in coil

Posted by charlives 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
why not concentric 5in coil
August 11, 2012 06:58PM
Anyone know what the imprint of the DD 5in T2 coil looks like? Is it a thin 5in line? Wouldn't a concentric coil be more precise? Is the DD 5in just half of the length of the stock? I understand that the DD may give more depth but I only need 4 or 5in around the cellar hole lip. It seems a 5 in concentric would be the most precise. Any thoughts, Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 06:59PM by charlives.
Re: why not concentric 5in coil
August 11, 2012 07:33PM
A 5" concentric footprint is round/cone shaped.
A 5" round DD coil footprint is a oval wedge.
A 5" elliptical DD coil footprint is a tighter wedge. The more elliptical/narrow the coil........ the tighter the footprint.
August 13, 2012 08:08PM
Hey Tom, was it you that said you'd like to see (what was it?) a 2" by like 5" DD coil? After thinking about that for a while I'd like to see something like that myself. It would be the ultimate for working heavy trash. Far as small trash coils, I prefer a round one in the smallest size I can get for heavy trash, as depth is secondary to me in a heavy trash area I'd want to use a trash coil at. I know many like the 8x6 SEF but for a trash coil I want a round 5 or 6" to max out separation length wise. Now, in a larger coil, for sure I love the SEF 12x10 where the length and depth is an attempt to increase depth while also increasing left/right separation. Fantastic coil in those two respects. But that 2x5 (?) inch thing I think it was you talking about before...Now that could be something I'd like to use. Because the length is still well under the size of your typical round DD coil, and yet the width *might* increase left/right separation even more, or at least make it more "effortless" without as much coil work to pull the signal out.
August 14, 2012 02:12AM
Yes.......... but I'm uncertain if much depth could be retained with such a small elliptical DD coil.
August 14, 2012 01:50PM
Depth is of way down the list secondary importance to me in a trash coil. Even if I could muster 4 or 5" max that would be all I need to work some silver out of heavy trash in many locations. That's why I prefer the smallest round DD coil I can find for max trash separation. I know people love the 8x6 but to me that's a trade of in separation length wise. I prefer the shape of an SEF for a large coil to increase depth but also improve separation, but when it comes to a tiny trash coil smallest round one is what I want as depth is not primary to me for that. On the other hand, a 4x2 or 5x2" coil would for sure be one I would want, because the length has been kept within the realm of a tiny round trash coil, but the width should help to compress the width of the DD line for easier left/right separation. I can say the 12x10 shocks me with how super sharp the DD line is for left/right separation ability.

One thing I have noticed is that a small DD coil seems to retain it's depth better than a concentric trash coil does. I've owned concentric trash coils in the 6 to 7" size range that got very little depth, while my 5.5" Sunray S-5 is getting me depths of concentrics in the 8 to 10" size range in my soil. Not only do DD coils seem to retain coin sized target sensitivity at greater sizes than concentrics, but it appears they also retain their depth better when a coil gets smaller than about 7" or so in size. Any opinion on that Tom?
August 14, 2012 07:22PM
Due to the DD configuration being a condensed footprint (subsequently reducing depth.... as compared to a concentric)....... less dirt is 'viewed/analyzed'....... subsequently; allowing for Sens/gain to be increased............ gaining back what was lost in depth.
August 15, 2012 03:21AM
critterhunter
I can say the 12x10 shocks me ...

Ahhh, yes... back to the 12x10 SEF. Jeez...
August 15, 2012 08:38AM
What's that word again (thinking...)? Oh yea, that's it. Enjoy...

Hypocrisy- a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess. The act of accusing others of what you have done yourself many times before.
August 15, 2012 01:50PM
I had the 5" elliptical for the 75se and it didn't compare to the DD in trash, just did not provide the separation that the DD does.
August 15, 2012 07:23PM
Aaron...... did you mean 6" elliptical concentric???