Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Heres a 5x8 DD AT-PRO hunt Yesterday and a find I am very happy with

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Heres a 5x8 DD AT-PRO hunt Yesterday and a find I am very happy with
August 18, 2012 01:15AM
Heres is a hunt I did yesterday in an awful iron hole of a site.....

I hunted it pretty hard already with some other machine's but I used the AT-PRO with 5x8 DD blunt tip Yesterday..and while the signals were not great they were enough to make me dig....I only dug about a dozen pieces fo iron also...so you can see from the percentage the AT with small coil is really doing some magic...

mostly low conductor's...a couple of High pieces but they still were ratty sounding and barely reading...the lantern top the big piece of brass was under a plow point...

The indian head sounded decent with a wiggle but still only a one way hit...

The low brass was just a blip in the iron growls....

Wish I would of video captured the hunt...but too dang hot to wear the cap...LOL!!

Now the piece that I really like is the piece I have the Micrometer on....It's a Confederate sharpshooter bullet that has been carved on...very hard to find very rare...and when carved even more rare...

Its called a Whitworth bullet and they are .45 caliber and right under 1.5 inches long...the rifles they came from were deadly at over 1,000 yard's..

A carved version is almost unheard ...

Also notice the Civil war period geometric desinged cuff button ...it's very small it was a good 5 inches deep in constant iron growl...

Here's some pic's...the 5x8 is the business on this machine...

Thanks Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 01:18AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Heres a 5x8 DD AT-PRO hunt Yesterday and a find I am very happy with
August 18, 2012 02:05AM
I always learn something about history when you post your finds. Very well done. And very interesting. 1000 yards is really out there. You are talking about a spec on the horizon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 02:08AM by goodmore.
August 18, 2012 03:32AM
Very nice finds there Keith!

That sharpshooter bullet is especially cool, I think I had read about that gun, wasnt it imported from England at $1000.00 apiece to the Confederacy? They had originally used them for sporting events over there I think....
August 18, 2012 08:48PM
Yes Aaron the Whitworth was quite pricey....

they were developed to replace the Enfields but were prone to fouling the barrel more than the enfield so they were not used for combat to often...

But they could hit a target up to 2,000 yard's...

The Confederates wanted them to give to the marksmen that traveled with the infantry unit's...Their main purpose was to eliminate Union Artillerymen..

And they were quite effective at it...

But some union high brass met a quick death at the hands of the Confederate sharpshooter also...

Whitworth bullet's are in a hexagonal and cylindrical shape...but they are all hexagonal after fired....

I have found a dropped cylidrical and a fired one ...not sure which it was before firing...this one is a hexagonal...and some bored Sharpshooter whittled on it...

Priceless artifact in terms of History...

Although a single whitworth will fetch over $300.00 dollars quite easily...I have seen them go for $500.00 when found in certain campaign's..Fired ones will bring around150..

Thanks Aaron..

And Thanks Goodmore for the comment..

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 10:25PM by Keith Southern.
August 18, 2012 09:49PM
Thanks for the history lessons as well as the detecting tips.

I'm not a relic guy but you do perk my interest as well as communicate very well, so who knows... winking smiley

Albert
August 19, 2012 12:12PM
Yes I love history. Years ago I found a grape shot, but didn't know what it was at the time. Years later I was examining some of my ? finds and learned what it was. Never could remember where I found it though.
I still wonder about where I was at that day.
That was the main reason I started keeping a log of where, what and day of my hunts.