Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1800s platinum alloy dental crown & bridge with partial human teeth?

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1800s platinum alloy dental crown & bridge with partial human teeth?
September 24, 2012 06:00PM
Used noise cancel #11, audio gain = 30 with the 18”x15” SEF coil, and the Pro coil. Sensitivity level varied depending on coil.

In the past 4 weeks, got in only 7 days at the beach. While checking the rocky area near the main beach, got a very low tone hit. Initially, it looked like a necklace piece. After rinsing the dirt off in the water, saw the 2 partial teeth. First guess was; early 20th century braces, which was wired/attached to someone’s 4 front teeth. I pictured an 100 year old decaying corpse somewhere out there in the water, whose braced front teeth finally detached from the rotting skull, and washed into the low tide zone. A gruesome picture.

After some cleaning (electrolysis to remove the dirt), and some online research, discovered that it’s actually an old dental crown-and-bridge work, used to replace the 4 front incisor teeth. The cuspids (canines) and bicuspids fit inside the 4 platinum alloyed caps (one bicuspid cap may have broken off during recovery).

After the electrolysis cleaning, decided to acid test the dental crown. Although the metal is dark gold to brownish in color, the streak was actually silverish. Used the whole battery of acid tests (10k, 14k, 18k, 22k, and platinum) on the bicuspid streak. Disbelieving this dark gold to brownish metal was platinum, I rubbed down about 1/4mm on the corner of the bicuspid cap and platinum acid tested the streak. The worn down area was still dark gold, the streak was still silverish, and was unaffected by the platinum acid. But the weight changed from 3.84g to 3.80g, due to wearing down a 1/4mm of metal, not too smart. Then put a few drops of 22k acid inside the bicuspid cap, and hoped it would dissolve the discoloration, but no effect. It appears the platinum was intentionally alloyed for color change, like white gold (which has a gold streak instead of white), and dark brown gold (which also has a gold streak).

More online research revealed that in the mid to late 1800s, platinum was very inexpensive, was used in dental alloys, and was alloyed for color change. Porcelain, and even bone was “pinned” or fused into the metal work to look like teeth. This dental plate appears to be constructed of platinum alloy caps for the cuspids and bicuspids, which are soldered together, attached to a platinum wire frame, with some other material for filler around the wire frame made to resemble the gums (alveolar border) bordering teeth.

Thanks to online research, the thought of recovering a dental bridge from a 100 year old decaying copse has finally subsided.

I’m optimistically dating the bridgework to the mid-to-late 1800s, and hoping someone out there in “forum land”, familiar with the history of dentistry has information which can more accurately date this very odd find.

Air tested using:
Procoil auto-sensitivity = 16

Karat         grams depth  FE-CO  max depth  description
Plat alloy     3.80  2”    14-01    3”       4 front teeth dental bridge

The above 3 photos are:
1) a bottom (inside mouth) view
2) a front view
3) a top view

The above 4 photos are:
1) a bottom edge view facing the outside of the mouth
2) a bottom edge view facing the inside of the mouth. On the far left, at the bottom left of the bicuspid, you can barely make out the “worn down/rubbed down” spot.
3) the solder where the missing bicuspid cap was attached.
4) the solder point where the bicuspid cap is attached to the cuspid

[row 1, col 1-2] The reddish orange tint on the Mercury dime appears to be caused by rust. Enough iron must have rusted away to unmask the signal. The iron rust and dirt has severely embedded the front of the coin.

[row 1, col 3-4] After electrolysis, ultrasonic cleaning, tumbling, hydrogen peroxide, salt-vinegar solution, this is the results. The rust and dirt is thoroughly embedded on the coin.

[row 2, col 1-2] Hammering the coin using the blunt end of vise grips finally loosened the rust. Now electrolysis, along with a baking soda rubdown removed most of the embedded rust.

[row 2, col 3] Front and back of some type of jewelry. There are some type of tiny blue stones embedded in the jewelry.

[row 3, col 1-2] The large eagle (buckle?) has some type of bronze plating over some filler metal. The before and after cleaning photos.

A group photo of some of the other finds.
From left to right; a pewter shoe?, a moose pendant, a worn down bronze/brass ring with the stone missing, the jewelry piece with tiny blue stones, a bronze jewelry something, and the eagle buckle.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: 1800s platinum alloy dental crown & bridge with partial human teeth?
September 24, 2012 10:36PM
One never knows....one local hunting an old lake came up with what appears to be a stone age spear......one would think a dentist could give you an idea of what you have and how old or send you somewhere to find out the info...Personally I would have just reburied it but to each his own....
September 25, 2012 09:15AM
What interesting finds.
September 25, 2012 11:52AM
Some finds you really wish could tell you their story......

Some great finds there!
September 25, 2012 03:49PM
Nice partial...It does look early...I have seen partials/false teeth dug in Civil War camp's....So I know they can go back 150 years ..Not sure on yours but they look old...

They are still found today ...But they are called grills now lol!!!

Keith
September 25, 2012 05:26PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One never knows....one local hunting an old lake
> came up with what appears to be a stone age
> spear......one would think a dentist could give
> you an idea of what you have and how old or send
> you somewhere to find out the info...Personally I
> would have just reburied it but to each his
> own....

I was having second thoughts about keeping them also. But there is no sign of recently coming off of a (gross thought) decomposing corpse out at sea. If there was the slightest hint of such, they would be back at sea!!!

E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
September 25, 2012 07:31PM
Really interesting finds there, thanks sharing.
September 26, 2012 02:58PM
Mr. Digs certainly no reflection on you and have to admit it is an odd find but indeed clearly a snap in bridgework and not from a dead body just apparently lost snap in bridge work. Basically a coin and jewelry hunter and usually let the bullets and buttons and buckles etc. where I found them..Have a friend who has a 90's similiar snap in setup to fill in lost teeth and its not old so do visit someone with expertise as I wonder if its really old and they will be able to let you know...Apologize if my post inferred anything else and again an odd find and didn't wish to ruffle any feathers as imagine most of the fellows would have done the same as you. One never knows what the next dig will put in the pouch..and thatswhat drives us over the next hill.
September 26, 2012 06:24PM
That’s the reason for the forum, to share information, opinions, and techniques that may be helpful or informative to other detectorists.

I’m hoping someone out there can shed some light on the dental work. I took photos from different views to show its construction. The use of solder seems outdated, as does its construction.

Based on information from
[www.thefullwiki.org]
under “dental prosthesis”

Information in an 1885 book titled “The Principles and Practice of Dentistry”
[archive.org]

and other various online sources, it appears to be an early form of crown and dental work.

Anyone who has more information on the subject is always welcome.