Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lightweight headphone recommendations???

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lightweight headphone recommendations???
September 27, 2012 11:37PM
Can any body recommend a really good set of lightweight headphones for use during the hot summer months? I am inquiring about the lightweight open (not earmuff ) style with the 1/8" jack. Thanks.

Charles
Re: Lightweight headphone recommendations???
September 28, 2012 12:00AM
I don't like the earmuff style either when it's hot. I do love them when it's cold though. I bought my walkman style headphones with 1/8" jack at radio shack. I always try and keep an extra set in my bag in case I have a problem. I have even picked up a few good sets at junk stores and yard sales for a couple a bucks.
September 28, 2012 12:21AM
My wife bought me the Bose. Good sound,comfy,but ya gotta baby them,not rugged.
September 28, 2012 12:49PM
Yep when its cold love the earmuffs but especially this summer it was a burner and hunted with a fella that had ear buds and he seened to like them...I tried a smiliar pair from Walmart and tough to get used to for me anyway and indeed most I have seen or looked at were not rugged but usually inexpensive. I would personally take a trip to radio shack as they usually have a variety and indeed a lot cooler hunting with on those burner days....
September 28, 2012 03:49PM
My first pair of light weight phones were Radio shack and at 6+ years, they are still working, heavy cord and inline vol control, just wish I could get new ear pads. they are N/A. Last year when I decided to get a new set, I couldn't find any good light weight headphones so I went a different route and ended up with a GE headset I got at Office Depot(about $35), I unscrewed the the mic. and tossed it,they have a decent cord, inline vol, st/mono switch, sound is good.I didn't see the GE listed anymore, but they carry a headset from Microsoft, item #935805, I haven't ck'd them out in person, but they look like a decent set. If you buy online be sure they have a single cord(heavy as you can find), inline vol, st/mono sw, and the correct plug(most headsets have a USB plug. Get a single cord, the Y type cord gets tangled way too much.
September 28, 2012 03:52PM
earbuds in the summer and a hat over the earbuds in the winter!
September 28, 2012 04:00PM
For light weight, SunRay Pro Golds
Kinda pricy but fit really well audio is great
September 28, 2012 09:13PM
I would like to find a lite weight pair with a coiled cord ,don;t like the long straight cord
October 07, 2012 10:43PM
I'm using Sony V-150 studio headphones. About 1/3rd the size of regular detector headphones and VERY light and very comfortable. A fellow Sovereign user turned me on to them and I must say they've got the best audio I've ever heard of any headphones I've used for detectors over the years. I don't like to not be able to hear somewhat what is going on around me, so these smaller headphones also let in enough noise that I can keep tabs on my surroundings. But don't get me wrong, it's still not loud enough to be a distraction, even when I'm wading in the water with waves. In the summer they don't make my ears sweat either. I've owned big bulk detector headphones and they would hurt my ears and were too hot. These stinking things were only $20 at Walmart. Not sure if Walmart still has them in their stores but you can find them online. There is also another updated version with I guess the same speakers but this one has a coiled cord and a few other added perks I guess. It's the MDR-V500DJ.

Only problem with the Sonys is no volume controls. Don't know if the upscaled model has them. Not a problem anyway as I just turn down the volume on my GT, but Minelab says full volume on the machine and then adjust it on your headphones for best depth that way. My tests don't show an increase in disc by turning volume on the GT all the way up, but for sure in pin point mode my tests show it'll get about 4" deeper than with it low, and will get 2" deeper than disc with full volume (at least in air tests, but I suspect PP is deeper in really bad ground where disc can't see nearly as deep as an air test shows...one beach already shows me that is true.)

You can always just plug an inline volume control into the Sonys if you want an external volume control, or wire up a simple limiter circuit using diodes to limit surface blasts. I keep meaning to build a limiter for mine but never get around to it.

I'm happy to hear the Sun Ray Pro Golds are light, because I plan to get those one day for my GT. They have volume controls and a limiter in them, so if there is any risk of less depth in disc with volume on the GT all the way down, even though my tests don't show that, at least I'd have the added confidence there is no risk, and as said PP mode for sure shows more depth with volume at full than with it low. I hear the Son Rays have very good audio too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2012 10:45PM by critterhunter.