Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Real.... reale??

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Real.... reale??
November 04, 2012 01:59PM
Appears as thou someone lost their Reale and i found it. It appears to be a 1620ish coin possibly one of those from the Atocha reck sold by Mel Fisher Museum. It appears to have one of the necklace attachments much like those. I believe it a 1/2 reale weight is 1.68 grams and it did test silver. [www.treasurenet.com] Apparently mented in Rincoln and is a Potosi by the large P V S thru the pillars. The things people loose. What do you think Tom.... how close am i?

Dew
Re: Real.... reale??
November 04, 2012 05:46PM
That's a great find Dew, sure looks real. Funny how it was lost/found twice. You find it on the beach?
What's this on your T. Net thread about the Fisher museum melting some of those reales down? I never heard that..
November 04, 2012 07:16PM
Ive been told they restamped some of the Aaron. Yes it was a in the water find. I got a cut out there that basically split a large sand bar it was chest deep so id say a little over 4 ft of sand was taken out..... swift in there as the tide was coming up. I pulled, but never posted the 3 gold rings i got that day as well. It already closed in ..... couldnt believe how fast. Im pretty certain its real..... now how old is my question.

Dew
November 04, 2012 07:51PM
Dew how diificult was it working chest deep out there in the ocean?
Congrats on the yellow metal, awesome for one day!
Pics?
November 04, 2012 10:54PM
Here in the Gulf..... you dont have nearly the wave issue. You have to watch the tides and swell websites.... but its pretty easy hunting down here really.

Dew
November 04, 2012 11:34PM
Oh, okay that explains it. I thought you were on the ocean by Tom.
November 04, 2012 11:58PM
Here is a very similar replica coin: [www.ebay.com]

The attached loop is somewhat unique to the Mel Fisher product as most others have full silver surround mounts.
November 05, 2012 01:41AM
Im not seeing much info on Mel Fisher having 1/2 reales in his find..... but the loop does look simular. Looks like most of Mels coins were larger like the 8 reale. Im no expert ill have to see if i can find someone with a little knowledge around here locally about these coins.

Dew
November 05, 2012 02:14AM
Some of the investors took the silver bars and had reproductions made to get more money out the amount of silver they got. Saw quite a few for sale in shell shops in the Keys with a cert of authenticity with a Serial number, bar number and manifest number. The silver is over 365 yrs old but not a "real" reale. Some had gold bezels and some had loops attached. Not sure if thats what you have.
November 05, 2012 03:16AM
Neat find for sure Dew...

Not sure if it's real or not but it is neat ...

What does it read on an I.D. meter...?

Keith
November 05, 2012 12:29PM
Keith..... i checked it on the Explorer. It read 08-21 constantly. kind of like a large gold ring or 3 cent silver. Never had one under the coil so cant say its correct. The weight is about right so if its a repro..... they did an excellent job of getting it correct.

Dew
November 05, 2012 02:05PM
That's suppose to be silver? Whys it reading so low?
November 05, 2012 02:11PM
Take it to 3 coin dealers and go from there.....every town has at least one of them and should set you on the right tract..
In any case a nice find and lets hope its real......
Very small/thin silver coins/discs will read much lower than say a dime size coin....
November 05, 2012 10:11PM
My silver half dimes read 34-35 conductive on an E-Trac/CTX and silver 3 centers read near 26-30 depending on how worn they are. The more wear the lower the reading.
Re: Very small/thin silver coins/discs will read much lower than say a dime size coin....
November 05, 2012 10:54PM
Those half dimes are are a lot smaller than that reale though
November 05, 2012 11:29PM
I Still am not sure Dew...

It read's real low.

Not surer it's fake though...If I was making fakes I would choose a coin to copy with a better strike...And larger size ...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 11:33PM by Keith Southern.
November 06, 2012 12:05AM
Thats pretty close to where some of the IHs migh hit. Its pretty thin.... and i agree if i was going to reproduce one it would be something like an 8 reale. The half reale was suppost to be like our nickel i believe. Good advice Dan.... id think a coin dealer here in Fl would know. Nice to know but im going to throw it in a box with some of my other keepers.

Dew
November 07, 2012 12:43AM
I have a 1/2 reale, half dime and a 3 center and they all read low, not that much metal there, great find