Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tejon vs Deus

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tejon vs Deus
November 09, 2012 05:00PM
Keith, what advantages would you say the Tejon has over the Deus regarding relics and iron?

Im thinking the Tejon is deeper, and the 5" concentric coil must be a plus in iron.

Thank you
Re: Tejon vs Deus
November 09, 2012 07:04PM
Wow Aaron !!! Next time ask a Hard question...LOL!!

The Tejon is perfectly alligned on it's Freq of 17.6 I believe it is...

It is a bit more powerfull when the DEUS is at the same freq...

I think the Tejon is in the same league as the GMP...they are both 12 volt system anolog design...ther only advantage the GMP seems to have is a 2 tone adjustable break mode..and maybe just a hair better designed STOCK coil...

Alot of people who dont have a GMP use the Tejon when excellent result's..

But you asked about the DEUS and all thing's being the same The DEUS is a little faster than a tejon but a tejon is slightly deeper ...The tejon has a cleaner disc circuit also..not quite as bleedy as a DEUS or GMP...but unmask extremely well...it would come down to the user's skill level more than the machine's I believe on these 2...

The little 5.75 concentric will have an advantage with better disc abilities also in iron...

Have you airtested that small coil? Amazing is it not!..I think it might be deeper than the stock coil.the DEUS is amazing with the stuff it finds with the stock 9 inch...which is a great designed DD.. but I seriously dont think it can unmask as well as the 5.75 can in certain in ground target scenario's..

Thats one thing that I wish the XP's would do is design a small tight coil...the next level would ensue..

Keith
November 09, 2012 07:56PM
While we are on subject, Keith give us a rundown of detectors Like the Tejon with smallest coil for nasty iron infested areas.
Sort of rank with also, I think this would be interesting to many.
I hear the Deus can almost walk on water but if it can beat small coils on other machines in cellar holes, house foundations, it is really great.
Some of us though don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a detector.
November 09, 2012 08:28PM
Keith, I've haven't been out with it yet, however I'm taking it and the Deus back to the old homesite this weekend. I'm especially planning on going over all the heavy iron areas I hit with the Deus stock coil w the Tejon w 5" coil, should be interesting. I'm also gonn hit all the areas that arnt as iron infested w the big Tejon coil that I hit w the Deus /10x13" coil.
Thanks again!

Steve.....if they came out w a 5" Deus coil it just may walk on water!
November 09, 2012 08:41PM
Tejon may be beep and dig for the most part but usually the audio alerts you to the iron...Never used a Deus so no comment....
November 10, 2012 02:08AM
The main thing is to have a high gain machine Steve with a nice tight coil for working iron with good nail range resolution....
whats funny is not alot of machines fit the bill...YET!

Theres is the Tejon...Awesome in iron with a small coil..concentric 5.75 works the best for me anyway ..world class disc circuit....

There is a Shadow X-5 ,,But the nail disc accept/reject is awful close...once its set right if you find a spot suitable you better glue it there...But there in lies another problem ...if you change the G.B. the disc range moves slightly,,,19kHz loves brass button's...

G2 small coil tone break to your choosing....great machine, unmask's well needs a little more punch...maybe a BP mode is in order to push it into GMP territory...

T2/f75 loads of power ,small coil, 1 tone get's it done but the audio like that is not very conveying ... to me anyway...

705 with 18.75 small coil...works well not lightning fast but get's target's the newer version with holographic image on side of control housing separates better in iron than the older one's..you can't control the tone break so alot of -2-4's were good target's in bad dirt or co-located in iron but the newest has some sort of tweak to reduce this from sending good target's into the iron tone...

AT series work great with small DD 5x8...it's all in the audio on this one...will unmask very well ....a favorite in a digital design...

MXT is nice for iron work with the 4x6 DD but it is not quite as good as the newer models at unmasking....Yet still very good detector...a true workhorse...

I think you see what I like to work Iron with though,It is tight coils and Gain and good nail disc resolution......especially for small coin's and small buttons and items on edge in iron...The exception is the AT-Pro though it's not very high gain but the audio massages target's...also the At-Gold for a gold detector is really not pumped up that high but it works with the audio...but for small gold I think theres way better choices than an AT-GOLD but not waterproof choices...

I let a guy talk me out of my Compass 77b auto...100kHz....no depth to talk about but if the iron nails were of the exposed type look out....it would get stuff out of nails that no other machine can touch.the freq has a hard time seeing small nail's...very unique...BFO machine..no disc..just blind to small iron...hard to run in bad ground proper coil height is a must to keep from signaling...but it's got it's uses...built in the 1970's...

A compass Gold scanner pro 13.77 kHz with small 6 inch coil will work iron extremely well..awesome detector...Wish i still had mine...but the prices went so high on them I let mine go...Like a dummy...One of the machine's I regret letting go is the GSP from compass....

Also a worthy mention is a Vaquero/cibola...while the disc range really does not get low enough for super sleuth work sometime's it will unmask well with the small coil...

I want to try a Vista Gold with 5 inch coil....it's on 25kHz...

Theres an awful lot of good detector's being built or has been built Steve as you can see..but learning how to run them is the main thing...

I am not for sure now days if it's the freq as much as it is the hyper sensitivity..Its just high freq's allow for more hyper gain...I have an Omega on 7.8 Khz thats super hot but super smooth and stable and that allows it to hear small stuff that some higher freq machines struggle with...

I think Dave Johnson is on the right track...as they figure out how to get the noise out of machine's and allow them to be run at higher gains then we will see the benefit of being able to use lower freq's for coin affinity and ground punch while retaining hyper sens...

Lower freq's punch dirt better than Higher freq's..But higher freq's allow for more gain while remaining more stable than a low freq...

A simple DEUS test will illustrate this..set up the DEUS on 18Khz and get it running hot then change freq to 8kHz...it will not run right ...

But I think FT might be onto something with a low freq running like a High freq in alot of way's....

A stable hyper Gain 8Khz unit could very well be a milestone we dont expect....DD's dont like low freqs usually but not the case now days with FT is it..That could be a deep silver hunter's dream..Could it not...Or deep Minnie ball hunter or Belt buckle hunter.....I love lots of gain on a machine I never have bought into the low beams in the fog scenario...

Keith...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 07:04AM by Keith Southern.
November 10, 2012 03:12AM
Very interesting Keith, especially the info on the old compass machines, quite a following still on the compass forum that still swear by them in iron. It seems in some ways as far as detecting tech is concerned with guys still using those machines from the 70s, have we really come that far?
November 10, 2012 03:14AM
You probably remember some years back my post, WTB a Goldscanner, never did find one, at least at a price I was comfortable with.
Actually I liked the Xterra 70 with small DD in these type situations, it was better than several other detectors that I ended up selling.
Had to take it real slow with it though.
It could eke out a few finds on sites I went over the 5" on Explorer but in the process, I usually dug a lot more trash.
That is no problem as I realize these scenarios one must take more chances to be able to find anything.

G2 sounds good but it sounds like it would fizzle in mineralized ground, at least that would be my guess.

I do have a Compass 200 KHZ but minerals kill it here so it doesn't get any depth....sometimes it won't even get 1".
I wish it would go deeper since it would outdo anything on the market. If it could get 3" consistently, that would make it good.

Keith, do you still have a Tejon? Or was that one you sold the only one you had?

I would think the AT Pro w/5X8 would be too big in cellar holes and house foundations?
Can one sort of size up target with the AT-Pro?
November 10, 2012 03:37AM
The lower the conductors you search for, the more trash you end up with. Sometimes in the park I will set aside a x amount of time just to dig all the foil until I can no longer take it then dig all the tabs...that stuff is just never ending
November 10, 2012 07:00AM
My experence with the Tejon was not so good .5 inches was about as deep as it would detect a nickle in my dirt, I even took it back to the factory, they checked it out and I and was told by one of the owners that was all that I could expect in my dirt. It was even worse on a dime. I sold it and bought a Vaquero, a way better detector for my conditions (I still have it). I currently own a Deus and would not trade it for a dozen Tejons. JMO
November 10, 2012 10:53AM
Hobo, where do you live?
November 10, 2012 09:54PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hobo, where do you live?

I live in SW arizona and there is a lot of FE3O4 in the ground here and my Tejon could not handle it. That was five inches not .5 on a nickle
November 11, 2012 02:58AM
Hobo, sounds like you have some nasty ground. The DEUS is sweet isn't it?

Hey Keith, I took the Tejon on a old homesite, out in the country. I started w the 15" coil and the chatter was horrible, and couldn't take that very long so I put the 6" on and it ran great. I wouldn't think there would be any EMI out there the houses are so far away and the old home has nothing but electricity. Funny thing is when I got back home I put the 15" back on and brought it out in my front yard, power lines everywhere, wireless routers running ect. and it ran sensitivity wide open great w very little chatter! I guess you never know. I'm going back tomorrow again, only using the 6" anyway along w the DEUS.
November 13, 2012 07:11PM
Keith. I have a site (my good ol square nail campsite where alot of goodies have been found). But my Deus and AT Pro seem to lack the PUNcH necessary to get down to where more masked, or partially masked relics reside (probably). I have dug plugs there the entire depth of my predator shovel and found square nails and bits of red (orange) homemade brick throughout the entire depth field. I have been to the site with the Deus and AT Pro with small coil and I cannot coax up anything else. Just some occasional nail heads And sometimes entire square nails. I bet that if I could skim off the top 3 inches from the 15x15 ft site, it would open a whole new ballgame.
Reckon a Tejon with small concentric could see some stuff I missed??? Is it really THAT deep? I mean, I know that it is a single tone and all. But I just hate to call it quits on this site.
November 13, 2012 07:44PM
If theres that much iron Kevin, sounds like its time for you to buy a nice big magnet and commence to diggin!
November 13, 2012 08:28PM
Yes Aaron.....I am just waiting for the 'go ahead' from the owner. I think that it would be very enlightening. This site is not very big. I could focus on the area where I found most of the stuff and it would only be about 10 x 10 feet. How would I do it??? Loosen up a square with a roto-tiller, and then drag a magnet through it?
November 13, 2012 08:51PM
Kevin, find out what the landowner will allow you to do regarding a pit excavation. You want dig a pit around 3x5' and around 2' deep or till you stop finding iron. You want to get a EXTRA STRONG rare earth magnet and fasten it to the end of a stick. Remove the dirt in layers, throwing it on top next to the pit and put your Deus in all metal have your detector in one hand and magnet in the other. When you get a iron target place the magnet over it and watch those nasty ferrous varmits shoot out of the dirt, and the at the same time watch for the non fe good stuff. I personally learned all this from a really smart rocket scientist..

Lots of work and lots of fun and lots of calories will be burned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 08:53PM by Aaron.
magnet
November 13, 2012 09:55PM
Where might a person get such a powerful magnet, Aaron? That might come in handy on a beach.
Re: magnet
November 13, 2012 10:14PM
United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
www.unitednuclear.com/
November 14, 2012 12:01AM
A magnet source I've bought from a lot on the past. Everything from a few ounces pull to over 1000 lbs pull force. If you start playing with high power magnets be very careful. you can crush fingers, toes, or get them stuck to things you can't remove them from!!!

[www.magnet4less.com]
November 14, 2012 12:12AM
Or, your fingers between your heavy relic shovel and the super magnet.....(speaking from experience).

Have a nice heavy bath towel to wrap it up in if it's permanently to a stick when transporting. I JB Welded mine to my old hockey stick.
November 14, 2012 12:30AM
I wonder if a magnet of that strength could mess up any component of a metal detector?? Say, for instance, the Deus contol box sticking to it.
November 14, 2012 01:00AM
Any idea what the pull strength rating is on the magnet you're using? I've got a 90lb rated ring left over from a job but can easily pick up something stronger. I've got a strong magnet in my scoop, never thought of one for the dirt. It's a great idea considering some of the junk piles I've hunted!
November 14, 2012 01:51AM
Yes Aaron the large DD is alittle more suspect to get EMI ...but it usually is not too bad....the small coil never get's any...

The big coil is very sensitive for it's size and the diameter just amplifies the EMI..it's pretty good around broad band and 60 cylce but I have seen some strange things out away from civilization set it off as well as the stock coil but not often..

Keith
November 14, 2012 04:45AM
My super magnet I think, is rated at 700lbs pull. It's the biggest one on United Nuclear, it may be a little bit excessive but it sure does the job!

Yes Keith the 6" concentric works great and seems to be immune to EMI