Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Something to discuss

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Something to discuss
December 02, 2017 11:25PM
With all the high tech detectors we use today with all the different tones, ID numbers and such. When we get a hit are we looking for a reason to dig it or a reason not to. Crazy question ain't it?

Analog vs digital
The perfect answer from Johnnyanglo

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 11:59PM by Bill long.
Re: Something to discuss
December 02, 2017 11:48PM
I use beep and dig detectors like my Tesoros in the older sites I hunt using iron disc..., But when a whole bunch of low conductor trash present themselves... like empty .22 shell casings and can slaw get in the way I like to use a target ID machine. That way I can avoid digging up too much trash, so yeah I use TID machines when low conductor trash is prevalent and trending at a certain ID range. Your mileage may vary.
December 02, 2017 11:57PM
Guess could say both....but if had to choose a answer I would say the numbers or tone give me a clue to dig I guess...... it is like what came first the egg or chicken. Still catch 22 since gold/trash read identical for the most part. hh

oj/bc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 12:00AM by guvmore.
December 03, 2017 01:03AM
I do use a mixture of old and new technology and also some have screens,but i never ever make a dig/no dig decision on solely what a screen i.d tells me,audio is far more reliable at greater depth,one example is i have a Deus but for the most part the control box is either in my car or in my pocket when i am detecting as its used solely for just setting up and fine tweaking of the machine for the site that i am detecting that day.

On say a roman site i would use settings that i would not use on a pasture site,its handy being able too setup different tones but that in my mind is different from replying on a screen on making a dig decision,if the headphones give me a good audio signal but registers nothing on the screen like what a Deus and other machine can because the target is slightly deeper to trigger the screen it still has too come out and satisfy my curiosity as that way i wont miss decent targets.

Audio has and always will be far more reliable than what any screen can can provide,even then when the audio signal is on the limit like on a deep pasture site then threshold can still give you some indication that a 'possible' decent target is in the ground,its still has to come out,it could be rubbish but also it could be a very desirable deep gold hammered coin.I dont take that risk winking smiley
December 03, 2017 03:00AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all the high tech detectors we use today with
> all the different tones, ID numbers and such. When
> we get a hit are we looking for a reason to dig it
> or a reason not to. Crazy question ain't it?

Not a crazy question at all.

What is the correct answer?

There is no correct answer IMO.

Take a look around,

I have been reading post on various forums, where older or strange (items found don't match supposed site activty).

So detecting is really potluck

No absolutes, since we as detectorists never really know for sure who or what went on in any particualr site every single day.

Modern sites, or so thought of as modern sites can or may produce older finds.

Older sites may indeed produce more modern finds.

We as detectorist can try and use law of averages when deciding on a site, or when choosing to dig a target- based on size, and or conductivity, and or depth, etc.

Site detecting history too can be weighed.
Meaning if hunted real hard, a detectorist may ask themselves, "is it time to start digging more questionable signals"?

Higher conductive targets can sound like lower conductive targets.
Lower conductive targets can sound real close to iron.

Lots of ways a detector can signal on metal in the ground, depending on orientation to ferrous w d other nonferrous metals.

Textbook signals sure sound nice but these types of signals will grow fewer and fewer in a site.
So a detectorist must change or lower their threshold for a dig /no dig decision.

How low should a detectorist lower their threshold for digging?
Purely a personal decision.

One thing I will share here.
I don't know what this means exactly.
I have a big farm I have spent countless hours on detecting.
Have found some nice things-to me anyways.
A very old site for Tn too.

One thing that has NOT happened so far, I have not made one incidental find(nonferrous) period when digging super duper questionable signals, meaning signals that I call questionable and leaning > 90 % chance of being ferrous(based solely on audio provided). This when both detecting in general and testing detectors putting them through their pacesetter.
This testing of detectors, a persons has to dig quite a bit of iron to get baseline for how detector reports, its tendencies.

Maybe one day this trend will be broken, even by a junk nonferrous find.

I still dig some of these super duper questionable signals leaning ferrous big time, even dug a few today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 12:21PM by Sod-buster.
December 03, 2017 03:43AM
When I dig or not depends on these things:

1. Audible signal
2. Screen info.
3. How much trash I've already dug.
4. My attitude/mood that day.

(Sometimes no. 4 may become no. 1).
December 03, 2017 07:38AM
I use 2 tones , zero disc. and dig all signals above iron grunt!
December 03, 2017 08:11AM
Bill long Wrote:
> With all the high tech detectors we use today with
> all the different tones, ID numbers and such. When
> we get a hit are we looking for a reason to dig it
> or a reason not to. Crazy question ain't it?

Bill,
Not a crazy question at all...I think it's an excellent question.
I've had that conversation many times over the decades.

To Illustrate: A tendency I've seen so many times, is for someone with a new (to them) detector to take it out and made several 'good' finds before they've figured out the machine...simply by digging more 'iffy signals'. (Thus looking for a reason TO dig.)
They proudly tell everyone how much better this new machine is than the old one...and how it finds things the old one missed.
But once they've 'learned' the machine, they stop digging those iffy signals, and their finds rate goes right back down to what it was before.

It's because they ended up learning to look for reasons NOT to dig...and thus returned to their old habits of passing up iffy targets.
I've told guys looking for deep silver many times over the years to "Stop looking for reasons NOT to dig!"
(And yes...you'll dig more trash...but if you're not digging trash, you're not finding silver.)

Until detectors are 100% perfect at discrimination in any ground, at any depth, you're still going to have to use the eyeball discriminator to be sure.

To be fair, I still have to catch myself being tempted to pass up targets that aren't perfect...especially when I'm getting tired at the end of a long hunt.

In today's heavily hunted old parks, the perfect signals are long since gone. For the most part, all that's left are the deep 'iffy's' and the co-locate 'iffy's'.
In those environments, you're going to have to look for reasons TO dig...if you want to find the goodies.
Otherwise, you need to be happy with clad.

Who knows....maybe the Equinox will help us change all that. winking smiley

mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 08:26AM by Mike in CO.
December 03, 2017 10:56AM
Mike........ well stated.
December 03, 2017 11:38AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Mike........ well stated.

Thank you, sir. smiling smiley
December 03, 2017 11:59AM
Without reading the other posts.....Well, the question is a bit odd to me. I'm going out there to find old coins. I am looking for a reason TO dig. If I was looking for a reason not to dig.....I'd stay home. I am out there to find. To find, one has to dig. I don't want to wast time... so to minimize the time to find....I use a unit that ups my odds.
December 03, 2017 12:17PM
You ever walk away........ then think i should have dug that? Ive always been one who digs maybe more than i should........ i like surprises. Even on the beach now ..... if i cant tell its iron or a shallow bottle cap im digging it...... all i need is a reason TO dig.

Dew
December 04, 2017 03:57AM
I feel ....time we have to detect..area we are detecting all come into play .....I have used many accurate ID units but the audio comes into play especially on iffy deep targets.
Good previous posts guys and lets add gut feeling just for kicks....
December 04, 2017 02:40PM
I think one of the main factors is knowing your machine. I hunt with a CZ6a (since 1993/1994 when I bought it...yup...still running like the day I got it) and tone hunt. I never look at the meter ( I can't anyway, the way I have my unit mounted upside down and behind my elbow on a straight shaft I can't even see the meter).

Knowing your machine inside and out helps that dig/no dig decision. I was at an old picnic grove site last weekend with my friend and we have hunted this site hundreds of times...and it's probably been hunted thousands over the last 30 years. We always end up finding an old beat up wheatie or a silver coin.

I had a nice sweet high tone hit mixed in with the low tone iron ( I always hunt in discrimination setting 0 on my CZ6a). After circling the target and continually getting a high tone mixed in, and the target sizing fairly small, knowing that this site can still pop up some silver, and knowing what my CZ6a was telling me, I dug the target and it was a nice Merc dime at about 7 inches down.

So I would say my first decision to dig/not dig is what is my trusty CZ6a telling me and second....knowing the site you are on and what it may have produced in the past. Obviously if it's a brand new site, I dig everything at first to see what the site may in store.

My 2 cents.

Peace.
December 04, 2017 06:52PM
I mainly use a F 75 LTD2 DST and while audio is the first trigger to investigate a target, it is almost as important to know what the coil is capable of. I come upon a goodly number of small high tones intermingled with a trash tones that turns out to be good on our hard hunted spots that I even surprise myself sometimes with the find. And, I happen to like Fisher coils very much. HH jim tn
December 04, 2017 10:25PM
Thanks Guys. Great discussion
December 04, 2017 10:51PM
Depends where I am hunting. On the beach I dig it all. In a private yard I never want to dig unwanted holes. But if targets are few and far between I will dig iffy ones. At old sports fields and such places I will dig a certain number of iffy targets looking for gold rings. I will tell myself after 15 pull tabs I am done digging those numbers for the day. It allows the ground to heal and conserves energy. Other factors such as soil moisture and heat play a factor. I hate leaving yellow plugs. I really don't even like to hunt dirt in the Summer months for that reason. One thing I will do is keep returning to a site until I am satisfied I got what was there. In the end I guess I look for reasons to leave that target for later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 10:52PM by goodmore.
December 04, 2017 11:28PM
What about one way signals. You guys digem' right off the bat or do you circle them looking for the 2 way before you decide.
December 04, 2017 11:59PM
PhDtector Wrote:
> When I dig or not depends on these things:
>
> 1. Audible signal
> 2. Screen info.
> 3. How much trash I've already dug.
> 4. My attitude/mood that day.
>
> (Sometimes no. 4 may become no. 1).

I go very similar to above; Audio first, Second, I consider input from screen/display (a possible TID and Depth), I would add, How does the target pinpoint?, The finds I've already made, both good and bad, and my attitude also go into the equation.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
December 05, 2017 12:41AM
I use visual discrimination very little in terms of telling me to dig or nos

I use it in modern trash for thirty minute hunts mostly..get what i can get in least amount of time...

in relic sites...I go by Nuances of audio...

alot of times even solid iron tones are Non ferrous goodies at depth..

tones are an extension of visual ID and they lie too...

its all in the rise and fall of the report when going deeper...cant tell you how much GOOD stuff I've dug in my life that the machine told me not to dig...and that's if the discriminator was even reporting it to begin with...most of my best pieces have came from depths beyond disc abilities.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 05, 2017 12:48AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I use visual discrimination very little in terms o
> f telling me to dig or nos
>
> I use it in modern trash for thirty minute hunts m
> ostly..get what i can get in least amount of time.
> ..
>
>
> in relic sites...I go by Nuances of audio...
>
> alot of times even solid iron tones are Non ferrou
> s goodies at depth..
>
> tones are an extension of visual ID and they lie t
> oo...
>
> its all in the rise and fall of the report when go
> ing deeper...cant tell you how much GOOD stuff I'
> ve dug in my life that the machine told me not to
> dig...and that's if the discriminator was even rep
> orting it to begin with...most of my best pieces h
> ave came from depths beyond disc abilities.
>
> Keith

Yes sir, an iron tone with no numbers is a sure sign to dig it up.
December 05, 2017 02:47AM
I don't think I think when thinking about digging or not. There are characteristics to the detector's signal, audio or visual, but am I really analyzing it? Probably, yes, but subconsciously. It's like driving to work in the morning. I get there by really don't remember the drive. I'm sure people can relate. After detecting a bit there is a zen quality of otherness, you just know when you know (concerning to dig).

If I had to explain it while operating the detector the awareness would ruin that state of natural intuition. It's like playing guitar by ear -- you know the note to play and find it instantly, but you don't know how you know (other than years of practice).

john
December 05, 2017 04:04AM
Monte taught me a simple but effective lesson......if I wanted to find more, then tape a bag over my TDI display.
December 05, 2017 12:01PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
> I don't think I think when thinking about digging
> or not. There are characteristics to the detector'
> s signal, audio or visual, but am I really analyzi
> ng it? Probably, yes, but subconsciously. It's lik
> e driving to work in the morning. I get there by r
> eally don't remember the drive. I'm sure people ca
> n relate. After detecting a bit there is a zen qua
> lity of otherness, you just know when you know (co
> ncerning to dig).
>
> If I had to explain it while operating the detecto
> r the awareness would ruin that state of natural i
> ntuition. It's like playing guitar by ear -- you k
> now the note to play and find it instantly, but yo
> u don't know how you know (other than years of pra
> ctice).
>
> john

Lol, I couldn't have explained it any better, hit the nail on the head with that one. Audio everytime over numbers for me, though some detectors on the market offer such poor report or info on targets that they really need numbers to provide some sort of confidence. Fortunately for me none of those detectors are in my inventory.
Analog vs digital
November 14, 2019 11:35PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:

The perfect answer
> I don't think I think when thinking about digging
> or not. There are characteristics to the detector'
> s signal, audio or visual, but am I really analyzi
> ng it? Probably, yes, but subconsciously. It's lik
> e driving to work in the morning. I get there by r
> eally don't remember the drive. I'm sure people ca
> n relate. After detecting a bit there is a zen qua
> lity of otherness, you just know when you know (co
> ncerning to dig).
>
> If I had to explain it while operating the detecto
> r the awareness would ruin that state of natural i
> ntuition. It's like playing guitar by ear -- you k
> now the note to play and find it instantly, but yo
> u don't know how you know (other than years of pra
> ctice).
>
> john
November 15, 2019 12:21AM
I have both digital and analog model detectors because they keep finding things behind each other. However, the beep-and-dig machines are way faster for me. Tone ID has been a blessing. Screens, for me are distracting and is an extra step in determining to dig or not.
November 15, 2019 12:36AM
PhDtector Wrote:
> When I dig or not depends on these things:
>
> 1. Audible signal
> 2. Screen info.
> 3. How much trash I've already dug.
> 4. My attitude/mood that day.
>
> (Sometimes no. 4 may become no. 1).

Yep agree with this wholeheartedly thumbs down

If you're at a site with tons of small arms shells, it gets tedious digging them. On the same token, I've also dug some pretty cool targets in those ranges, so it just depends. If I've been digging tons of them with no keepers, and I'm getting past my half way point of the hunt, I tend to get into cherry picking mode. Especially if it's a site I don't have competition at, as those targets aren't going anywhere, so they live to see another day in the dirt until I return. It also depends on the site, we have a few (very few on the west coast) late 1700's to early 1800's sites that I will dig every conductor that makes a peep because these old sites tend not to have too many small arms shell discards, and those conductors that come in the same TID range tend to be small buttons and other interesting bits.
November 15, 2019 12:46AM
Wow, this is an old post.

I distinctly recall when the very first TID machines hit the market, in about 1983-ish. Several of us balked at the notion. And would say things like : "That's ridiculous. You're going to dig it up anyhow, so why do you need a read-out # before hand ?" haha

And even now, even when I'm in "dig all relic mindset", (going to dig it whether it read foil or quarter), yet it's still fun to have the readout or tone or whatever. There's something exciting about getting the "perfect penny/dime" signal, in an area where you *know* that there is zero chance that it's a modern coin smiling smiley
November 15, 2019 12:52AM
After years of hunting with a PI, I am now using a couple of different VLF / multi frequency machines.
My decision to dig or not is dictated by sound.
And even then I will still dig an occasional, obvious iron signal, just to be sure that things are working as they should.
My motto is... When in doubt... Dig It.
November 15, 2019 03:07AM
Sometimes it nice to break out the old analog detector for some peace & quiet.
I will set it in coin mode and only dig target deeper than 6"
The detector is quiet as a church mouse until it hits a target.
I dug a 10" Mercury dime the other day the thinnest dime I ever dug.
Some day I just don't feel like hearing or seeing all that INFO on the new detectors.