Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beep and dig machines

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Beep and dig machines
December 10, 2017 02:47PM
I'm looking to add a beep and dig unit for relic hunting. I sometimes miss hunting with one. Leaning toward the black Vaquero but just wondering what some of you folks use and maybe a little advice.
Re: Beep and dig machines
December 10, 2017 03:23PM
Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon. Great selection of coils. Small 5.75 concentric for heavy iron trash works great. They are very deep machines. Vaquero GB is easier than the Tejon. Every relic hunter should have a good Tesoro in their arsenal.
December 10, 2017 03:45PM
I like the ED-120 Tesoros, for example:from the past, Bandido, Bandido ll, Bandido ll µMax, Pantera or the current Outlaw. They all work well in an iron contaminated site.
December 10, 2017 03:47PM
Tesoro would be my pick for their audio variances....helping to dig or not...
December 10, 2017 04:28PM
Yes pobably have to go with a Tesoro nowadays. Back when Nautilus was rollin' would be My first choice. But they are heavy, eat batteries, and the New thin coils do tend to go out of balance easier than the thicker older style ones. But man in Mild to Moderate ground they can punch deep on low conducters!
December 10, 2017 04:45PM
Nautilus DMC2B in avg good soils are still the King in Dept. Wayne Lee new "Full Owner" has company up and running was making new DMC2b and all past coil issue resolved . There info on Facebook under Nautilus Detectors .
December 10, 2017 04:51PM
Would a Vaquero be the best machine for Relic hunting ?? they are reasonably deep but relics i would have thought would be slightly deeper,i guess it all depends on how you define a relic i suppose,for me a relic or artifact would be deeper and something like a MXT would have been my choice of detector for relic hunting,but i do own a Vaquero variation but it would not be my choice of machine and even thought it has the 11x8 coil on it still mediocre depth wise.

Prehaps relic hunting across the pond demand a different machine and tactic than the UK,i only use the Vaquero with a small coil on for really trashy sites of getting in between the stubble but not for relic/artifact hunting though.
December 10, 2017 05:35PM
relicstevemd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nautilus DMC2B in avg good soils are still the Kin
> g in Dept. Wayne Lee new "Full Owner" has comp
> any up and running was making new DMC2b and all pa
> st coil issue resolved . There info on Facebook u
> nder Nautilus Detectors .
Yes Wayne rebalance one of My Coils that was a thin model made By the Guy Who bought Jerry out.
I see they are dark colored now. I had one of the First Run IIBa's with the thicker coil. Jerry still owned the company then. 3 and half Years I had it without one issue. Dug a 12" Indian head penny with it using a 8" Coil!
Then bought a couple after Jerry sold company with the thin coil and started having problems with them holding the balance. I hope Wayne got it straight as still one of My All-Time fave Machines.
Man wish I had that first one back as it was a Goodun'!
December 10, 2017 06:03PM
Welgund Wrote:
> Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon. Great selection of coils
> . Small 5.75 concentric for heavy iron trash work
> s great. They are very deep machines. Vaquero GB
> is easier than the Tejon. Every relic hunter shou
> ld have a good Tesoro in their arsenal.

2xs that for ready available machines still on the market today. thumbs down
December 10, 2017 06:26PM
The old Fisher 1266 went very deep...but not too good if near power poles with emi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 06:26PM by guvmore.
December 10, 2017 06:52PM
In disc mode in my soil my Vaquero with the 8 x 11 rsd coil is deeper than my F75 in boost and nokta relic. If set up right with a slight negative GB and sense cranked up into the red and backed off until it quiets down and they are extremely deep especially if you get a hot one.
December 10, 2017 07:02PM
Welgund Wrote:
> In disc mode in my soil my Vaquero with the 8 x 11
> rsd coil is deeper than my F75 in boost and nokta
> relic. If set up right with a slight negative GB
> and sense cranked up into the red and backed off u
> ntil it quiets down and they are extremely deep es
> pecially if you get a hot one.

Very interesting you posted this. I bought my Sharpshooter coil from one of my buddies. When I went to pick it up, he was in his garage hooking up a new RSD 8x11 on his Vaquero. He tossed a minie ball down on the ground and ran it over it...seeing how high he could lift the coil and still get a signal. His Vaquero was hotter than his DST model T2 with factory coil. In all fairness though, his T2 does seem to be one of the neutered ones. I just thought it was interesting you posted this, cause it hasn't even been a week since I saw what I just told about.

Me personally...as for beep and digs, I like the Minelab Musketeer Advantage pretty well. Handles bad soil really well and goes deep. You can find them for $250 or less most of the time. If I was buying a new one, I personally would go with one of the Deep Tech machines. They are Tesoro on steroids.
December 10, 2017 09:21PM
In dry weather soil can shrink and get some fairly large cracks. I've often wondered how deep a coin ends up going if it falls into one of those. Probably never find out.
December 10, 2017 10:13PM
In my moderate soil my Vaquero with the 9 x 8 concentric search coil attached goes super deep. A quarter turn to the negative on the ground balance is the key to getting good depth in my soil.

tabman
December 11, 2017 09:44AM
Tesoro Vaquero gets my vote.
December 11, 2017 11:28AM
I like the Vaquero. I also love my Pirate and Thracian because they have 2 tone ID along with a manual ground balance. I have two Deeptech machines also. Your welcome to play with one if you like!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 11:35AM by Alpha Goat.
December 11, 2017 11:39AM
Can't go wrong with this setup. Nautilus 2b with White's rod conversion, and the newer black coil. Not so heavy and can hunt all day.
December 11, 2017 06:44PM
guvmore Wrote:
> The old Fisher 1266 went very deep...but not too g
> ood if near power poles with emi.

I had one back in the late 1990's, great machine but wore me out audibly. And no, the adjective "Rice Crispy" audio didn't bother me at all and this was because I run it sensibly. I only used the boost sensitivity when I could use it without being too noisy, if it becomes too noisy, back it off. It had a saturated audio hit that gave good modulation after around 8 inches deep, trouble was, it lost any sort of discrimination at that depth too....LOL
December 11, 2017 11:24PM
Thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate everyones input. I think I'm gonna put a dirty old sock over the screen of my T2's and see how that flies. LOL
December 12, 2017 03:44AM
I see no mention of the XP GMP or ML Musketeer or Tejon or many of the Deep tech units on the market. All mostly beep and dig machines
December 12, 2017 04:54AM
Hombre Wrote:
> guvmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The old Fisher 1266 went very deep...but not too
> g
> > ood if near power poles with emi.
>
>
> I had one back in the late 1990's, great machine b
> ut wore me out audibly. And no, the adjective "Ric
> e Crispy" audio didn't bother me at all and this w
> as because I run it sensibly. I only used the boos
> t sensitivity when I could use it without being to
> o noisy, if it becomes too noisy, back it off. It
> had a saturated audio hit that gave good modulatio
> n after around 8 inches deep, trouble was, it lost
> any sort of discrimination at that depth too....LO
> L

Yes I do recall digging some real deep nails, still do at times but not as many, classic machine. hh