Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

5" CZ-3D coil

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
5" CZ-3D coil
February 12, 2013 04:26PM
Whilst at the detector dealer getting my goldbug 2 fixed, I had a snoop around in the coil box.

Guess what I found a 5" multifrequency old coin digger coil.
Very happy indeed,... because I just love my cherry picker CZ.

Time and weather permitting I'll fire it up and see what I've been missing.

HH
Johnb
Re: 5" CZ-3D coil
February 12, 2013 06:13PM
I've managed to work in between some really old sqaure nails and find some really nice buttons and coins with that coil.
A nice addition to the arsenal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 06:25PM by Aaron.
February 12, 2013 09:35PM
John,

Using the stock 8" coil on your CZ.............. see how a handful of nickels (one at a time) ..... ID's on your CZ. Then.............. switch to the newly discovered 5" CZ coil............ and repeat the test. (There's a reason).
February 13, 2013 06:59AM
I managed an indoor air-test, small coil seems to drop some coins into square pulltab box.
Now that is weird?

Anyhow,... when I'm going digging a few of every tone will get dug, even iron.
Just to see what is going on.

HH
Johnb
February 13, 2013 02:21PM
From experience remember you can usually run your sens. higher and get extra depth and certainly an asset in trashy areas and worked out areas where large coils just won't go (edges of sidewalks, near obstructions, around trees)...well you get the idea....certainly light and you really learn what overlapping means...
February 13, 2013 02:24PM
"Square pull-tab" ??? Are these nickels........ or other coins?
February 13, 2013 03:37PM
No,... they weren't what you guys would call Nickels.
A 5 Belgian Franc 1980 something Cu

I've only found a single coin what I think would class as a nickel.
1965 1 French Franc Ni it registered beavertail pulltab if I remember correctly with the 5" coil.

Anyhow don't read too much into it. Airtest was only to give the coil a go.
Everything works, behaves differently from the 8" coil,... so every tone will get dug until I understand what it is telling me.

Now, ... how about some decent weather!!

HH
Johnb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 09:33PM by scoopjohnb.
February 14, 2013 05:27AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
>
> Using the stock 8" coil on your CZ..............
> see how a handful of nickels (one at a time) .....
> ID's on your CZ. Then.............. switch to the
> newly discovered 5" CZ coil............ and repeat
> the test. (There's a reason).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,,,Don't keep me hanging on this one inquiring minds need to know............Thanks....JJ
February 14, 2013 12:29PM
Of all the coils for the CZ........... the 5" coil is most likely (highest probability) of having a impedance mismatch. The first area it will be noticed...... will be in greater inaccuracy in reference to target ID. Since the nickel icon/window of a CZ is the tightest/narrowest in the industry........ and is a mid/low conductor.......... this presents the easiest area for the owner/operator to test impedance match/mismatch.

Sunray coils can easily have the same error.

If you heavily depend upon target ID..... this can pose a major problem.

This issue is not exclusively isolated to CZ's; rather, all brands of detectors and coil combo's. However; the CZ platform is one of the most ID (conductively) accurate units on the market (tightest ID tolerance); subsequently, err is more readily witnessed.

If you take a AT Pro, E-Trac, V3i......... using the same nickel for reliability testing.............. then keep swapping (testing) different coils for each brand unit............. you will notice variations in nickel ID.

This is why............ when someone sends me a unit to be calibrated/validated/certified........... I request the 'primary' coil. This should be the coil that came with the unit (stock coil).............. or the coil that you use the most....,,,,,,...... of which, then, I will calibrate the unit to that specific coil.
February 14, 2013 04:44PM
Tom did the rest with my 5" coil on my CZ3D. Used 16 dug nickels all came in as high tone except one shiny one that bounced between high tone nickel and round pull tab. Is this normal and the way it is suppose to be on a well tuned CZ3D?
February 15, 2013 12:31AM
For 'dug' nickels......... that is a good resultant/ratio.
February 15, 2013 01:40AM
Hi,,,So am I to take it that the older nickels in the ground are still going to high tone???? What about other denominations of coins???? I tend to dig only high tones maybe that's not a good plan for any future hunts....I would test my 5" coil but I'm not certain it's functioning properly as I only get 8" in an air test.....According to what I read that's not right....JJ
February 15, 2013 01:45AM
jj............ a properly tuned/correct 3D will ID nearly ALL older generation nickels as 'high-tone'. Newer 'undug' unoxidized nickels are less reliable.

If your 5" coil is good for about 8" on a dime............ may I speculate that your 8" coil is good to only about 10" ??? If the 8" coil is closer to 12" on a clad dime........... then the 5" coil is in error.
February 15, 2013 01:51AM
Hi,,,You tuned it Tom and specified it attaining 11.? in the ground....It probably would air test 10" to 11" and hitting both ways plus displaying proper ID with no problem....Thanks....JJ
February 15, 2013 01:56AM
Okay........... sounds like the 5" coil is in error a bit. I did not look up the spec's of your unit in my notes.
February 15, 2013 02:07AM
Hi....When I tested this 5" coil I left the settings the same as the 8" coil....The wire on this coil did have splits all up & down it so I contacted the Fisher company regarding this issue and they basically told me to take a hike....I put a new outside covering on this coil to cover the splits....Maybe something internally is wrong on this coil??? Thanks....JJ
February 15, 2013 03:48AM
It may still be okay....... as long as moisture has not penetrated the inner insulation of the actual wires. But......... still concerned about impedance.
February 15, 2013 08:00AM
Sounds like I'm going to need another CZ-3D to go with the 5" coil, then let it take at trip to the USA.
No hurry though,... still need to take it out for a field-trip.

HH
Johnb