Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got a Hunt in Today captured some unique footage on video

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got a Hunt in Today captured some unique footage on video
February 19, 2013 03:14AM
hunted an Civil Way house site today right on a battlefield.....

did some video also...I managed to capture a hole full of iron producing a couple of iron keeper's...

People wrote this house site off as dead....yet as you will see unique relics lie inch's below the surface,,,yet oblivious to the detectorist who chooses not to dig iron bigger than nails...

glad I captured the scene on video...Sorry for the blip during the scene were I open the hole and get the Enfield trigger and barrel band with sling swivel but my memory was full on my camera....had to delete some stuff then start back up...
[www.youtube.com]

here's the take...

The cannon ball frag seems to be a C.S. 12 Pounder side loader...

Model 1853 Enfield trigger assembly

Enfield barrel band with sling mount..

3 pieces of melted lead..

Re: Got a Hunt in Today captured some unique footage on video
February 19, 2013 05:02AM
Nice hunt, nice spot on the creek I love places like that, laughed out loud by the time you dug that barrel band, you seem 2 know what it is before you even get the dirt off it,very impressive what is that muscle memory?
February 19, 2013 11:29AM
Hey Keith i really liked the creek area back ground someday when i retire i'm going to find a place like that to and live i hope, you got some good old spots for sure!
February 19, 2013 11:39AM
Keith ,
The time you have spent hunting Civil War relics really shows , also the time you have spent wtih your detectors .....You have a good grasp of what tones and nuances come up on each particular item ...good job !!.....Jim
February 19, 2013 11:43AM
Nice, Keith. Let's see, you carried your detector, 2 coils, shovel, finds, 4 bricks, and camera back to the truck, oh, and a big smile.
February 19, 2013 01:53PM
Thanks for sharing Keith, nice video.

I bet there's tons of stuff in that creek, can't wait till you bring the ATPro in there!
February 19, 2013 02:17PM
Awesome finds!!!! I mean AWESOME!!!!!!!! Yes, the creek should be loaded!!!! Especially with the fighting that went on!!! And all of the casualties, looking for some water to drink!!! Or even during camping.....some people would drink from the creek by leaning over and lapping, cause their hands were dirty....and out of their front pocket.....things would fall, into the water. There just ain't no telling!!!! Great video!!!! Seeing that barrel band in the side of the hole got my adrenaline pumping. I was going to take a break today. But I might have to try to work in an hour or two at a favorite site. Vids like these motivate me to grab a detector and hit the sites!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 02:49PM by Kevin B.
February 19, 2013 03:40PM
Great vid Keith.
February 19, 2013 08:47PM
Nice vid Kieth - you sure read/call the targets pretty good with that vista!

I've gotta get out with my new Tejon and get some time in on it (soon as this damn snow/crap goes away)!

HH
February 19, 2013 11:35PM
Thanks fella's...

Most of the objects you dig in relic hunting can be id'ed pretty quick after you have dug enough of it over the year's..

some times something will get you to head scratching though...

Yes that creek needs some serious scouring...I had an old timer back 30 years ago tell me he pulled a whole musket with bayonet out of the side of that creek back in the 60's....

I am glad I caught a bit of target retrieval in iron on video...

And thats the main point I try to get across...no matter the machine you use, learn to work on the strange iron signals that are different from the constant nail signal's...But you need to be in a really old site to do such...yet the rewards are there...A compadre learned properly will do the same as a 1000 dollar detector when exploring weird signals... ....just look for a tool that fits you and helps you...O sure a split tone iron I.d machine works better if used right ...But the bottom line is learn, learn, learn whatever you have...I try alot of machine's and like alot of machines...but knowing what to look for in a simple detector and using it to advanatge is more important than having a awesome detector and not using it to full potential...I like to show what I like but it may not be for everbody as whet you like may not be the perfect machine for me...

I need to understand that and maybe not talk too much about what I find in my personal test... as it can be misconstrued ...I probably look at things different that other's detector wise and wordly wise....

Keith
February 19, 2013 11:47PM
Well said and true, especially on regards to knowing your machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 01:05AM by Aaron.
February 20, 2013 12:24AM
Keith said ; "I need to understand that and maybe not talk too much about what I find in my personal test"

I disagree Keith.

I for one, from listening and watching your videos, can figure out what can be used, or not, in my area, in my soil and with the machines I use.
If you try to walk on eggshells, so to speak, we will miss some valuable information. So I say keep teaching the way you have been. If someone takes it the wrong way, that usually means they are new to this forum and they don't know you, or they are just plain crotchety.
February 20, 2013 05:00PM
Agree. Tell it like it is. Spit the truth.
February 20, 2013 11:33PM
Sometimes the truth/honesty/excitement/enjoyment for a product can be considered trying to push a product for personal gain....

Yet nothing's further from the truth..Never gained nothing but self satisfaction/enjoyment from freely talking about detector's...

I am glad we have a forum to freely talk about product's...And our OWN test we do....Some places such talk is not allowed...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 11:37PM by Keith Southern.
February 21, 2013 02:42AM
Keith,

Thanks for all the info and keep the videos coming.

Ken
February 21, 2013 07:19PM
Keith I have come to love the iron relics as well. I love all the strange shapes and find that some of the iron relics are the coolest things to come from some sites. Working a site down is a technique I have done for years as well. I hunted one old house-site in an area that had significant troop movement. I started out finding 3 copper mess plates. Then just household stuff, indian head pennies, sash buckles, suspender clips etc. etc. I was about to give up on the site holding any Civil War Relics. Then on my 5th visit to this house-site I dug an early militia button and a CSN button the same day. Then the next trip dug a CS Lousianna 2 piece tongue and wreath in an area myself and others had been over multiple times. I am a firm believer that you have to get the relics out in layers and don't be too quick to give up on a site. Your next trip might suprise you. I love the fact that you give honest an un-biased testing of detectors. Keep it up
February 21, 2013 09:38PM
Hey thanks for the encouragement John...Means alot...

Yes you are correct ..relics come in layer's...lots of sites were lived in before and after the civil war and the top layer can be 20th century....

I have seen sites like that work on them and work on them then the relics start to show up....

Thats CSN is tops on my list congrats for sure...

and man a Louisiana Tounge and wreath ,,,,AWESOME!!!

And its crazy is it not, sometimes the stuff is just inches under the dirt yet has been swung over for decades...With every machine imaginable....

Thats why the right tools are so important for the job...and we are just starting to get better equipment to rescour the old dead spots....

thanks

Keith
February 22, 2013 01:02AM
"Thats why the right tools are so important for the job...and we are just starting to get better equipment to rescour the old dead spots.."

Keith,
THIS is the reason for me ordering a Gold ..... Not for the depth , but for all the targets that I can just BET that I missed due to masking .....I already had a HUGE discovery whereby an ETrac was able to hear a Barber dime that was not all the deep in the ground , that a Sovereign completely missed ...... My partner and I went over this Barber over and over again making every possible adjustment on the Soveign and every possible angle and speed , to no avail .......The ETrac hit it loud and proud ......Now I will go back to the same area with the Gold , and hope to clean up !!....smiling smiley ......JIm
February 22, 2013 01:07AM
Ah yes the sovereign does try to quiten the iron down too much....

As the Etrac allows you to hear it...Better unmasking...

the Variable split tone High kHz will sniff more out than one might think behind that Etrac...

Nothing like experiencing eye opening result's

Cant wait to see your comment's.

Keith
February 22, 2013 11:11AM
The ETrac has that wider ID range that the Sovereign shuts off in the lower iron range ......The better range , and the more intricate/adjustable iron range of the AT Pro is what also makes it so beneficial when dealing with the lower iron range !!!...... Enter DT Gold whereby you can now hear a broad range with tell tail tone WITHOUT the mask !!........BINGO !!!......Jim
February 22, 2013 03:23PM
Thanks for all you do keith, very educational!
February 23, 2013 04:37AM
Thank you possum!

Keith