Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold First Impressions

Posted by dalpal 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Vista Gold First Impressions
March 01, 2013 10:25PM
I have had the vista gold for a little over a week and have been customizing it to my liking. I got rid of most of the stem wiggle by slightly expanding the upper male joint and putting a piece of ( 3/4" PVC pipe cut to 1/2" long and split the short way) slid over the female side of the upper and lower joint clamp. The pvc is put against the cam ring and taped with electrical tape. This allows the clamp to get tighter and stay in position with almost no wiggle. I also replaced the coiled wire on a set of treasure wise headphones with a coiled wire that is a little longer and much more supple. This has made the setup much more comfortable for me.

The soil in upstate NY is still mostly frozen but I did find a few thawed spots to try the detector. I have a test garden behind my 1840's house that has only been in for about a year. I cleaned the soil with a rare earth magnet before placing the items in it. The gold located about 8 of the ten buried items at depths of 6" to 12". The best I had done with other machines was 3 out of ten. But to be fair this is the first winter with any frost. Like most old houses in the area there has been a lot of garbage buried along with coal ash and misc ferrous items. Most other the new targets that I could dig because of frost have been shallow. So far I have been digging everything trying to learn the detector, the majority have been aluminum foil , small pieces of tin and some bent square nails. I did make two decent finds so far: a child's toy ring and a crossed bolt action rifle insignia, probably WWI era. I probably would not have dug these two items with my other detectors thinking that they were trash .

I like to give myself about 50 to 100 Hrs before I feel really sure of a detector. With about 10 hrs so far I have noticed that it is fairly easy to tell the size of most targets but difficult for me to tell the depth of anything less than about 6 ". I can tell the larger crumpled pieces of foil are trash but smaller ones are a challenge. Playing with the disc helps but I almost did not dig the crossed rife insignia because it almost disappeared when the disc was maxed out. In heavy iron areas I have noticed some deeper broken signals which on other machines might have averaged up to a more consistent tone. I am going to do a lot of digging to master the nuances the the gold but on sites that have little modern trash I think it has a lot of potential. Can't wait for the ground to thaw.

Re: Vista Gold First Impressions
March 01, 2013 10:51PM
A real nice peice of history there.
Congrats!
March 02, 2013 12:53AM
very nice! glad the the gold is working for you!
March 02, 2013 07:29AM
Extremely nice find! The Vista Gold is an awesome relic machine. I put the Whites long man shaft on mine and used an aluminum shim under the locking collar to make it solid. Worked great. Added a pair of Black Widow headphones and really worked great on my first hunt with it today. I wish the battery box were not located in the bottom of the S shaft or I would make it a straight shaft. Much easier to swing for several hours ( learned from water hunting). Maybe when the warranty runs out I will do just that. Customizing a machine shows that it really is worth your time to do, and the Vista Gold for a relic hunter is going to be an extreme machine in my opinion.
Anonymous User
March 02, 2013 12:11PM
That's a cool idea - can't wait to get mine...should be next week...

search and recovery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Extremely nice find! The Vista Gold is an awesome
> relic machine. I put the Whites long man shaft on
> mine and used an aluminum shim under the locking
> collar to make it solid. Worked great. Added a
> pair of Black Widow headphones and really worked
> great on my first hunt with it today. I wish the
> battery box were not located in the bottom of the
> S shaft or I would make it a straight shaft. Much
> easier to swing for several hours ( learned from
> water hunting). Maybe when the warranty runs out I
> will do just that. Customizing a machine shows
> that it really is worth your time to do, and the
> Vista Gold for a relic hunter is going to be an
> extreme machine in my opinion.
March 02, 2013 08:38PM
Good onfo...

Like the insignia!

Keep the disc at nail reject....or risk loosing low conductors in iron...

yes I like 40-50 or so hours on a machine to get to know it before making a decision...

Keith